#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Not sure if posted previously but I just stumbled across this. Enjoy!

13 Likes

His marking is immense!

I canā€™t work out though whether his kicking is an asset or a liability right now :thinking:

He does love that around the corner style kick.

Only a liability until the rest of his teammates realise what the hell heā€™s doing and how far ahead of the game the thinking is behind it.

1 Like

He looks to bring the ball back in through the corridor (could have been BJā€™s influence there). Risky, but when executed properly, it really opens the game up & allows us to exploit other teams with our pace.

Over the years in the VFL, he continually practiced audacious kicks out of defence, and a number were butchered badly. But in the AFL games at the end of last year, those kicks only missed the mark once or twice, with no serious consequences. Now that he will be picked in the best 22 every week in 2019, be prepared for some of these kicks to go astray, and maybe lead to a number of turnovers that lead to goals. He is not Robinson Crusoe in that regard. But hopefully he doesnā€™t lose confidence because of it. Those kicks are a weapon and few players ever try them, maybe because the risk is too high for most players.

4 Likes

The test for Francis is that sides will put time into him now. Theyā€™ll try and run him up the field, theyā€™ll try to find mismatches for him, theyā€™ll sweat his kicks into the corridor, theyā€™ll try and run him around, theyā€™ll let try and block him off the contest. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how he handles it.

1 Like

Really really difficult to stop someone like Francis, in my opinion. Who to sacrifice? Do you change up your flow and plan for a rebounding defender? A tall, powerful, fast, marking, dangerous kick defender is a nightmare for opposition.

3 Likes

Francis marks best with a bit of a run at the ball. He prefers to start a bit behind the ball drop ( which he judges very very well) and has an elite vertical leap. But we have seen him dealt with in 2 ways. Blocking and playing behind him and pushing him under the ball.
The pushing in the back rule is being relaxed this year, and it will be possible to push players out of marking contests. It remains to be seen how this will be adjudicated and whether that will help him, but blocking is probably the main weapon which will be used against him this season.

1 Like

Which is really something that only a big opposition fwd is going to do. Which means that Francis would be controlling where the forward is. So they would be looking to ā€˜defendā€™ Francis, instead of leading into spaces. Itā€™s a nightmare, I tell ya!

1 Like

It will need our players up the ground to put good defensive pressure on the opposition to ensure their kicks into the forward 50 is under pressure. Thatā€™ll make Francisā€™ job a lot easier.

Itā€™ll also need out defenders to work well to ensure the opposition second and third forward options are not loose and provide easy un-manned marking targets.

How many PBā€™s he got this pre-season?

id say all of them lol

1 Like

Does this mean anything or is it like a Gold Logie?

3 Likes

Well, I donā€™t see Cripps in thereā€¦

12 Likes

Itā€™s a peculiar list because they have Francis down as a key defender which I think we all know heā€™s probably not.

For comparison Brisbaneā€™s highest relative rating is Harris Andrew at plus 73 and I would consider him to be more of a traditional defender.

I think most would have Andrews clearly in front at the moment but I am still of the opinion that Francis can be just as good but in a different role.

Thatā€™s because heā€™s slow on his feet. But heā€™s on his way.

3 Likes

Andrews might be in front but thatā€™s not what this list is about. Itā€™s about their relatives. I think Cripps is Frangā€™s cousin. Thatā€™s why heā€™s at the top.

4 Likes

Whats this list about?

This to me just sounds like massaging ill defined bullshit stats into ill defined bullshit categories and coming up with ill defined bullshit relative comparison measures to create a very quantifiable and commodifiable amount of clicks.

That said, Francis has arrived and he, together with his two nimble lieutenants Saad and McKenna, is going to transform our defence into an offensive monster . The league isnā€™t going to know what had his it.

7 Likes