#10 Nicholas (Nick) O'Brien

I thought he'd get another year. They obviously are concerned about his effectiveness on the spread and ball use, which isn't something that can be easily remedied. They must have their eye on a delisted free agent or two to make these many changes. Andrew Moore is another big bodied midfielder who could be picked up.
Yup.

Wonder if Woosh has his eye on anyone he’s had something to do with in the past - Eagle or Crow.

I liked what Matt Wright brought to the table a few years ago. On that form I would be interested. In the end I’m not sure they knew where he fitted at the Crows - a tagger or a small forward. Maybe Woosha knows.

At AFL level, he was a midfield tagger who switched forward at times. At SANFL level he was an inside midfielder.
Given we have Bird, I’d be surprised if we go for him.

NOB is stiff

NOB been given the BIRD

I don’t think you can really call him unlucky. I’d have given him a year but more so as “lucky” because we are cutting so many others and that he played OK at the right point in time to deserve another year to look at him (instead of taking a thousand picks).

Browne is a guy who would be more unlucky than NOB IMO, even if just on account of his injuries.

I thought he'd get another year. They obviously are concerned about his effectiveness on the spread and ball use, which isn't something that can be easily remedied. They must have their eye on a delisted free agent or two to make these many changes. Andrew Moore is another big bodied midfielder who could be picked up.
Yup.

Wonder if Woosh has his eye on anyone he’s had something to do with in the past - Eagle or Crow.

I liked what Matt Wright brought to the table a few years ago. On that form I would be interested. In the end I’m not sure they knew where he fitted at the Crows - a tagger or a small forward. Maybe Woosha knows.

Golby could be handy backup for Bags. I’d be surprised if Moore doesn’t get another gig.

I don't think you can really call him unlucky. I'd have given him a year but more so as "lucky" because we are cutting so many others and that he played OK at the right point in time to deserve another year to look at him (instead of taking a thousand picks).

Browne is a guy who would be more unlucky than NOB IMO, even if just on account of his injuries.

Of the 10? guys who were out of contract (all the guys who were cut + Pears, Demps & Stants), only 3 of them had more than a few good games this year, and only 3 were in the best side at the end of the year - NOB, Demps & Stants.

Form warranted keeping NOB & cutting Pears.

But they were probably #31 vs #32 on the list of 40-odd, it’s not a huge call.

Good decision

Shocking decision

He certainly had some limitations but to persevere with him this long and chop him after his biggest development year just seems really odd. Especially in the context of having ■■■■ all under 23 genuine inside mids and the amount of list changes.
I would agree with others we must have an inside mid delisted FA in our sights

Are you questioning J Wooshful’s judgment?

WELL, ARE YOU?

And Jake Roberts Tayte still lives…

Geez.

Perhaps a little stiff but let's be brutally honest, I doubt there'd be many clubs queuing up for his services.

I feel like this is a little bit of vindication for all those (such as myself) who have been calling for a much bigger cull for quite some time now. It’s just a shame it takes the club 4 years (and much more in Stein’s case) to actually assess the potential of a player and make a hard call. Had we made some of these decisions a little bit sooner, we might have been able to offer opportunities to other young players and already have put 1-2 years worth development into them. Now we have to go to the draft and start the process all over again. Better late than never I suppose.

Just a pity they’ve culled the vfl side pretty much, and somehow expect the afl side to improve beyond what they previously have (7th and 8th) by doing so.

Bit surprising as he clearly had his best year with us this year and looked like he might be able to play a bit, but really he is as slow as a wet week which is the last thing our midfield needs. I think for a long time our list management has been nowhere near ruthless enough so I don’t mind making a tough call on who is essentially a bit of a plodder. Of course having said all that, we have re-signed Pears so who knows what to think!?!

He might feel a bit stiff. Good luck to him

Ah well.

And Jake Roberts Tayte still lives...

Geez.

There is a hell of a lot in those 3cms in height difference

Last four VFL games were 36 or 37 disposals, around some ~25 average disposal AFL games.

Good thing Jobe Heath David Dyson etc never get injured.

If he gets picked up by another club, i think were gonna be saying “why did we get rid of him?”. he found so much ball and personally i thought he used it pretty well too. only 22, hes got plenty of time to make improvements.

If he gets picked up by another club, i think were gonna be saying "why did we get rid of him?". he found so much ball and personally i thought he used it pretty well too. only 22, hes got plenty of time to make improvements.

Maybe we had all these players up for trade and we didn’t get any offers. Given our list changes we would’ve taken 3rd and 4th rounders.

Good luck to Nick though. Thanks for trying your best at our club.

If he gets picked up by another club, i think were gonna be saying "why did we get rid of him?". he found so much ball and personally i thought he used it pretty well too. only 22, hes got plenty of time to make improvements.

Maybe we had all these players up for trade and we didn’t get any offers. Given our list changes we would’ve taken 3rd and 4th rounders.

Good luck to Nick though. Thanks for trying your best at our club.

yeah i would be surprised if they didnt table a few offers for these guys. i could see Stein and NOB easily getting to another club on the rookie list.

I’m disappointed by the news, I understand it but disappointed. Athletes first, footballers second. In my world there is always room for a few footballers on the list. Good luck Nick and I hope you get a run elsewhere in the AFL.