#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

This is very unusual for Francis, by the way.

Thatā€™s a fair assessment. His lack of follow up work and urgency was frustrating. Itā€™s either fitness or attitude. He was pretty average in a couple of games last year until something clicked though. Itā€™s hard to justify giving him games when other players are putting in way more effort.

1 Like

I agree completely which is what led me to question his dedication to reaching his true potential in part
Obv i have no knowledge of his status re niggles or mental state so i guess those are possible contributing factors

Agree. At the end of last season he was great at every contest regardless of whether it would pay off or not.

Serious question. Who does he replace?

Our backline has been the best thing so far this year. Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose, Ridley and Redman donā€™t deserve to be dropped. Not to mention, he isnā€™t playing well enough in the reserves to replace any of them.

He doesnā€™t replace Daniher or Stringer, and when Brown returns, he will go back to the VFL. He needs to start playing better in the reserves and wait for a spot to open up.

He hasnā€™t done enough to deserve special treatment.

1 Like

I think it may be more likely he has ups and downs and the aim is to even it all up.
And not much to do with desire or effort or really wanting to reach his potential. Things can sometime be a lot more complex then first appear.

Mental health issue also play a part.

Yep agreed, Iā€™m not trying to be overly negative on him but more to question whats happening atm that seems to have changed his attitude or ability to impact like he has in the past

Well thatā€™s good know. Was it more so him wanting to be closer to home and us helping him out?

The published version is that he asked for a trade, the club couldnā€™t get an acceptable offer so he stayed on.

Those two things arenā€™t separate; theyā€™re very closely related. If he got himself as fit as pretty much all of the other players in our senior team, I would be prepared to bet large amounts of money that his attitude, competitiveness, second efforts and general aggression at the ball would be just fine, and that heā€™d gain a permanent spot in the senior team and start to have the sort of impact on games that heā€™s shown tantalising glimpses of. And that most of his psychological problems of whatever nature would disappear as well.

You can argue of course that itā€™s his psychological problems that prevent him from getting himself properly fit; but in the end it doesnā€™t really matter whether the egg comes first or the chicken. Fix one and the other will be fixed as well.

I speak from a position of total ignorance of psychology. But I bet Iā€™m right.

You bet youā€™re right, yet claim total ignorance?
A little odd, that bet!

Definitely something amiss. Always been a great kick but isnā€™t even striking the ball well.

Plenty of people bet without an appreciation of the odds

So far some have come up with various excuses for the Lad. Mental Issues (and Iā€™m not dismissing this issue as not serious), his injuries and now his lack of preparation to play as a forward.

So whats the excuse for the 2 laconic attempts at goal on sunday. ā– ā– ā– ā–  looked like he was having a kick in the park

How long do we have to wait for a pick 5 or whatever he was to actually show us that he has the aptitude to be successful at this level? Its not about skill. Its about want

I hope Iā€™m wrong but he looks like a gigantic fail to me. Fark if Baguley had half his build and skill set

1 Like

Heā€™s ahead of Ambrose and Ridley in my opinion. Last years performance clearly showed that. Why he was dropped after the GWS game makes no sense. He was singled out, but thereā€™s no way any sane decision supports keeping either of Ambrose or Ridley ahead of Francis, - if it actually came to that.

Right now they have his spot and he needs to get it back. But I donā€™t trust the coaching panel will have any sense, or knowledge in letting that happen.

Youā€™re right about him needing to earn his spot back. But it shouldnā€™t be gifted to him. And i trust the coaches do actually know whatā€™s going on and will decide accordingly.

There is no way in the world heā€™s ahead of Ambrose or Ridley at the moment. I have no idea what games youā€™ve been watching.
Clearly not the St Kilda or Melbourne games, seeing as you think he was dropped after the GWS game

3 Likes

Francis struggled to fulfill his role in the team - He has another two or three weeks to see if he can improve in this role.

Errā€¦ isnā€™t that what I said?