#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

5 Likes

“We need to bring in a key position player.”

Not Francis. He’s too small, doesn’t have the strength to match it with 190+.

“We need to drop Ben McNeice and bring in Francis”.

What!?! You want to bring in a slow, lumbering key position player for a small defender. Won’t somebody please think of the team balance!!!

The excuses are getting ridiculous.

1 Like

IMG_3998

7 Likes

13 Likes

Edit: Langford is the Brown one that is up and doesn’t want to get down, and the two small ones are Colyer and McNeice. Francis is the big guy on the left that isn’t getting up isn’t he?

2 Likes

Your posting form has been exceptional the past few weeks but unfortunately you’ll have to keep plugging away in the Blitz Magoo’s. We’d love to elevate you but if we did, we feel that there is a risk Blitz would become…dare I say it…unbalanced!

7 Likes

SEE! PLAY THE KIDS!

8 Likes

Quality thread title.

1 Like

Francis has become a defender largely because he felt more comfortable back there. I have no issues with that. Thing is, if he’d continued as a forward he’d have had a huge amount of opportunity this year in the exact role he’d been playing at vfl level.

4 Likes

and he would have sucked at it

1 Like

What I don’t like is this pigeon holing of “type”. Francis seems to be pigeon holed as an intercept free wheeling defender, and so he can only replace Hurley or Goddard.
There seems to be this idea of a perfect balance of how a defence must look eg one lock down big key position, one fast running rebounder, one intercept marker, one medium tall, another lockdown small.
Why? Each team should, and does, play to its own strengths and available personnel. There isn’t a perfect balance. When you want to run the ball out of defence, it doesn’t have to be McKenna or Saad, other players are allowed to run it out if the situation presents itself. Hurley and Goddard don’t have a licence to roam around picking off opposition kicks and not defending their immediate opponent. Sure, those things can be a particular strength of any player, but they all have similar responsibilities, albeit on opponents with different strengths.
Francis has to be a good defender, first and foremost, and then if he can zone off when the opportunity presents and take a mark, well that is fine, it is what he does well. Just because Hurley and Goddard are in the side, and also do that well, doesn’t mean Francis can’t play and do it. As long as they all fulfil their primary responsibility to defend.
People carry on as if there is a magic formula. IMO, keep a balance that is required to match up on the opposition, and beyond that, pick your best players. And they all have to play a role that is much wider than just their primary strength. It is why Goddard’s position, and for a time mid season, Hurley’s position, were being questioned. They were doing only what they are good at.

5 Likes

Oh how did I miss this?

Francis would do alright as “some boring bloke”. Selling candy and kicking banana goals from the pockets.

The next generation plus a retired club champion.

should go to another club and do really well, meanwhile we’ll give woosh another 10 years

what a ■■■■■■■ disgrace what worsfold has put this kid through

appaling

IMG_8385

3 Likes

He belongs in the Magoos.
At the end of the year he can go to the Cows.

Just flabbergasting. Gast flabbered.

2 Likes

Has your gob been smacked?

No but somebody tripped on my jaw

1 Like

Or your mullet stunned?

1 Like