#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Yep, the poor bugger still struggles with fitness. Looks strong tough and hard early in games. But as he tires he gets pushed around in contests.

If he can get his fitness to the required level he will be a gun.

I know people wonā€™t be talking about his game with the likes of Tippa, McKenna and Merrett, but he was good tonight. Good in the first quarter, and just as good in the last. Heā€™s building.

6 Likes

Did quite a few very nice things. Second effort in the first quarter was tops.

1 Like

I think heā€™s potentially the in the top few smartest users of the ball, and possibly the best vision. But he needs to either get his hands on the footy, or impact the contest a bit more.

IDK it seems heā€™s not playing his natural game at times.

4 Likes

Yeah had some great moments. He just needs some continuity in the backline with the other defenders. With all the injuries its pretty much his for the taking now.

Think you might have hit it on the head there. Last year he was probably more watching the ball and going for it, now itā€™s more do this for the game plan, and then worry about the ball.

Still looks a bit lost out there at times. Would love him to kill the contest a bit more instead of spectating. With his leap and reach he could punch the ball 5 rows back

2 Likes

I have been critical of him in the past (as a forward), but he had some important moments today (as a defender).

Is it just me or does he play better when he is given specific instructions re: an opposition player? Franga has a natural flair and is obviously talented, but he is also quite clever, so coaching instructions to him seem to make a diff. I am prolly wrong, but that is my read on it. Give him a specific defensive role and he will prolly acquit himself quite well. Not bad today, not bad.

1 Like

Still has a bit to work on, but is getting there.

Keep sending him up. He is making progress.

Will be interesting next week if Hooker and Hurley both miss, as Aaron will be the most experienced key defender. But heā€™ll be reunited with the all-star VFL defensive troop.

1 Like

Interesting people are lid on.

I thought that was his best game for us this year.

5 Likes

Iā€™m more a ā€œLid ajarā€ person myself

1 Like

Yeah he seemed to get his marking mojo back.

Donā€™t why his marking has been down all year, it was ridiculous last year.

Hopefully confidence builds.

Just leave him in the backline for the rest of the year.

The confidence this bloke plays with down back compared to being played forward is night and day.

He is getting back into the groove of the end of last year.

Ambrose and now Hurley being out wonā€™t help but he is growing each game.

His vision is the best at the club.

2 Likes

I agree with others he is a good player but needs to impact the contest more. He has had such a disrupted career so far. Hopefully he keeps going because he could be anything. He is a confidence player and hopefully that is building.

Iā€™m just quietly wondering if it will help him. The extra responsibility might actually suit him.

I can see us running a Hartley, BZT, Francis key position defence next week.

1 Like

That would be funny. Hartley, Zerk, Franga and Gleeson in the backline together. They were either running around in the vfl or injured at the start of the year. Would be very very interesting to see how they went.

3 Likes

Do it for the next couple of weeks. Give Hooker a rest from travel and playing plus Hurls and Ambrose out as well. Hopefully the 3 of them come back well rested and ready for a charge deep into the finals.

1 Like

Vfl bye, bring in a couple of the boys without hurting our run to the vfl finals

Thereā€™s quite a few times this year where Francis has created a clearance on hands and knees in the middle of a pack through pure intent. Heā€™s a monster in these close in moments. Even when he was playing forward, his efforts inside won us games. He has this reputation as a high leaping aerial presence, but his contested abilities are severely underrated.

20 Likes