#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Fxd

1 Like

If this kid has a full season, hes going to be everyones favorite player for a decade. hes readyā€¦

2 Likes

https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/aaron-francis-hires-personal-trainer-to-be-ready-for-first-full-preseason-reward-bombers-faith/news-story/9802c546570f26f2d6ed771161babeed?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone keen to post the full article?

Aaron Francis hires personal trainer to be ready for first full pre-season, reward Bombersā€™ faith

JON RALPHHERALD SUN DECEMBER 04, 2018

ESSENDONā€™S emerging star Aaron Francis is on track for the first full pre-season of his career after hiring a personal trainer over the off-season to keep in shape.

The Rising Star nominee will enter next season as one of the Bombersā€™ most hyped players after a brilliant late-season surge.

The 21-year-old took 10 contested marks in the final fortnight of the season, including a Round 23 contest with six contested marks and a Mark of the Year candidate over Adam Saad and Paddy Ryder.

HOW GOOD?: SHEEDYā€™S HIGH PRAISE FOR FRANCIS

SUPERCOACH: NO GO FOR MIDFIELDER YEO?

Aaron Francis soars for his Mark of the Year candidate over Adam Saad and Paddy Ryder in Round 23. Picture: AFL Media

Francis brings down the mark, one of six contested against the Power. Picture: AFL Media

Francis, who had battled depression earlier in the year and taken time away from the club, is yet to complete a full pre-season after a series of injuries and soft-tissue niggles.

It meant the clubā€™s fitness staff were often playing catch-up with him over summer just to get him into shape.

But with his raw power and superb marking skills the sky is the limit if he can elevate his fitness to elite standards.

His manager Michael Doughty told the Herald Sun he had returned to Essendon in excellent shape after taking his preparation into his own hands.

ā€œHe has been really focused over the off-season. He engaged a personal trainer back home in Adelaide and heā€™s really hoping to get a full pre-season under his belt. He really wants to show what he can do.ā€

Francis has hired a personal trainer to get him in tip top shape for the Bombersā€™ pre-season. Picture: Getty Images

Francis is out of contract at the end of 2019 but after only five games last year and 10 in total will likely wait until mid-year before signing on again.

Despite an aborted trade in 2017 there is no indication he wants to return home to Adelaide.

But with his upside enormous and the intercepting half back yet to prove he can string together a full season of games, both parties will have a bigger sample size by mid-year.

In an ideal world the Bombers would sign him up over the summer to secure him long-term but if he continues his form early in the year he could be in for a massive payday on an extended deal.

He made clear late in the season he saw his future at Essendon, saying his request for a trade to Adelaide was the wrong decision.

Francis is expected to be a key man in the Bombersā€™ rise. Picture: Michael Klein

ā€œI do want to be at Essendon in the future,ā€ he told the Herald Sun.

ā€œI made a decision at the end of last year I wanted to leave, but that decision was made when I was going through a pretty rough time in my life. It was definitely the wrong decision. Essendon is where I want to be.ā€

Essendon coach John Worsfold is hoping for better luck with injuries over the summer after entering 2018 with many of his stars having experienced hampered pre-seasons.

But Joe Daniher is only likely to ramp up his pre-season post-Christmas after groin issues and Mason Redman, slated to take Brendon Goddardā€™s spot in the side, last week broke his ankle.

Orazio Fantasia also suffered a finger injury last week but should be fine to resume full training in coming weeks.

19 Likes

Fark! Thatā€™s the first Iā€™d read on diagnosis.

I certainly had him as taking that spot also. Not now.

Leigh Matthews got a bronze statue for this sort of thing.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a nondisplaced fracture - club havenā€™t updated prognosis

Well I guess that is slightly lesser. Either way canā€™t see him being back in much earlier than 4mths assuming healing time and then getting fitness up to scratch

Well done to him to take on a trainer and take that extra responsibility for his football career.

A fit and firing and motivated Francis for round 1 is an exciting prospect.

3 Likes

He got the action
He got the motion
Oh yeah, the boy can play
Dedication, devotionā€¦

5 Likes

Canā€™t go wrong with a bit of Dire Straits

5 Likes

As long as its not his arch nemesis Dire Rhoea.

1 Like

I think Aaronā€™s story so far is one of the best weā€™ve seen in the AFL for a long time.

The boy has gone through some pretty traumatic experiences, The loss of his brother/Best mate then moving interstate shortly after when being close to family feels more important than ever, Being put in the spotlight as a top draft pick when youā€™re naturally a shy person.

And then to have the courage to say that he needed help at the start of last season to go away and find his true values and what he needs for stability, He comes back realizing he wants to be the footballer his brother family and himself knows he can be.

The proverbial train has left the station for Aaron and it doesnā€™t seem to be slowing down, Weā€™re all taking a seat on what will be a glorious ride that is his career in the red and black.

14 Likes

Donā€™t think itā€™s a stretch to say the lure of home is strong for Aaron? The go home factor is pronounced throughout the industry too, making it easy for players to walk even in contract! Going to be a watch this space scenario / potential media circus the longer Aaron delays signing a new contract, especially if he lights up the comp and still hasnā€™t signed by August?! I know Aaron pledged his allegiance but things can change. Itā€™s a small sample size but the kid looks to be a massive talent. Losing him could be bigger than any player leaving the club in the last 20 years. Hereā€™s hoping he signs a 3-5 year extension.

1 Like

Iā€™d say he is the most important signing for us to seek in 2019, closely followed by Draper and then Parish, Walla and maybe Redman and the Berzerker.

Walla is at the top of that list for me. Francis a close second.

Itā€™s not like his family lives in Adelaide or even nearby. They are a long way out of the city. Iā€™m pretty sure one of his brothers has moved to Melb also now and living together.

And he was a fanatical EFC fan growing up also

I doubt he is going anywhere anytime soon & he has said as much.

11 Likes

Just like Beams

edit***
I donā€™t actually think heā€™s going anywhere. Just pointing out that nothing is certain. Regardless of what people say.

Queue firing squadā€¦

Nothing is certain. Therefore expect the worst.

Life turns out really great for people who adopt this view.

5 Likes

Yeah i wouldnt be comparing Franga to a lying, backstabbing turncoat any time soon.

1 Like