#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Let’s stay to the parameters here and get this right. I’m not asking for the best career otherwise Liam Shiel’s and Luke Breust win farking hands down.

You are saying Daniel Hanneberry should have been the number 1 pick because he is the best player from his draft year?

It was a bizzare statement and he’s just trying to cover his tracks.

He has to be more than in the conversation yep. You wouldn’t complain if you picked him at 1.

In no particular order
Hanners, Sidebottom, beams, Rockliff, Sloane Hurly, Nic Nat are the cream. Splitting hairs to seperate them.

Hannebery was good for the longest out of that bunch from 2012 until 2017 he was a top line mid.

I don’t think he is a must trade and more than happy if he stays but there should be barely anyone on our list who is not tradeable for the right price. If GWS wanted our first and Zaka for Shiel hypothetically I’d jump at it

1 Like

So logically then it follows that players can trade themselves anywhere they like at anytime they like for the right price.

Seems to me that both clubs and players can break contracts far too easily.

He has been learning from you.

1 Like

Players have too much power IMO. The club should always hold the sway in any power balance. Players already break contracts and get to where they want to go. I’d love to see clubs take some power back and be able to trade players against their will like they do in the US

3 Likes

I find the entire ‘contract’ debate really frustrating.

If everyone considered an AFL contract as a legal agreement on financial terms everyone could just get over it.

1 Like

Please, please, for the love of god, understand that I’m talking about the draft class as a whole.
And the two time AA tag flatters Hurley.

But getting 2 players of that quality in any draft makes it a pretty reasonable draft regardless of how bad the other players were.

There’s absolutely a misunderstanding. I have no issue with Hurley for pick 5. I was talking about the drafting as a whole. Stop cherry picking.

Best of his draft year? Beams, Hannebery, Sloane, Sidebottom are all ahead.

Don’t get me wrong - he works his backside off, is a very good footballer and loves the club, meaning that we (yes, me included) rightly love him back. But gee whiz, he gets overrated around here.

Actually, he is overrated by the general public.

He is seriously underrated around here.

3 Likes

Stop digging yourself deeper.

Truth is, over the last 10 years he is in the best 4 key position defenders in the league.

If he played for Hawks or Cats during their dominant periods people would talk about him among the greats. Same as they do Sam Mitchell, who on balance isn’t fit to shine Judd or Abletts shoes.

Respectfully disagree. We netted a very good player and a good-average player but nothing else from the ND. Need to do better to win a flag. All open to interpretation, of course

1 Like

nobody is cherry picking. even if you are talking about the draft performance as a whole youd be pretty satisfied with drafting both hurley and zaharakis out of the same draft. both 200 game players, that doesnt happen often. Id just give up if i were you

2 Likes

Don’t like opposing opinions? No problem. One thing I’m sure we can both agree on is that 2019 looks very promising :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All good dude. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

I’m with you on 2019

2 Likes

Off the top of my head. Zerrett aside. Do we have a better 2nd round draft selection on our list?

200 game players outside the 1st round are jackpots

No worries, Hurls :wink:

Not 2nd rounders but Hooker and Raz are better late picks.