#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

How does one go from bring a top 5 prospect for most of his draft year to now barely making an impact at vfl 2 years into the afl system?

Not tall or powerful enough for key forward/defence role and canā€™t run enough for 3rd tall / rebounding defenderā€¦at this stage

He was so big and powerful as a junior he rarely had to ā€˜workā€™. He just did as he wished.

Same with Jack Ziebel.

It could take another yet or two.
Does he have the Jobe desire to make it? We are about to find out.

2 Likes

Jobe would have been perfect to mentor him

Or dare I say itā€¦hirdy!

1 Like

He hasnā€™t shown an unwillingness to work hard (unless someone knows otherwise), itā€™s just going to take him a few years to get up to speed. Imagine Francis clunking marks down back and our first round draft pick from this year doing a McGrath/Parish. Future looks good, man.

1 Like

The huge gulf in standard between VFL and AFL is why i generally find it hard to get excited by VFL form. Oā€™Meara has hardly played in 4 years and he came back with 30 touches & 3 goals in <70% game time, and Parish dominated coming back from a calf injury. Laverde is too good for VFL but isnā€™t anywhere near it yet at AFL level, and even Stanton has had some monster games in the VFL this year yet his AFL days are clearly over. Thatā€™s why i have a hard time understanding those who get very excited over Francisā€™ AFL prospects based on the odd glimpse at VFL level.

1 Like

We should be putting him in the same category as McCartin, Weiderman, Scahche, McKay etc

It takes time for these boys to develop, but I love the club is pushing him and challenging him.

He will make his mark on the AFL next year, and easily romp in the rising star.

5 Likes

Lay off the young man

5 Likes

He is as frustrated as anyone if not more. He is happy at the club and looking forward to a injury free pre season. You will be unable to recognise him come round 1 next year

28 Likes

From what I have heard, he is desperate to reach his potential at this club.

Would take a bullet for the club this kid and will do everything he can this off-season to get where he needs to be.

12 Likes

For the club to make this public suggests they feel Francis isnā€™t working hard enough or he coulb be put up for trade.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting yaco. What exactky was made public ? Or have the journos just been reading blitz?

4 Likes

It was an article in a newspaper. One which was rather pointed. I forgot all news only comes from BB

I think this is the most pertinent observation in relation to Francis. So much can change ā€œovernightā€ after a few years of development. I remember during the rd3 Melbourne game last year (I think it was rd3) channel 7 ran a poll about which emerging KP forward would fans want on their team. It had five players. If I recall correctly the voters placed JD third behind Hogan and Moore. I wonder who theyā€™d have first now.

I still reflect on a passage of play on Anzac Day when Francis was 1 v 4 or 5 pies on the members wing. He made about 4 repeat efforts to break even in the moment. To me that said a lot about his desire. I also take heart from Aceman and BK above.

The kid.gave up his holidays last year and is apparently not going rest much this year either. Sounds to me like heā€™s going to emerge as a player soon enough.

6 Likes

Jonathon Patton has just started to play good consistent footballā€¦ Heā€™s 24.

Francis has literally turned 20, 9 days ago. Heā€™s gets another years grace but we start putting realistic pressure on the kid. Hopefully next year he can aim to play a dozen games.

11 Likes

Patton did 2 x ACLs. Irrelevant.

5 Likes

Heā€™ll be fine. I always said heā€™d take 2 years.

Heā€™ll come back next year fit as fark, and raring to go, and will blow us all away.

6 Likes

Seriously worried

Plays better as a backman.