#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

I think it’s laughable to suggest any clubs will be offering Lever money. Isn’t he on about $800k?

4 Likes

Well, there’s also the angle that in a year or so he’d be getting Hooker’s paycheck, and Zerk getting Hurley’s a year or two after that.

Can’t he wait for that?

Well, that’s what I was suggesting.

In a year or so.
In a year or so people might be saying that ZT is a far better replacement for Hooker.

Look, maybe I’m wrong.
I was once before, I think.
But I’d be very surprised if clubs aren’t making promises to him for next year.

About.
Call it $700k then.
Or call it $800k.

Richmond, Carlton, Port, Sydney off the top of my head.
Hmmmm. Maybe not Sydney. Aliir and Rampe seem to go alright.
North.
MacMillan, Tarrant And Thompson.
St Kilda could certainly use him, lol, although you could see why they might be gun shy.

Oh yeah - I meant paycheck, not ‘position’. We’re kinda full right now, but as the cards fall over, a year goes by, Francis becomes the gun we know he can be, he gets paid appropriately, etc…

Well, yes.
That’s why I was describing Saucy’s scenario at the end of the year.

I see Francis coming into the side this year, becoming an absolute lock, winning (at least) a final, and telling all-comers to get stuffed.

If he plays three games for the year though, then it’s naive to think he won’t look for more opportunity and I don’t doubt it would come knocking very loudly.

1 Like

If another club wants to pay him Lever money then they’ll be willing to put a very good pick on the table for trade. But neither of those things will happen. He’s only played 13 games.

1 Like

Yeah, fair enough. Well id play francis ahead pf ridley anyway down back. Ridley is good, dont get me wrong. I just think franga is better

1 Like

Either way, i dont see us holding onto all of franga, redman, ridley and gleeson. Someone will get sick of not playing because you cant play em all. All of them are best 22 players, especially at clubs lacking that kind of player

2 Likes

Well then I’ll stand corrected.
They’re similar ages and Lever had similar stats but did Not have Francis’s showreel.

The club have managed\handled Francis during his time so far absolutely magnificently. He may not even have been playing at all - but for the fact that his pretty serious personal issues\health were handled supremely by certain key people inside the club.

I know the cliff-jumper brigade in here are keen to focus their anxieties in the absence of losing football games - but FFS, he has been out of the side for a couple of weeks - it’s ok, he’ll get back in, he’ll likely perform well and perhaps will return an improved player. If anything, the fact that such a talent isn’t getting a game right now is farking wonderful news for the club.

5 Likes

Where’s all the crap coming about him leaving?

Rightyo then carry on chaps, but what’s changed since August FFS. .

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/aaron-francis-reveals-essendon-is-where-he-wants-to-be/news-story/640a8e0ab988729d9a01bdcf5f431419

I read somewhere that Francis spent a fair bit of time on Saturday getting massages on his legs. Fair chance he’s being managed rather than dropped outright.

2 Likes

Perhaps.
Perhaps I’ve been on Blitz too long (no need to answer!), but if I had a dollar for every “guy from interstate will request a trade to club in that state for no discernible reason” theory, I’d be a hundredaire. There’s certainly no “surely”, here.

I actually think giving Gleek a little nudge might allow us to retain Francis, Redman & Ridley.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right. Of those 4 players, Gleek is the one i’d Most prefer to lose

3 Likes

Again, to be clear to people who might want me to be saying things that I’m not saying, I don’t expect Francis to leave.

And nor am I criticising selection in his case.

Carlton should be after Gleeson to replace Simpson’s experience down back, if/when he pulls the pin. Docherty and Gleeson would give them a couple handy intercepting HBFs

1 Like

In not sure Francis would be willing to play ten games a year waiting for Hooker to retire.