#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

What a frustrating performance. For every good piece of play he was involved in, and he did lead hard at the ball and take it cleanly a number of times, he’d make a bone headed error or put in a poor effort the next moment.

5 Likes

Plays every game for the rest of the year to drive up currency (hopefully) and trade home.

Looks like a player who has played less than 20 games. We over egged the omelette, and now we’re disappointed he hasn’t yet reached the level of our hype. We are the monsters here. If he plays 10 games forward, improves his fitness, confidence and consistency at the contest, then he’ll be a good tall forward.
Unless there’s an injury down back, that is his pathway into this team.

1 Like

It’s not our hype. He was a pick 5!
Disappointment comes from ‘losing’ on the Laverde, Langford, McGrath (give me Tarranto or McCluggage), Parish and Francis picks.
We are not commenting on his character (he seems a nice young guy) but his football ability something he is getting paid for.

2 Likes

Looked good, particularly early hitting up at the footy. Persevere with him.

3 Likes

I thought he was a lot better, but I still don’t think he’s ever going to be a forward.

3 Likes

Were you at the game?
I was and behind the goals at Essendon’s end in the first quarter. So very close to Francis.
He was pathetic and that’s being kind.
Pity he couldn’t be subbed out after 20 minutes. Soft as melted butter and appeared totally bored and disinterested.

Calm down, he’s only played 9 games of AFL football.

2 Likes

He is not a forward and never will be. The only time he has looked good is in the backline

1 Like

I don’t think he’s ever going to be a forward except as an occasional pinch-hitter. Much better as a defender reading the play. He’s worth an occasional run in the centre bounce too, a la Stringer, but we haven’t seen that at senior level yet.

My concern is that he may have had some of his spontaneity trained out of him. He’s such a natural footballer that plays by instinct, as we saw in the last part of last season. I’m concerned he’s been drilled to become a more conventional player judging by his performances this year so far.

1 Like

His efforts are abysmal

He really, really looks like he can be bothered

2 Likes

It’s crazy. I’d be surprised if he plays again any time soon. Wasted talent.

1 Like

At half time he was second for us at distance covered.

I think he just run himself into the ground trying to help the team.

3 Likes

He may have run a bit but when you compare his effort to somebody like Redman they’re not even in the same ballpark. It’s disappointing.

1 Like

I’m not giving him an out or anything but he has been selected by the coach and I can’t fault his passion.

For mine players like Francis, Langford and even McKernan get treated differently to others and don’t play like they belong at this level as a result.

Club talks Francis and Langford up in particular and then mismanage them. Got no issue with dropping players but I do have an issue with the club constantly using them as scapegoats for poor team performances.

2 Likes

Bit hard to be hard on Francis when his team mates consistently kicked it to his opponents advantage

i’d get disinterested to

1 Like

It’s pretty simple for me. Players like Langford and Francis need to perform better than the people they’re competing with for spots and they haven’t been. Although i’d be happy for Langers to come in for Myers this week. But ■■■■ he’s been ordinary when given chances this year.

2 Likes

I blame Langers development. He looks to have no confidence what so ever.

Last year he was a very attacking player and looked to kick the ball at every opportunity and in particular very adventurous kicks.

This year he is a sideways handball player and that has even been at VFL level.

He’s either very dumb and continually makes the same mistakes or he has been asked to change his role.

I don’t think our club fully understands how to identify a players strengths and then develop a role that suits them. Langers is not a bull and never will be.

He was great last year. It’s baffling. Whether his development is the problem or not he needs to get it together quickly.

I think the club understands what players best positions are. I just think we have areas of the ground with too much depth and then thin areas that they plug with random players. Maybe bad recruiting. Think it’s time to seriously consider trading out a few guys and either trading talent in or hitting the earlier part of the draft for specific needs.

The club has a history of blokes who didn’t dominate until well into their careers. Jobe, Winderlich, Wellman… they were all absolute whipping boys in their first few years at the club… they turned out alright.

Even Lucas was a little unco early on.

Lang strikes me as one that we need to persist with… he has the skills.

1 Like