#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Is it actually a major gap? Or a desperate need? We have been winning or breaking even in clearances

So the criticism is he is not fit and lacks intensity, so the solution becomes throw him in the middle? He needs to be more fit and more intense to play that role than he does to play forward or back.

I mean it’s an option, but yeah.

1 Like

We don’t have much in the way of bulk or height through the middle. We get out bodied and out marked very often.

Francis has been used at center clearances at VFL level to great success. He hasn’t been thrown in there at AFL level, because he hasn’t had enough experience there. I’m thinking a Stringer type clearance player who can provide marking options through the middle and float forward or back as needed.

Edit - not saying he has the fitness to do this currently. Wait 2 years when Stringer and Francis have built up a serious tank. Weapon.

2 Likes

Im not sure. Stringer and franga arnt true talls. Both athletic, i was real encouraged with franga moving last night. Joe and mckernan are very agile. Why cant it work? Stringer and smack deep. franga and joe roaming.

4 Likes

Hmmm… I wonder who fills that role. :joy:

Can anyone actually name me a game where a midfielder actually hurt us with overhead marking? In, say, the Worsfold reign, so post 2016?

I don’t think height of mids is really relevant these days. You do get Martin & Danger types who rotate forward to take marks, but they generally get a defender on them, not a midfielder.

2 Likes

If he kicks 10 in the next 2 weeks he’d stay in and forward for sure. I didn’t say he definitely goes out but he’ll have to improve to keep the spot.
Last night was a step in the right direction

I get your point on stringer and Franga bit I still think they don’t offer enough defensively if you’ve also got 2 tall forwards in the forwardline. They’ve got pace in spurts which helps but neither of them has the fitness to apply consistent defensive pressure

1 Like

Moved much better while his decision-making was a class above - Promising signs.

1 Like

That candy he sold to setup Tippa’s boundary goal was smooth!

4 Likes

I thought he was excellent at chf last night. I especially liked his hip and shoulder to force a rushed behind when we were scrambling in defense at one point. It was good to see him covering ground and his footy smarts just be too good for his opponent. If he took one of those screamers…

2 Likes

He was involved in the majority of our goals to some degree, be it direct involvement or an important smother or interception. Easily the best he’s looked up forward. Worth persisting with until smack/brown are ready to go.

4 Likes

Great kick for goal. Off a few steps too. Stable and repeatable

Loved his celebration after his goal. One of the highlights of the night.

9 Likes

Test

francisgif https://media.giphy.com/media/1extmA2BXXMuZV5GI0/giphy.gif

5 Likes

Would help his confidence, especially playing as a forward you’d like to hit the scoreboard.

1 Like

Still have no idea why he was penalised for that.
You’re going for the ball, an opponent is coming at you, you should brace yourself for contact.
The AFL’s new rules (interpretations) are teaching players to become soft and stupid.
What the AFL should have done was send that clip to all clubs and said “You want to bump - this is how you do it.”

2 Likes

Definitely. It was great to see him get rewarded for his effort.

You could not get a better bump than that.

7 Likes