#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

I think the issue is the lingering perception that he’ll be a gun kpd. He won’t, he just isn’t tall enough in the modern game, nor does he have the endurance and discipline of say an Ambrose.

He could though be an elite general defender and field marshal, something like Easton wood but with a more attaching balance, Jeremey Howe with a harder edge and a bit more creativity. I don’t see him being a McGovern type though.

1 Like

His game was hugely underrated. Watched the replay twice, he really stepped up when Hurley went down and was spoiling absolutely everything.

14 Likes

In the coaches wrap up, Rutten makes specific mention of Franga’s game. Said he is going very well.

6 Likes

He’s a bit of an in-betweener, we’ve got a few in Lang, Lav, String and Francis… all about the same height, all got really good skills… all potentially good multi-role players.

String is obviously the most advanced - think Franga has similar attributes to String - String being stronger through the hips/core, Frang with the better leap.

Not sure the point of this post - just wondering what sort of player Frang will end up being. He’s developing nicely though… just hard to define the specific role he’ll end up making his own

1 Like

He’s the exact same height as Hurley. He’ll be fine as a KPD long term.

Except that Hurley is too short for a kp these days.

4 Likes

Yeah I watched him closely again in the third and reckon he had atleast half a dozen spoils

Are you citing the obvious instance from just this game or do you think this has been a problem in previous games also?

To me he seems like the type that needs to be settled in a role and given very specific instructions to perform near his best.

I guess he’ll have his chance over the next few weeks…

Elliot Yeo without the tank

When I see him play, it sometimes looks like he doesn’t believe he’s good enough to be out there.

3 Likes

I have hopes for Francis and his talents too but the thing I find baffling is when people mention speed. To me hes quite a static footballer with ball in hand. His closing speed/physicality as a defender, perhaps a fitness of confidence thing, is an area for improvement if hes to make it at AFL at all let alone become a superstar.

Hes improving I think at being physical in the air rather than wanting a clean clear run up too. His physicality is something hes growing into rather than it being an obvious natural thing you see in some players from game 1.

The high flying mark he took as North tried to clear our forward 50 was a ripper.

1 Like

Ive been very critical of him but his game on Saturday was good

Just Watched the replay. He was everywhere in defence in the last two quarters. Very solid game.

2 Likes

He needs too go when it’s his time to go.

He’ll get there just more game time and experience which will give him confidence.

Hurley out will mean he gets his chance to step up.

Had a good last qtr

He is taller than Ambrose

Ambrose has some other exceptional qualities that allow him to get away with it, just. And even then it’s something many here thought he was incapable of. Francis will never have Ambrose’s tank. I doubt he has his single minded discipline either because his natural game involves a bit of flair and a lot of instinct. I don’t think you’d want to coach that out of him

4 Likes

I agree, my point was it isn’t purely about height - which you have highlighted. Hurley handled the big KP guys pretty well a few years ago before he leaned down. FWIW I also don’t think Francis will become a KPD but he is big enough.

Starting to look good now with a few games in defence under his belt.

Much like last year where it took him 2-3 games to get going

Eventually he going to have to learn to better lock down an opponent.

But his narural game is best suited to the zone off intercept marking role. With Hurls out. Could we play abro and hooker on the best tall fwds, and let Francis play as the interceptor?

Let this guy float around in the backline and play his natural game, you will see clunk City.

plus Gleeson to clunk as well