#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

A number have improved. Saad, Stringer and Smith are all playing better than at their previous clubs. Ambrose, Langford, Parish, Redman, McKenna, Guelfi have improved. Some believe that Chook and Hurley are in All Aust form so they must be playing alright. Begley, Laverde and Clark are looking capable at the level.

• String better than his immediate previous dogs form obv not his All Aus form.
1 Like

Smith was AA squad last year, before injury wasnā€™t close to that performance, every player on the list who has been AA Heppell, Hurley, Hooker, Merrett, Stringer, Daniher all arenā€™t close to AA years, and Langford, Ridley, Parish, Clarke, Laverde, Begley, Guelfi and Redman are in and out like yoyoā€™s, none have cemented their spots yet.
Shiel was better at GWS also.

I agree with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

They pulled him out of the VFL last week, and I was so confident he would play in place of Stringer.

This farcking coach has his favourites and he played Brown instead.
Now in his 4th year Francis needs to develop in the seniors not the VFL.
Worsfold should have played Hooker in the fwd line and Francis in defence.

The longer it takes to sign/announce his contract concerns me, even though Iā€™ve heard and read how much he loves the players and the club. There is much more upside to playing Francis than Brown and I just donā€™t get it.

1 Like

On itā€™s own, itā€™s a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

But.

Take Hooker out of the backline Thursday night and it wouldnā€™t be inconceivable that we lose by another 30 points. And then guess what? Itā€™s sack the coach again for making another deplorable decision.

2 Likes

Excellent. We got there in the end!

1 Like

Have to disagree here, he doesnā€™t pick a side due to heā€™s favourites thatā€™s just rubbish talk, Francis hasnā€™t performed the role heā€™s been asked to play this year itā€™s that simple, and heā€™s not good enough (at this stage)to replace any of our back 6. To suggest he play on a darling or Kennedy Thursday night instead of hooker is way off the mark. Imagine heā€™s confidence after having 6-10 goals kicked on him?? Thatā€™s exactly what would have happened. If he wants to leave instead of fighting for heā€™s defensive spot well good riddance, still not confident at all heā€™s up to it anyways

2 Likes

Who are we kidding very few Essendon players are ready when the going gets tough.

1 Like

Great post, agree with all of it.

1 Like

Francis has clearly shown that he has more talent than anyone in the current backline.
We need to embrace and fully commit to elitism as the only way to win our next flag.
We need to be courageous and show faith in his undoubted talent.
You need to take risks if you are interested in glory and fame.

The Francis love in Blitz is widespread but this is next level.

4 Likes

Impressive considering thereā€™s 2 all Australians down back

2 Likes

Agree. That was also the era in which a player could carve out a good career bludging a kick behind the play without an opponent - Paul Roos was the prototype, plenty of others followed through the 1990s-2000s. Significantly harder to do in todayā€™s game.

Until such time as Francis shows heā€™s capable of doing something more than taking a few nice grabs as an unmarked man in defence, heā€™s going precisely nowhere. Very limited players like Jason Cloke, David Teague, and Liam Jones have all looked like world-beaters in this role at one point in time or another - tells you something.

5 Likes

Spot on

find it hard how you want to embrace and fully commit to elitism as the way to the flag, and then go on to support Francis.
Iā€™m all for playing him cos I do believe he has a higher ceiling than most, but the drive to ā€œelitismā€ actually prescribes achieving peak fitness, rewarding hard work etc rather than backing prodigiesā€¦ redman and brown (for example) both must came from further back but continue to work hard on field and surely off it why they deserve to be pickedā€¦

1 Like

So much this. We are doing exactly what we did with Hurley. A natural defender and we are putting him up forward. Just let him develop in his best position in the backline. If that means he doesnā€™t get in the team becuase the incumbents are playing well, then so be it

2 Likes

Still manages to snag 4 today in what still looks like at times heā€™s going through the motions and a position he doesnā€™t know how to play, massive positive . To be honest so many nearly marks here and their to where he usually clunks them couldā€™ve been a day out. As I said earlier the most pleasing aspect of today is the bit of carnt he showed, like seeing that passion from him

1 Like

Was good today.
However, he got his hands to so many marking situations today and mostly dropped them. These were marks he was taking late last year in the seniors.
I think things will eventually line up for him and heā€™ll be a star. Not sure of this though. If so I hope itā€™s with us.

3 Likes

Super confidence player. Something that did stand out is heā€™s elite vision. Not many on our list wouldā€™ve or couldā€™ve squared that one up in the square that last qtr

1 Like

I think you mean end of the second quarter for the square up?

Francis had a very selfless game today; he made a lot of people on the outside or running through look good.

If heā€™d converted a few 50/50 chances heā€™d have kicked at least 6 goals, not just 4.

7 Likes