#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Sidebottom is the player Zaka should be. Yep. I’d take a front running seagull who doesn’t go missing when the heat is on

DId zaka play on Beams cause if he did, he took him out of the game. Was certainly not our worst player

2 Likes

Not going missing when the heat is on means he is not a front runner
Just a good player

Was very poor again.

Does he need to be grilled in the media during the week to perform?

Or was he underdone with the knee injury?

2 Likes

Zavid Daharakis

2 Likes

AFL 2019: Essendon midfielder David Zaharakis opens up on emotional toll of social media abuse

AFL

Matt Balmer

David Zaharakis (left) has spoken of the emotional toll social media abuse can have on AFL players. Photo: Michael Dodge/Getty Images.Source: Getty Images

Essendon’s David Zaharakis has spoken of the emotional toll social media abuse can have on an AFL footballer, in light of a continued mental health battle for players.

The midfielders message to fans comes after St Kilda star Jack Steven elected to take an indefinite break from the game to focus on his mental health and wellbeing.

Zaharakis reminded fans that it was important for them to remember AFL players had a human side to them, despite being professional athletes.

“You’ve obviously got to take the human element into it,” Zaharakis said on Channel 9’s The Footy Show .

“We’re professional footballers but we are humans also. I think a lot of people in society these days (suffer from mental illnesses). I’ve got a personal account of my own, someone in my family suffers from mental health (struggles).

“It’s something that’s going to be there in society and footballers aren’t immune from that. It’s great that (Steven) has taken leave from the game to get himself right.”

Zaharakis also spoke of how the negative social media comments can affect the mindset of AFL players, especially if they were already down in the dumps following a loss or poor individual performance.

“The scrutiny in the AFL, you open up so many things these days with social media and anyone can say anything to you,” he said.

“If you’re having a bad day and all of a sudden you cop that, it feels like your world is crashing down around you.”

MORE AFL NEWS

‘CONTRACT ESPIONAGE’: Behind Port’s power play to lock in teenage trio

EXPERT ROUND 7 AFL TIPS: Dees to bounce back, Sunday night upset

NOT WORKING ALREADY? Another Roos recruit faces the axe

Jack Steven has taken a period of leave to focus on his mental health and wellbeing. Photo: Michael Klein.Source: News Corp Australia

“Hopefully for him, he can get time away and recoup and come back a better person and a better player.”

The 192-game AFL player also explained how he quit Twitter following the Bombers heavy defeat at the hands of GWS in Round 1.

“I was sick of the social media ride you go on with Twitter and how anyone can say anything, so I quit it about eight weeks ago, post Round 1. I was just sick of it,” Zaharakis said.

“You go on there and you just cop things from anyone because anyone can say anything.

“I haven’t had it for seven or eight weeks now and I don’t look at my phone and think about going on it.”

1 Like

I’m honestly sick hearing about grown adults complaining about social media trolls. Don’t use it. How hard is it not to use fkg Instagram/ Twitter? Or at the very least keeping your profile private?

7 Likes

Isn’t that exactly what he did?

2 Likes

Don’t read the articles

7 Likes

It was posted in the zaka thread.

1 Like

lol

1 Like

This isn’t the Langford thread m8

Fmd

That’s a shame

You are sick of hearing people complain?

5 Likes

I’m not a person

lol

1 Like

He is complaining about something that he read on the internet about people complaining about reading things on the internet.

4 Likes

Social media is a very valuable tool these days especially for famous people who can use it for business or building their own brand. It can also be very addictive (whilst sometimes bad) for some just like drugs or alcohol.