10 Favourite Albums Ever - IN ORDER

The final culmination of the countdown threads.

Let’s see what you got.

EDIT: No compilation/best of/greatest hits in your 10, but throw your favourites in after

1 Like

Can they be compilation albums, or do they need to stand alone?

Must be standalone.

For the sake of being sporting, you can throw in your favourite compilation in at the end

Two years ago

But now…

1. 10, 9, 8, 7 , 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Midnight Oil
  2. The Wall - Pink Floyd
  3. Big Science - Laurie Anderson
  4. Flood - They Might Be Giants
  5. Eternal Nightcap - The Whitlams
  6. Gossip - Paul Kelly & the Coloured Girls
  7. Songs From The Big Chair - Tears for Fears
  8. New York - Lou Reed
  9. Red Sails In the Sunset - Midnight Oil
  10. The Swing - INXS
5 Likes

I checked my desert island list, but the premise meant they weren’t necessarily my top ten faves. Hmm, I’ll think and post later.

1. Skylarking - XTC
  2. The Bends - Radiohead
  3. The Ideal Crash - dEUS
  4. Sleepless - Ups & Downs
  5. Place Without A Postcard - Midnight Oil
  6. Astronauts - The Lilac Time
  7. Ok Computer - Radiohead
  8. Abbey Road - The Beatles
  9. The Blue Album - Weezer
  10. Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb - Tripping Daisy
6 Likes

A formidable task - not only to list em, but also in order…sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiitttttttttt!!!

Here goes:

1. London Calling - The Clash

2. Nevermind - Nirvana

3. Paranoid - Black Sabbath

4. Master of Puppets - Metallica

5. The Wall - Pink Floyd

6. Back in Black - AC/DC

7. Appetite for Destruction - Guns N’ Roses

8. News of the World - Queen

9. Power, Corruption & Lies - New Order

10. Northern Exposure - Sasha & Digweed

11 Likes

Late to the countdown lists but top 10 albums I have to bite.

1. Ok Computer - Radiohead - Easily my fav album. I just love it.

Is this it - The Strokes
Siamese dream - Smashing pumpkins
Fever to tell - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Rated R - Queens of the Stone Age
Angel Dust - Faith No More
The unfinished Spanish Galleon - Spiderbait
Sky blue Sky - Wilco
Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
Drowning in the fountain of youth- Dan Kelly

That was really hard. So many not in the list that I could have put in. Maybe I’ll do it tomorrow and get a completely different list. I’m sure I’ll read a bunch of additional posts and be like why didn’t i put that album in…

Also compilations I could easily do a top 10 of those but I’d probably have to go with Fleetwood Mac - greatest hits. Been listening to that since I was a kid and the old man bought it as one of his first CDs (remember those - now I don’t even have a CD player at all) and it still gets a run in the car on iTunes now

5 Likes

I could do this list every day, and get a different list. This has also changed a bit since doing the DJ thread and sifting through all my old stuff. Quite a few albums I’d totally forgotten how good they were, and also a few went the other way as well.

So, as of this minute:

1. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

2. Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

3. Pearl Jam - Vs.

4. At the Drive In - Relationship of Command

5. Tool - Aenima

6. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the shape

7. The Fratellis - Costello Music.

8. Faith No More - King For a Day.

9. Stone Temple Pilots - No.4

10. Fatboy Slim - You’ve Come a long way, Baby.

*** Daft Punk Alive 2007 would have made the list, but it’s technically a live greatest hits (at the time) Album, so Dell’s rules disallow it.

5 Likes

I have a mate who swears by these guys. Apart from Dr Worm and the Malcolm theme, I don’t know that much of them.

Would this album be the best point to jump in?

1 Like

I was gonna say, ‘course I’m gonna say that…’, but I see what you mean.
It’s very accessible, yes.

1 Like

Just listening to it now.

It’s not what I expected (although I’m not sure what I was expecting) but it’s pretty cool, I like.

3 Likes
  1. Ok Computer - Radiohead
  2. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
  3. Black Light - Groove Armada
  4. King for a Day - FNM
  5. Aenima - Tool
  6. Blood Sugar Sex Magic - RHCP
  7. The Joshua Tree - U2
  8. Currents - Tame Impala
  9. Disintegration - The Cure
  10. Sound as Ever - You Am I

Some amazing top 10s in here

2 Likes

What are Tripping Daisy like?

Summer Hits 1996 - 2006

2 Likes

That’s 11. :wink:

4 Likes

Ummm… hard to pigeon-hole. Kind of like The Flaming Lips, as sung by Ray Davies of The Kinks. Tim De Laughter (the singer) went on to form The Polyphonic Spree, so if you know them you’ll know the vocal sound.
They came in at the tailend of grunge, so their early material was a bit heavier. They got some radio play on Triple J at that time with this one, which you may know…

Later on (including the album I mentioned) they got a bit more whimiscal and pyschedelic-pop, with lots of harmonies. Songs tended to duck and weave and change direction mid-track. This one might give you a bit of an idea… just a great, great pop-song!

2 Likes

Absolutely - this and Apollo 18 would be their high-watermark IMO. In fact, Flood would be dangerously close to my top 10 actually…

It’s funny… early days I thought “wouldn’t it be great if they decided to get a full-band and flesh their sound out”. They did just that, somehow lost their magic and have (more or less) bored me since then. Album after album of uninspiringly produced sameness, with only the odd flash of life… I honestly couldn’t tell their last half-a-dozen albums apart sadly…

1 Like

Just listened to the whole album again.
Gosh, it’s good.
I understand how some might not be able to get past the voice, or be infuriated by the deliberate Weird Al style nerdishness.
They absolutely have great moments before and after, but for me this is their strongest album by a long, long way.
LMW became a fan through The Sun Is A Mass of Incandescent Gas (it made her feel smart when she was five) and later Dr Worm, but if you yelled out ‘Minimum Wage’ now, she’d respond with a ‘Hyah!’
There are big thoughts here.
Some of them are blatant, like in Your Racist Friend, others are a bit more subtle.

I could do without Hot Cha, frankly, and the eponymous track, but other that I think it’s pretty much all gold.

1 Like

I love how the album is deliberately set-up like a movie, with tracks designed to be like opening and closing credits (can’t you just imagine the credits rolling up over Road Movie To Berlin, as the cinema-goers file out?)

From Birdhouse In Your Soul (the perfect pop song?) through to Whistling In the Dark is fantastic music, and side one in particular (I’ve still got my original LP of it!) is just sublime.

1 Like