#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Yay, I’m not old.

Though once I looked up “mangle”, I realised Nanna from Dubbo had one when I was a kid (no longer used even at that point). Took me a while to work out what the hell it was.

(Though I played plent of Atari at other people’s places, and I reckon we already had a computer at home by 1982 when the Commodore 64 came out.)

1 Like

It was Dukes of Hazzard but with a truck instead of a car, and instead of Daisy Duke?
A chimpanzee.
So, the Dukes of Hazzard was an improvement.

1 Like

You’re old if you had a crush on Servalan. Or know who Servalan is.

If you had a Vic20 and used it, badly, for your tax returns you’re a boomer. Otherwise that list works for GenX pretty well. Apart from the last bit which explains where mum and dad went every Thursday. Relieved to know it wasn’t a key party actually.

4 Likes

Blakes 7 was good for about the first episode and a half. Not that I watched it at that time, I was only introduced to her as Chessene some years later.

1 Like

Ah. Mrs Wim was a Blake’s 7 fan.
She bought the entire series on DVD and we made it about half way through series one.

Apparently once they were filming in that quarry, ran around a corner and crashed into the cast of Dr Who.
And also apparently not one person there thought, ‘crossover.’
Idiots.

Weren’t you ranting some time ago that we shouldn’t try guys in new possies… ever??

Blakes 7 is perhaps the most uneven show in history. If you summarise the arc of the four seasons, compare it to what other sci-fi shows were doing at the time and then subsequent to it, and then use some well chosen examples of the dialogue (between Blake and Avon particularly) then it comes across as amazing. But for every 30 seconds of gold you have to wade through 30 minutes of dross. At least 30 minutes. Whole episodes can be ignored. Sometimes almost a whole season bar the finale (Season 4).

1 Like

Welcome to the offseason, where a bloke can play an amazing game and posters choose instead to talk about a television show from their past.

7 Likes

But your future.

1 Like

Eh.
It was more surprising to some than others.

Both the game and the thread derailment, actually.

To bring it back on topic. Which Blakes 7 character did Aaron Francis remind you of? My choice is Orac. The omnipotent computer with outrageous untapped potential.

Bugger that ! He reminds me of Drago , only tougher.

1 Like

My first console was a nintendo entertainment system…so i guess im not old yet…but did play with a mates Atari, and had a friend who had a commodore 64. Our first computer was a Apple Macintosh. Needed to insert a floppy disk to do something.

1 Like

I know there’s a very old Apple gathering dust in Horsham.
We had another computer that wasn’t a Com64 too. I want to say Amstrad, but I don’t think that’s right.

You touch on one of my favorite tropes here.

All American Sci-Fi shows have the crew landing in a simulacrum of the Arizona desert. All British Sci-Fi has the crew touching down in a quarry. Even the movie version of Hitchhikers Guide did this. I’m pretty sure it’s so they can blow ■■■■ up safely.

2 Likes

He’s super exciting. The whole year ends with a smile thanks to young players like him. Couldn’t stop grinning after Laverde’s 3 first quarter goals, then Francis’ continuing hulk up, then That mark. Fantastic.

We had a Commodore 128. Soooo fancy.

3 Likes

Imagine if we’d traded this bloke for a pick in the teens last year… and even worse, had it been the crows and he’d have been part of that stupid camp given what we now know about this kid? So incredibly proud of our club and this guy for the support and resilience shown by both sides. He will repay the faith in spades, has future star written all over him. Can’t wait to see him in the VFL finals and then hit pre season at full steam. Very exciting future ahead.

11 Likes

It’s nothing short of remarkable the turnaround in Francis. Anyone who said at the start of the season that we’d be seeing him finishing the year in the AFL team of the week and vying for MOTY would’ve been whistling Dixie. But the club supported him and his determination came to the fore.

5 Likes