#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Darren Bewick kicked at least one goal in all of his first ten games.

He then failed to goal in his eleventh.

True story.

1 Like

John Coleman kicked 12 on debut and was held goalless only once in his career.

True story

6 Likes

Pfft.

And he will be crossing the border again shortly on his way home for Christmas. What is the point of this all too obvious ā– ā– ā– ā–  take?

1 Like

Julian Kirzner kicked a goal in his first ever game and was never held goalless at Essendon.

True Story

3 Likes

Only issue is Kirzner wore number 40 and not 10 like Coleman.

1 Like

Evrrything in context CJ.
Weā€™re talking about spending panic dollars based on wild rumours and unsubstantiated crap dressed up as factā€¦ hmm, a bit like MSM journos.

Going across the border again you say.
All in. All in.

1 Like

I heard that were third in line for Dylan Shiel now

1 Like

Be sure to follow Karma Bomber on his Instas page.

15 Likes

Heā€™s a classic example that you need to pick kids with natural football talents, if they have the elite capabilities.

Then be patient and give them the time to build endurance.

Francis, Tippa, Stringerā€¦ 3 players with elite football abilities but have had to work harder than others to get that endurance up. Patience is the key.

12 Likes

So annoying when you hear ā€œelite athlete who just has to work on foot skillsā€ā€¦

I remember one preseason Justin Crow was talking about how Jobe Watson works harder than anyone else on his fitness, but because of his lack of natural athleticisimā€¦ he generally ends time trials at just ā€˜above averageā€™ level.

While some players can have a few weeks off from any physical activity, yet still be in very good physical condition.

IMO is much easier to get a playerā€™s fitness and endurance levels up, as it is much easier to coach and measure. Motivation and injury is generally the only barriers.

Especially compared to kicking (for example),
Which is about technique and repetition.
Barriers are having the right coach, having the resources and time for the coach to supervise (1 of 45 odd players) And communicate the issue with the kicking action.

Then trying to replicate match simulation where the player will be under pressure while trying to kick the ball. The player learning to kick 35-55 metersā€¦ the player learning to kick 20-35 meters. The player learning to kick for goal from the set shot. The player learning to kick goals on the run. The player learning to kick off both feetā€¦etc. etc.

Just pick natural footballers with elite talent, and give them the time to develop a tank ffs. TBH we have gotten much better as a club at this.

3 Likes

The best thing about Aaronā€™s transformation is that it indicates that his off-field life is in a much better place than it previously was, everything else is just a bonus imo

19 Likes

Agree. Delist Draper, Dea, McKenna and Jok now.

2 Likes

With as much respect as I can give this post, it doesnā€™t stand up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny.
Unless that is you genuinely believe Conor McKenna canā€™t kick, or canā€™t play. (Or was secretly playing footy in county Tyrone)

1 Like

I think you misunderstand the point. I didnā€™t say donā€™t pick players that need to work on technical aspects of their game.
In fact all those players you pointed out, were all low risk picks.

Iā€™m making a point that if a player who has elite attributes for understanding the game and skills, you shouldnt overlook them because of issues with endurance. As itā€™s easier to build endurance than learn technical aspects of the game.

Iā€™ve never waivered on my belief that Francis will anything but a gun.

2 Likes

Ignore either at your peril.

Weā€™ve had good footballers who couldnā€™t get fit enough.

And weā€™ve had good athletes spud it up.

You need to weigh up all attributes.

3 Likes

this whole conor is an elite athelete ā– ā– ā– ā–  is ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  bullshit and a weak argument and i kinda expect better from you hap.

he was an elite gaelic footballer. those dudes have skills. hes no patrick ambrose.

7 Likes

Exactly.
Thereā€™s been literally dozens of guys now who havenā€™t played any footy prior to age 16 whoā€™ve had damned good AFL careers. Itā€™s so, so, so dumb to just draw a big fat line.