#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Theres a reason it comes up every year

1 Like

Lack of imagination?

5 Likes

More a lack of intelligence.

3 Likes

That too.

Re-read what I wrote. I didn’t say drafting Hurley was gross. I was referring to the draft class as a whole.

Like the other poster, you’ve missed the point of my comment. Hurley is very good, just not the superstar many on here believe. Zaka will retire as not a lot more than a good average player. Neither of these views are extreme.

Couple that with the rest of the draft crop being complete busts, it’s a lousy draft year.

Hurley as the best of the 2008 draft? Yeah, nah.

I reckon he’s better than a good average player.

Drafted at number 23 with 250 odd games and a B & F.

1 Like

It also seems to me that people have an expectation of him that doesn’t match the type of player he is.

1 Like

Let’s say our midfield next year consists of Smith, Heppell, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Merrett, Fantasia, Zaharakis, and maybe a big recruit (or not).

I would have thought that of that group, Zaharakis is clearly the player with the least to offer going forward.

That’s not to say he’s not a half decent player, but if he’s literally at the bottom of our current pile of midfielders then surely his trade value is fair game to discuss?

5 Likes

Fair to discuss. I don’t think Zaha is a star by any stretch but agree with Ice T that he’s not capable of being the type of player that some people want.

Of your midfield group, Fanta is often injured (but a potential star), McG and Parish are v young, and Lang has a fair way to go having shown a bit of improvement. Zaha is very fit and resilient and will be in the middle for bounces for 20 games a season so I reckon he’s worth hanging on to.

People seem to forget he was our best player before his injury.

Does he have his limitations as a player? Yes, like virtually every player does, we just need to find the best way to utilise him.

Personally I think he is best when he starts inside the contest and then spreads. Our midfield should also focus on feeding the ball to the best ball movers; we have learnt this season to get it to the line breakers but our midfielders need to be trying to free up and feed it to the better kicks.

I’d rather see Heppell, Zaharakis and even Smith dishing it off to Langford and Merrett than the reverse.

2 Likes

If he had never showed it I would agree. But he has had periods where he has shown what sort of player he can be. Just doesn’t do it anywhere consistent enough

You need to look at the success of draft picks more.

On historical averages to pick a two time AA with your first pick and a 200 (could be 300) game player with your second is an unbelievably good draft.

1 Like

Ahh the old “i’m adding ■■■■■■■ nothing to a discussion.”

Surely you sense that my post was team anti-trade zaka.

1 Like

Lol ok

Eh? This guy was having a great season before his injury, now he’s back doing his part and has a nondescript 30-possession game and the 15-years-of-mediocrity sooks go scrolling down the page to see which player they can bag out this week?

Farking lol.

4 Likes

These are your words fella. No misunderstanding.

And yes, he is probably the best of his draft class across his career. NicNat has been destroyed via injury.

The fact that Sidebottom will likely play 100 games more than him may be the only other factor.

Dan Hannebery has had the best career.

3x AA
Key plank in a flag.
Coaches association MVP

Sometimes I think he should do more, especially defensively.
I was curious to see how he compares to Isaac Smith that will probably fall short of the AA team but most likely be in the squad. Statistically their years are very close. Both have had poor games.
He probably gets critiqued too harshly and we may have to consider that when playing purely as a wingman that some games can bypass that position.