#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Will play primarily as a forward next year I understand.

Go figure, recruit a HBF’er and then play him forward!

Except your joke fails because everyone described him as a utility in the lead up to the draft.

What Joke. A utility at junior level ALWAYS ends up on the HBF for a majority of the time.

I don’t agree
Best utilities modern era.

• Adam Goodes - ruck/mid/forward
  • Chad Cornes - Back/Mid/forward
  • Pavlich - Mid / Forward (AA at centre half forward, full forward, full back and the midfield).
  • Hodge - Mid / Back + has kicked bag of 5 goals against us forward.
  • Godard - HBF/Mid/Foward

Nothing better than a good utility.

Will play primarily as a forward next year I understand.

Go figure, recruit a HBF’er and then play him forward!

Except your joke fails because everyone described him as a utility in the lead up to the draft.

What Joke. A utility at junior level ALWAYS ends up on the HBF for a majority of the time.

I don’t agree
Best utilities modern era.

• Adam Goodes - ruck/mid/forward
  • Chad Cornes - Back/Mid/forward
  • Pavlich - Mid / Forward (AA at centre half forward, full forward, full back and the midfield).
  • Hodge - Mid / Back + has kicked bag of 5 goals against us forward.
  • Godard - HBF/Mid/Foward

Nothing better than a good utility.

Except a great utility

Just watched the gach nguyen video. When Gach outmarked he was angry. I like he brings that passion to training.

Big is Beautiful.

This isn't a joe thread but I couldn't help but notice how many times Joe took the ball on his chest instead of out front at training on Friday. And not a chest mark like Mark Harvey used to take. Instead that awkward hands upward on chest kind of style.

Players have been crucified for ever taking chestmarks at training in the past. Its marking 101 so why practice it. Maybe Joe has sore hands/fingers?

When Aaron claimed that he had grown to 193cm since the Draft Combine, it started me thinking of things I’d heard regarding the training of, and the performance of athletes, while they are undergoing a growth spurt. Aaron’s modified training might purely be about building his ‘tank’, but it might also be modified for other reasons.

Keeping in mind that a 193cm 93kg (possible) key position player is not expected to out sprint Travis Colyer.

According to the book Bright Futures in Practice: Physical Activity, published by Georgetown University, a temporary decline in coordination and balance may occur during puberty because of rapid growth. In many cases, this decline is not only demonstrated through sports performance, but also in regular physical activity. This experience can be frustrating for coaches, trainers, youth athletes, and parents, particularly if this decrease in athleticism is interpreted as a lack of skill or effort.

“Based on sports fundamentals, AGS training should focus on movement-based strength, overall fitness, speed and agility, plyometric work, and instilling confidence.”

Knowing that adolescent growth spurts (AGS) and the accompanying athletic awkwardness are normal in this phase of puberty does not make it any easier for the youth athlete. As well as physically affecting sports performance, AGS can also affect athletes socially and mentally. It can also have detrimental effects on core strength, postural control, and performance - including skill, speed, coordination, and agility - as athletes struggle to adjust to their rapidly growing and changing bodies.

Adolescent coaches and trainers recognize the physical changes that occur during AGS can decrease overall skills, speed, coordination, and agility. Coaches, trainers, parents, and athletes must also be aware of the athlete’s susceptibility to training injuries, especially during and after AGS.

The good news is that coaches and trainers who are aware of AGS can help alleviate and reduce athletic awkwardness by incorporating specific aspects of training into practices and training sessions. The Soccer Speed & Agility Clinic ebook, published by the Soccer Fit Academy, addresses these particulars of training. Although this book is geared specifically to soccer players, the common-sense approach of training through AGS is applicable to youth athletes of every sport.

Based on sports fundamentals, AGS training should focus on the following five factors:

Movement-based strength
Overall fitness
Speed and agility
Plyometric work
Confidence

It is important to note that while AGS is considered phased training, the fundamentals may be used separately or may be merged. The emphasis in AGS training, as opposed to a regular training session, is that particular attention is paid to the execution of proper biomechanics through all aspects of training for a growing athlete.

http://www.internationalfootballschool.com/2013/07/31/training-load-and-the-growth-spurt/

Training load means the accumulation of purposeful practice. The number of practices per week + the intensity of the practice + the duration of a practice can determine a player’s ‘load’ and if not carefully managed, particularly during the growth spurt phase, it can lead to an accumulation of fatigue, resulting in a drop in performance and worse, a greater risk of injury. Nutrition and good recovery techniques are of great importance as well.

It’s particularly important to manage players during their growth spurts. In essence the body needs a lot of energy to grow and if that energy is being spent on a heavy training load, the body has little resources left to repair and grow.

RIP Francis

Sounds like the coaching staff are planning for him to play a lot of footy this year. You often see kids eased in to it and given a year or more to build their tank and then get more fitness in the two’s during the year but with the workload he is on it seems they are fast tracking him to be ready for round 1. He will be fine, he is a fairly decent size and didn’t play the last bit of the season so he is starting behind the 8 ball so to speak

With all this talk of tank issue, he will soon be known as Jay Francis or Aaron Neagle.

Sounds like the coaching staff are planning for him to play a lot of footy this year. You often see kids eased in to it and given a year or more to build their tank and then get more fitness in the two's during the year but with the workload he is on it seems they are fast tracking him to be ready for round 1. He will be fine, he is a fairly decent size and didn't play the last bit of the season so he is starting behind the 8 ball so to speak

Ace was he injured in the last bit of the year or other issues?

Sounds like the coaching staff are planning for him to play a lot of footy this year. You often see kids eased in to it and given a year or more to build their tank and then get more fitness in the two's during the year but with the workload he is on it seems they are fast tracking him to be ready for round 1. He will be fine, he is a fairly decent size and didn't play the last bit of the season so he is starting behind the 8 ball so to speak

Slight groin injury but mostly fatigue.
Played a lot of footy during the year for West Adelaide, his school and the state carnival and combined with his schooling it just wore him down in the end and when he picked up a bit of a groin niggle he was put in cotton wool. At several points of the year he was playing 2-3 games a week which I know a lot of other kids do aswell but he also had a few growing pains as he grew quite a bit through the season
http://www.aflphotos.com.au/images/thumbs/450/2015/12/09/413332.jpg

Big is Beautiful.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/61241321.jpg

With all this talk of tank issue, he will soon be known as Jay Francis or Aaron Neagle.

Francis the Tank Engine???

Or do we just nick name him Thomas?

Francis the Tank Engine???

Or do we just nick name him Thomas?

As long as it’s not Paul Thomas.
According to the book Bright Futures in Practice: Physical Activity, published by Georgetown University, a temporary decline in coordination and balance may occur during puberty because of rapid growth. In many cases, this decline is not only demonstrated through sports performance, but also in regular physical activity. This experience can be frustrating for coaches, trainers, youth athletes, and parents, particularly if this decrease in athleticism is interpreted as a lack of skill or effort.

My cricket career is still waiting to recover from this “temporary” decline.

My cricket career is still waiting to recover from this “temporary” decline.

reaching a plateau isn’t a decline, sorry abers.

Played a lot of footy during the year for West Adelaide, his school and the state carnival and combined with his schooling it just wore him down in the end and when he picked up a bit of a groin niggle he was put in cotton wool. At several points of the year he was playing 2-3 games a week which I know a lot of other kids do aswell but he also had a few growing pains as he grew quite a bit through the season

Thanks. I take it he was one of the boys you most wanted and the best kid from sa.

Thanks. I take it he was one of the boys you most wanted and the best kid from sa.

He is arguably the best recruit from SA.

I’d just like to see the ball in his hands at training. He hasn’t been allowed to touch it.

He is arguably the best recruit from SA.

It was between he and mileara. The injury knock on burton is significant.

I’ve pleased with our choice. Mid year some were suggesting francis would go pick 1 or 2.