#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

We have had this argument many times on Blitz and your ideology shows through.

I have always objected to young blokes being forced to move away to play footy. And especially in the years when West Coast was an opium den, now when Gold Coast is a basket case and even forcing kids to lay for Carlscum is an infringement of their rights. Does not happen in any other employment expect for some professional sport.

Name a player who has broken a contract !! Some may have threatened, but Clubs have always agreed and got their pound of flesh and pint of blood in the deal. We all can name Bomber players who were under contract and were forced to move elsewhere, under the threat of never playing again for anyone.

All I am saying is that a contract should be honored on both sides, and at the end of the contract the Player and Club get to renew it or not, and if the Player moves on, it is just like any other Employee getting a new contractual job. Sure some Players get paid a lot of money, but without them there is no game, and most of them do not have incredible lifetime earnings, unless they have a great Accountant and a smart Wife.

2 Likes

Of course they are.

Just for the record, here is what gross drafting in 2008 looks like:

7 Likes

I recon he gets played out of position to often. He struggles when he plays a role just on the outside. He is an inside, outside player. If you look at his best games he has played more of a role inside.

1 Like

Opposing opinions are fine, just don’t expect to anybody to agree with them when they are wrong. Just because there are better players picked after doesn’t mean it’s a bad selection. For every Beams or Hannebery there are ten other guys you have never heard of.

To cherry pick a draft ten years later and say it’s a fail because the guy we got only played 200 good games rather than 200 great games is beyond ridiculous expectation of any recruitment team.

4 Likes

If you’re after midfielders, maybe.
How do you think Hurls weighs up against players of his kind, in his draft year?

Some of us have both in one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like Hird, I just wish Zaka went in a little harder sometimes. Too many times I watch him go the soft option or not even attempt a tackle.

He’s a good outside player but he can be frustratingly soft defensively.

4 Likes

I know Hurls looks Aryan, but we don’t need to segregate by kind do we. That never ends well.

He reminds me of Oppie from SoA

1 Like

Imagine if he didn’t kick that goal on ANZAC day. Go on, just imagine for a second.

Reminds Noonan of Opie from Andy Griffiths Show.

Does he get jabs for niggles and such? Have always wondered since his needle phobia?
If he didn’t, it could explain why his form fluctuates

BT would have just said “Zaharakis has done it,” instead of “Zaharakis has done it again.”

1 Like

Still would be one of our better players over the past 10 years. But his flaws are getting more and more exposed as time goes on IMO.

1 Like

One of 6 current players to have won the Crichton.

I think he is one of our better players. The last three months he hasn’t been such a standout because the midfield in general has lifted its standard and the general pace of the side is greater.
Isn’t he one of the few players going around with a game that exceeded 30 touches and 4 goals?

I think Ben Affleck called Melbourne’s 2008 draft performance “gross and racist”.

Don’t get me wrong I’m open for free trade and scrapping the draft but it has to work both ways. Plenty of players leave whilst under contract and whilst the clubs do get compensated they are often forced to take unders. Gibbs left with 2 years to run and Carlton were handsomely compensated, McCarthy on the other hand got GWS stuff all, Ryder was well unders. That’s just a few examples and it’s becoming more common

Wasn’t McCarthy put on the sidelines for a year, though?