#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

I’ve been waiting a little longer than I’d hoped

4 Likes

Expectations have to be lowered.

We have to put Francis in the Tom Hawkins & Patrick McCartin section of developing football players.

It took T-Hawk a long long time to get up to required fitness levels, he was very very patchy early days and this was in a freak AFL team.

McCartin has another year on Francis and whilst dominating VFL still not able to have a major impact at AFL level.

Some key position players just aren’t going to be ready to get it done against the elite men that competing against until well into their 20’s.

Might take Francis until he is 23yrs old to be ready.

He is only 19!

And it’s not a work rate or dedication thing holding him back. He has that. Just needs years of building his tank/endurance capabilities.

6 Likes

he was 4 or 5 missed games away from taking home a B&F from centre half forward. Not great, sure, but he was more than handy, before he broke his hand.

1 Like

Any confirmation of him getting reported on the weekend?
Can’t find any official word anywhere.

What… Blitz not good enough for you???

Karmabomber suggested he had his number taken so yeah, pretty sure that constitutes a report.

yeah nah.

Just fkn put him into the ones and keep him there. Couldn’t give a stuff how little he does for the next year.

1 Like

Hasn’t earned it yet.

You would when we started losing every week because we were carrying a passenger who was rooted by quarter time.

Have a bit of patience, enjoy the glimpses, and reap the rewards when he is ready.

5 Likes

Or when he breaks down cause he’s cooked from chasing his opponent who runs off him at every opportunity. Let him build…

Did he miss draft combine/camp?

Can’t imagine he would have tested well which may have seen us take a different path.

That said Weidemann who was next selected kpp a big risk also given his injury history. Then was Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow.

He didn’t attend the combine due to a sore groin.

On exposed form, and presumed talent, you would take Francis (who was known to have not a big enough tank yet) over any of those guys.

1 Like

Well said speedy. When I chatted to Hird recently he actually said the same thing re Francis. Mentioned Jobe and other players of that type( powerful bulky frame). Takes time. He is 19.

6 Likes

Francis is a thoroughbred, if we continue to let him develop with donkeys he will become a donkey.
Just let the let kid play

I know the two are nothing alike physically but I reckon his situation is similar to that of Walla a couple of years back. All the skill in the world but limited tank.

2 Likes

The kid has got so much talent. He has shown a lot of glimpses already in the game he has played. Give him a game here or there for the rest of the season and then let him keep on developing his fitness and craft in the VFL

As much as i would love him to play every game for the rest of the season, his lack of fitness would cost us games.

If by the end of the season he has played 6 or 7 games in the 1’s i will be more than happy.

I have no doubt he is working on his deficiencies. Just a matter of being patient.

1 Like

Lel
You put him in seniors and he’ll get beaten like a donkey on Derby Day. You can have all the skill in the world but if can’t blow out a candle after half time you’re no use to anyone.

1 Like

I see him as the same category as Dangerfield.

Danger didn’t do a whole lot in his first 4 years but they pumped games into him based purely on his talent. He didn’t have the tank either, played predominately forward, and only moved full time midfield after his 4th season.

I’d like to see the same with Francis.

1 Like

This thread is like watching a tennis match.

8 Likes