#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Ok - I’ve had a think about this.
I disagree with you. I think there is a gulf of difference.
I also think my avatar is petty. It was meant to make a point, and it hasn’t, really. It serves no purpose and if it upsets people it isn’t meant to, then I’m changing it back.

I’ll be clear though - I do not agree that it is the same thing at all.
And I’ll reserve my disdain at @Killer_Mike and his ■■■■■■■ bullshit mocking avatar for the time when I can hopefully tell him face to face.

So you had a think about it and what you came up with is your actions are fine and everyone else is wrong.

You are good :joy:

1 Like

Hypocritically good

1 Like

If we’re going to sack the football department, start with the idiots who though extending Zaka’s contract was a good idea.

1 Like

He was playing very good footy in 2017 when they extended it.

3 year contracts when you’re near 30 are very very risky, this isn’t as bad as Mercuri cause he can still turn it around but 2 years max when you’re close to 30. Common sense.

Plays some ripper games around contract renewal time for some reason, always has.

1 Like

I’m not the biggest fan of Zaka, but he’s been a pretty serviceable mid for us over a long time. At 29 he’s most likely reached his ceiling, but his best can be very, very good.

My main question ATM is why is he playing in the backline? Maybe he’s been pushed out of the midfield due to other preferences, but Woosha still wants him in the team?

Whatever the case, he looks totally out of sorts there. Needs to be on a wing / running through the midfield IMO.

1 Like

No idea why there’s so much criticism here for his game this week. He was played off the ball - defence and not so much wing which he’s done earlier this year - for 3 1/2 quarters. 19 touches at 79%, 416 m gained and 3 tackles. Nothing stellar but totally serviceable.
Parish played a great game but was after all played midfield for much of it - 31 touches (19 contested which was awesome) at 68% (pretty good with so much contested), 507 m gained and 5 tackles.
Give Zaka more mid time and he probably gets numbers maybe not equal to parish’s but in the ballpark.
Now these are mostly kids/fringe but if you want a look at what really didn’t work try tipp- 6 disp at 50%,?mcniece 15 at 50 % total 23 m gained, red man did a few things but 13 with 7 turnovers,
But yeah loss - something something Zaka.

2 Likes

Would need to do a Hannebery type deal to get rid of him - no club with any list management sense would take his contract on for a pick in the top 40.

And how’d you know that he would?

We’d be lucky to get a 4th rounder for him in a trade.
~30 years old who’d offer a potential top 4 to 8 team three fifths of ■■■■ all.

Might help spruce up a few photo shoot but he’s doing nothing for your team on the field.

He’s had a good career though he’s been assisted by playing for a club that has barely achieved making the top 8 throughout he’s entire duration at the Bombers.

There’s a reason our most “experienced” player isn’t in the leadership team. It’s because he’s inconsistent and can’t be relied upon when required.

Does his typical one B+ quality game then back to his C average most weeks with the occasional E-D. The fact he’s been “safe” with his form over the past few years highlights our poor list/performance.

Nice guy, he’s tried his best for us which is to be respected, but it’s well and truly time to move on from him.

Of course this is not entirely his fault but how we got to a position of Bombers players playing as many games he has without winning a single final is beyond pathetic. He and the likes of Bellchambers, Hurley, Hooker, Heppell & Myers should be embarrassed at the thought of that stat.

1 Like

I don’t know how other teams view our list or individual players, and l don’t pretend that l know.

“Not entirely his fault”.

By the way that logic of playing lots of games without a winning final meaning you are crap -
Here’s a few for you
S madden approx 190
G Foulds approx 180
T Watson approx 140

Now, it probably wasn’t “entirely” their fault, either, but if Blitz had been around, these plodders might have been called on to be sacked rather than wastefully retained. Now, this is not to suggest Zaka is in their class or we’ll wade into a back-to-back, but just to note that the logic as applied is just silly.

1 Like

We’ve gone from a footy team to a weather channel.

images

3 Likes

Come back to me when the players I mentioned win 2-3 GF’s each as well as play in 2 other losing GF’s by the end of their careers. Or come runners up in a Brownlow.

2 of those 3 were hugely influence between 50-75 games.

Hurley and Heppell well and truly were from the current list but outside of a few top shelf games Zaharakis has always turned the ball over at crucial times. We’re still waiting for Myers to have that game now.

What frustrates not only me but plenty of supporters is why have the likes of Zaka and Myers been immune from being dropped? The week before last was the first time Myers has been genuinely omitted, not rested. Has Zaka ever been dropped?
Tim Watson’s 3 kicks in the 93 Prelim were more influential than 75% of Zakas >25 possession games. They have no issue dropping Parish but more than happy to play this guy over and over again regardless of form

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve ever seen him pull out of so many contests in one game before. Something is not right with him.

1 Like

Utter bs.