#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

If You were an opposition coach you’d be tagging Zaharakis surely. His link work between the 2 arcs has been sensational. Zaka IS our run through the corridor.

And then Merrett gets off the chain.

Part of the reason Zaka has been so good lately is that the opposition rates Merrett our #1 midfielder and tag him accordingly - it happened last night, it happened against Carlton (Zac didn’t deal with the close attention well).

4 Likes

To my eye he’s really improved his hardness. His tackling is better and his willingness to accept contact to try and win the ball or force a stopagge is just miles ahead of where it has been at any time in his career. He’s also all but cut out the blind kicks from stopagges and is using hands as a first option in congestion.

He’s always been able to run and link if no one sits on him but the improvement in his contested game is what has taken him to the next level.

No doubt the emergence of Zerret has had an enormous impact too

11 Likes

Has been fantastic past 13/14 weeks.
Before that he was headed for the trade table. Not anymore!!
Reckon he will run first or second at b&f

Best on by a street Saturday Night. Was always there at the contest but was also able to spread away from it as well. Career-best form for me, very much a barometer for the team now. If he plays well, Essendon play well. It used to be the other way around.

Contract talks put off until the end of the season. Source: Scott Lucas

I really hope we aren’t lowballing a good midfielder when we need more midfielders and that this is just a wait and see what is available move

He will get big money offers from clubs now, the list of FAs is rapidly shrinking and he is playing out of his skin

3 Likes

He also said all parties are happy with how it’s progressing. Might be more contingent on how much money they’re trying to spend on somebody else and what salary cap room they clear via retirements. Long way from panic stations I reckon.

Also naive to think Lucas has been fielding inquiries for 12mths+.

What if he wants 5 years?

Maybe we’re holding off too. If we don’t land the big trade then we should be front loading Zaka to go again at a trade in 2018.

1 Like

100%

Maybe the whack hird gave him on the way out paid dividends?

1 Like

Given it’s Round 23, may as well wait until the season is done…

Yes. Wait and see if GWS win their mandated flag first … :crossed_fingers:

Wouldn’t like to see him go but if it’s for the right deal then sure. The way he’s been playing he’s on the verge of critical to our performance. Lifelong Essendon lad too. I’d like to see him going in and getting the hard ball for us next season.

He’ll stay.

Did I miss something? What did Hird do/say?

In his final press conference he singled Zaharakis out for being soft. Or something along those lines.

1 Like

“That (free agency) actually hasn’t really come to my head … exploring the market and that kind of thing is something that some players do and other players don’t,” Zaharakis said.
“For me it doesn’t really matter when it gets done. If it gets done in the next month or two … or if it gets done at the end of the year, I’m just focusing really on playing footy,” Zaharakis said.
“That can all come to the fore when it does, it doesn’t really bother me. It’s not going to hang over my head when it gets done early or later.”

3 Likes

You have to give it to him waiting till after he wins the b&f before they sign the cheque just clever business from a smart man

“Gentlemen please, let me carry this team to its first finals win in like forever, then we’ll make a deal”

The cojones on the lad, must have some pretty good footy for us planned the next few games,
give em hell David

Gave him a none-too-subtle, but light hearted whack for being a bit soft.
That would’ve been August ish 2015.