#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

I definitely think Merrett should be VC. But i agree with you on everything else.

Merrett is our best player.
Not sure he is our best leader. But he is still a midfield general.

I would have him third behind Hooker, who I think is a beast.

2 Likes

Isn’t it just this?

1 Like

In my opinion you should pick a younger type like Merrett as VC in an apprenticeship scenario. No point having a VC that will retire before the Captain.

1 Like

Bit harsh.

Merrett is the right choice as VC (especially as almost everyone in here wants him as captain).
JoeD being injured this year was not expected
Myers was the senior guy on the list and the players absolutely listen and follow him and love him
Fanta was my only question mark but they were expecting big things from him this year

Next year Zaka maybe as the Myers replacement>

Hepps
Merrett
Zaka
Stringer
Shiel

Hep ©
Zerrett (vc)
Smith
Stringer
Saad

a leadership group that could remain unchanged for for the next 6 or 7 years

Zaka has been playing really well. I’ve been knocking him but since he went back I became really happy with the way he was going about it. Maybe it’s my defender bias. And now he’s back in the middle and playing well.

If he starts smelling in the middle it’s good to know he can go back for a couple of weeks and freshen up and come back in.

Only reason I didn’t go with Smith was due to injury issues. Zaka rarely misses.

1 Like

Pretty sure he originally went back to replace Ridley, and he’s been much better.

Personally I think it’s been far from wasted, he’s really re-discovered his overhead form.
He is such a good mark, but that had really dropped off big time since his early years.

EDIT: and kudos to Mark Harvey. I’ve been a big critic, but he’s undoubtedly brought a real edge back to Zaha’s play.

1 Like

Yep.
First thing you want to ensure of your leaders is they’re going to be out there. Has hurt us bigtime this year and last.

Hepp, Shiel, Hurley, Zaha, Zerrett, McGrath, would be my group.

Not sure I’m 100% happy with Hooker being in there, I feel like those 50s he gives away are a sign he’s borderline not keeping up.

BOG one game then hardly seen the next…

said nobody ever

I was thinking about that yesterday.

This year he has either been terrible or really good. Need more consistency from a senior player

2 Likes

Huge game from Zaka.

Just about our cleanest player in the first half.

1 Like

Have a listen to ‘The Pros and Cons’ podcast - Zaka and a mate.
Episode #1, at 23:00 minute mark.

Good that he’s given away paying any heed to jerks.

Is there anyone that isn’t doing a bluddy Podcast these days?? :thinking:

Wanna do a podcast?

4 Likes

Latest episode has Sam Newman as a guest. Quite good.

3 Likes

I didn’t really notice him the first watch, but watching the replay I thought he was really good.

The stint at half back has been really good for him. Seems to be more defensively focused and stood under a few high balls and hospital passes.

This could all be confirmation bias but he’s definitely looking tougher and showing more on field leadership.