#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

I struggle to think who we drop for Ambrose too.

It can’t be Hartley, Hartley is vital to take the big big boys.

Bags possibly, Gleeson maybe. Shift either Kelly or McGrath to a more permanent wing??

1 Like

This is my most preferable option. Colyer might be the man to get squeezed if his form doesn’t improve.

1 Like

To be honest I think it’s a week to week thing. I don’t think there’s a need to play all three some weeks ( eg this week or sides such as Carlton, Gold Coast, freo ) but then there’s a need against sides like Sydney, Adelaide etc

Yep, agree it will purely be a match up thing.

I don’t think so

I think we will be able to play Hartley, Hurley and Ambrose against any opposition.

Hartley to take either the key tall and/or the big big tall.
Ambrose to take the best tall or if Hartley has that player (say Hawkins) then Ambrose takes the next tall. Ambrose can play on anyone bar the small small forwards.
Hurley does what ever he does. He can play on anyone, and he will absolutely dominate even more so if has Ambrose taking the player he normally would.

2 Likes

Ok what about this week?

Cloke (assuming he comes in), Dickson, (assuming he comes in), Dale, Picken, Dahlhaus, Mclean

Given they are probably the best 2 sides in the competition, there is an argument to say you are better off maintaining the consistency of the back 6/7 regardless of match-ups so that they are best prepared when they come up against sides like Sydney and Adelaide.

I’d play all 3, or at least try it. It didn’t work at the start of the year because Hurley was in such poor form. That’s not an issue now.

If this was their lineup I would go.

Cloke - Hartley
Dickson - Ambrose
Dale - Hurley
Picken - Kelly
Dahlhaus - Bags
McLean - McGrath/McKenna

Obviously it never plays out that 100% of time matchups like this occur… .but i’d go with something like this.

Hurley is so good that forwards play on him.

2 Likes

Most of the time I agree with you and think we can play them all. I think this week would be difficult. Hurley has played on a few mediums this year, I think he can do more of that with Ambrose and Hartley taking the big guys.

Absolutely, agree.

I don’t think Ambrose will be in this week in any case.

FWIW Francis is as big as both Hurley and Ambrose as well… so would be in the same boat.

We have the deepest list of key backs/third tall backs in the league. Hurley, Hartley, Ambrose, Francis, Ridley, Brown.

and Hooker :grinning:

1 Like

Forward. :smiley:

Temporary forward :wink:

1 Like

If he was a midfielder I would be worried that he wasn’t progressing, but given that he’s a growing CHB/tall defender I think he’s tracking fine.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago I spoke to an ex Essendon recruiter who was there at the time of Aaron’s recruitment but has since moved to another club who is very, very worried that Francis will make it as an AFL footballer. Not to do with talent but more the mental and emotional side of things that need to be in order to form the right habits as a full time professional.

2 Likes

Don’t like to hear it, but thanks for the info.

cooked.

I think you mean won’t make it

Unless he KNOWS his mental state, it’s a guess from afar.

What I see is a measured, layer by layer approach to create a body and fitness level that will sustain 10+ years of elite level footy.

His body shape has changed considerably in 12 months, and will again.

2 Likes