Ex-#10 Saint Francis, off to the Sydney Diocese

I’m still a long way from the bandwagon. When the rest of the side is smashing it is exactly when I’d expect him to turn up. He’s a backman - we need him to really stand up when things are going badly.

Today was a very good sign, and I’m certainly glad that last week’s vomit pile of a game didn’t seem to break him, but i won’t be convinced until I see him be the best player in a losing side.

6 Likes

2019 elimination final?

15 Likes

Helps when the mids pressure and he isn’t playing on the number 1 KPF. One fluff up early, but was solid as after and kicked with aplomb.

Will help his confidence.

2 Likes

like all of them it’s about the gap between his best and his worst.

One of his best games for the club without a doubt. Still plays a bit too far off his opponent for my liking. Think the saints first set shot was because he left king 25 meters on his own in the 50. Definitely a step in the right direction though.

1 Like

As I’ve said before, his talent is immense.

I haven’t known too many backmen who have use their hands as a weapon but I think his hands (handpassing I mean) coupled with his poise in traffic can be immense. You can see why he’s been touted as a potential mid from time to time

6 Likes

I think his attitude and personality are why the saga affected him so much as a player.

He looks dead inside, and has done for a long time.

3 Likes

All between the ears with Francis

confidence low jekkly, confidence up hyde

He goes for the ballsiest kicks, and he can pull them off, is also great reader of the ball in the air when he’s up and about

Needs to play chb like lucas did, attack the ball and just outmark your opponent regardless of your leg speed of lack of it

Also needs to be smarter, absolutely decimated mark of the millenium from Riddley, but damn it’s good to see 3 efc fists at the highest point for once, very different from Hurley / Hooker of last year…

We agree with you Zerk, we had no idea he could get that high either

I was there - Francis was trying to guard the corridor so Seb Ross wouldn’t have an easy shot on goal, after the Saints took the ball deep in our forward line. His positioning forced Ross to not risk the direct shot on goal and square the kick to King who pushed up the ground. Francis sped to King as soon as Ross kicked to him, ensuring King couldn’t just mark and play on. It forced King to kick the set shot and he missed it.

I thought it was a very good sign that Francis knew which part of the ground to defend to prevent an easy running goal.

16 Likes

You mean like the final in Perth where he was one of only 2 or 3 that could hold their head up high

6 Likes

Aceman watched his game today like a proud father.

5 Likes

Best game at AFL level IMO. Was immense!

the best game he’s played, surely

He actually has played a few great ones. Was in our bests multiple times in a row between the last few weeks of 2018 and very early 2019. It’s just it’s been a while now.

1 Like

What an odd bar to set.

1 Like

Hope this thread is a lot more positive than the last one. Good start so far!

Also, what a great game from Franga today. Thought he actually played pretty well in the second half last week, so it seems he brought that confidence and form into the Saints game. Great to see.

17 Likes

Blitz said this guy was rubbish and needed to be sent to the Gulag so i watched him closely and I reckon he goes alright.

In all seriousness though, all defenders need pressure up the ground, when the midfield is on top Frang Zerk etc can actually influence.

4 Likes

Best I’ve seen Francis play. Looked assured and made the right decisions. His development is very encouraging for the future. BZT needs to step up a bit so that he, Francis and Ridley will be our key backs for the next 5-7 years. What’s more, there’s Reid as the extra bonus!

2 Likes

That’s racist against redheads.