#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Sorry I must of been mistaken for you defending Zac Clarke with a straight face. Not sure about Hurley, check out his thread maybe? I think his spoiling was called on?

Right, so we’ve established that Zaka is not the only person copping it then. Great. So you were wrong (I know, you’ll never admit it as everyone on Blitz knows.)

Personally I think a soon to be 30 year old should be doing a lot better than what he’s consistently serving up these days. A LOT better. Saying there’s 5-6 kids that are playing worse does not make me feel better about a so called leader who played more midfield time than anyone struggling to reach 20 mediocre possessions in games now.

2 Likes

Just so we’re clear, HAP thinks Zaka put in a good performance and that’s what we should expect from soon to be 30 year olds. That ladies and gentlemen is why we are SH*T again because we applaud mediocrity. Bring up Zaka to every other opposition supporter without rose coloured glasses and they laugh. But it’s good enough I guess. Tipping we’ll rotate Parish out next week to leave this boy in.

3 Likes

Yep. Stringer, Merrett, Saad, McKenna, Redman, Hooker, Brown and Smith generally play hard and give the same output regardless of how the game is going.

The rest all fall off dramatically when the ■■■■ hits the fan.

Definitely part of it. Last week was a lot worse than that too.

Unbelievable right? Hurley was really good. The AFL website named him as our best. (a little overboard) But 21 disposals at 100% and 11 marks.

The old boys on our team can’t do anything right.

Except defensively Hurley was absolute rubbish

Just so we’re clear.
You’re saying it’s the supporters’ fault.
And you’re probably allowed to drive a car and vote in elections.

His man had 7 touches and 2 shots!

All their tall forwards were well beaten.

In a round about way we as supporters are at fault. The only way to force change is to hit the club where it hurts. Don’t attend any more games, don’t purchase memberships, give the club zero just like they have given us. See if changes are made when they play in empty stadiums

Except every single week you’re pulling your hair out when a youngster has a bad game gets dropped before an older guy who has an OK game.

Almost like the same is expected of all players, regardless of age.
But yeah, you’re probably right.

No because it’s in ingrained mentality of EFC to accept mediocrity as success and applaud poor to mediocre games. We can’t stand up to any expectations and get found lacking when the heat is on. You have to look to the players as to the reason why and you start with the leaders/oldest players and work your way down.

I’m truly happy for you that you think Zaka had a great game last night. I personally hold higher expectations for 29 year old leaders of the club in the midfield. He had just about more midfield time than anyone outside of Heppell, Shiel and Zerrett so yes I’m looking at him. I’m sure he’ll keep fulfilling your expectations for the rest of the year and we’ll finish 12th.

3 Likes

Did you see how many contests he had no impact on. How many times he completely mistimed the spoil

You can’t always rely on stats, they don’t tell the whole story

2 Likes

They had 11 marks inside 50. We had 6. I would say their tall forwards performed well…

2 Likes

We can do two things. Turn up, or not turn up.
Keep not turning up, and the eventually sack the coach.
But sacking the coach doesn’t = winning flags.
Otherwise we’d have had 3 recently.

Kind of sounds like the coaching staff have NFI, right? Dropping kids like Parish who should be smack bang in the middle over elderlies like Myers.

The same is not expected of a 200 game player than a 1st gamer. The only similarities is going hard at the contest and giving their all. Relative performance is not expected otherwise 95% of 1st gamers would never get a second game because most are generally underwhelming unless your name is Barlow or Walsh.

You stick with kids whilst they learn the game until the pay dividends down the track. At 18 you are not the finished article. Especially talls. At 30 you should be.

Don’t try and talk sh*t and argue for 1000 years like you always do and say with a straight face that the coaches expect the same performance from a kid than a 30 year old. Jesus.

2 Likes

Not sacking the coach just keeps rewarding mediocrity

It’s sad when supporters seem to have higher expectations of the club then the club does of itself

Needs more than just the coach replaced. Notice how the utter duds like Skipworth still have a job despite the change of coaches. Clean the lot out out from the top down

Fine.
So why aren’t you starting with the leadership group?

Because I’m in the Zaharakis thread discussing Zaharakis?

Now we’re talking.

Do you think he gets an elephant sticker every week we get within 20 points of a side? Is that how “rewarding mediocrity” works?