#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

Yes it was s a different role but he’s played competitive roles well for us.

Conceding I may be biased but if we’re talking defenders, and we’re talking this year, he gets a game before Francis every time.

I forgot that Membrey is out. In that case, neither player is needed. Unless McCartin comes in.

I reckon your selling dea short HAP. He’s more than a handy player imo

4 Likes

I agree, but HAP is correct in that Dea is hopeless against guys bigger than him or who have a high level of endurance.

If Heartly’s corkie doesn’t come up we may have no choice but to play Francis. If we do play him then I think we need to have a tactic where whoever roams up field to blow him up gets picked up by say Kelly when they are on the move and Francis sucks back to an intercept role.

The good thing about Francis is that in the D50 his pace and power can allow him to ■■■■ down the small guys in a pinch. So as long as we don’t make him chase Riewoldt all day he could survive a game.

As what, though? He’s perfectly adequate as Gleeson’s understudy but I wouldn’t put him on a key position which is what people are suggesting here.

I reckon he’s done more than alright on guys bigger than him but I think he’s more suited to a half back role. I actually reckon he’s more valuable to the side than Gleeson but woosha can handle that.

2 Likes

He played on Sunday. Even if what you suggested is remotely possible, which it isn’t. There is no way he will be named in the team for Friday night.

Acres will come in for Membrey, Plays forward/Mid.

Longer and Newnes have injury concerns, Both in good form.

They have Hickey as back up. No worries in their ruck.

Gleeson’s best is way better than dea’s IMO, and we’re starting to see it a lot more often. I think those two have been pretty well managed this year: gave the younger guy first crack, brought in the understudy when he needed to go back and work on something, then back when he rectified whatever and found some confidence again.
End result, improved Gleeson, plus form.

1 Like

back on topic.

In the first quarter on sunday, awesome interceptions then just trying to force himself on the game too much with his kicking. maybe needs to play within himself more.

I’ve a feeling he’s lacking confidence as well. No concrete reason just that from experience some kids just take a long time to grow into their skin. I reckon he’s one.

He went for these kicks in his draft year. probably is a confidence thing, but he’s still going for them. maybe just go the slightly safer option to ensure he hits targets then move back to trying to break the game open with every kick.

With Hodge in the news this week it has really got me thinking. (especailly after there was an article about Hodgey been fat, unfit and lazy in his first couple of years, but also had a competitive streak like no other)

I was thinking who does that sound like. That sounds exactly like Franga.

I can actually see Francis playing very much a Hodge type role, can play anywhere on the ground, probably best suited to HB but wil lmost defintiely have some stints in the middle and up forward.

Here’s hoping he turns his fitness around like Hodge (who albeit, has never been the most athletic player)

4 Likes

Yes, I think Franga is almost trying too hard.
Attempting the spectacular with almost every play he’s involved in, and therefore a high failure rate, which in turn leads to him trying to atone with another speccie/ breaking three tackles / thread the eye of the needle kick.
Even the best players eventually realise that the spectacular only happens three or four times a game. The rest of the time it’s just good solid high percentage play, allowing their skills to set a platform for the stand out parts.
I’ve seen Frangas skills - not just marking and kicking, but also how good he is with his hands at ground level.

It can be hard for a frustrated kid to get perspective - hence I think why the the club is praising his ordinary efforts like making / halving every contest.
From little things.

1 Like

Wasn’t talking about the kicking particularly… more confidence in himself. Has massive expectations and been crucified with injury… is a big burden to carry.

No excuse for being unfit in an AFL environment. Get fit or get ■■■■■■!

Got anything interesting or more relevant to say about Francis?
Is fitter.
hence is playing back now.
Hence this discussion about him.

Biggest
Boi
Francis

2 Likes

Not far off a senior game - covered some decent ground today without looking too knackered…