#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Was is it so hard to accept players are playing bad when they’re playing bad? I’m not saying we should drag him and his family around…I’m just saying he’s been in poor form? Are we allowed to say players aren’t playing well?

Well Crazy one, you said that Zaka has been rubbish and deplorable for the past ten weeks. This is a bit more than “in poor form”.

And I do reckon for right or wrong that you need to have played the game before you can spout strong opinions about players performances. AFL is on of the hardest and most competitive games on the planet and all the guys who go out on the field are the elite of the sport. They train very hard, and have good and bad games, and to suggest that they are not trying or squibbing at any time is just nonsense.

I always thought crazy bomber is robbie Muir and mad as a squirrel.

I track Stanton is gonna give Zaka a big season launch present next year. He knows he ain’t going to be tagged anymore and will run ■■■■■■■ rampant next year.

I gotta say - and this is in no way designed to be a comment on his playing ability, and I'm not having a go at anyone who's been knocking him - but I would not have enjoyed being in Zaharakis' position this year.

First, he’s had pretty much had no contact with 12 of his best mates who have all been posting photos of themselves holidaying topless all over Europe (despite being suspended, yes unfairly, but suspended nonetheless for taking banned substances) while he busts his gut playing footy back home in a team with about a 2% chance of winning (at best) every week, doing 5:00 am recovery sessions in the middle of winter.

He’s been copping crap like “you’re only playing because you’re scared of needles” from fans, supporters, Triple M flogs etc.

Doing media interviews where nobody wants to talk about the fact that he was playing career best footy in the first 10 rounds - rather, they want to know “What’s Jobe doing? Is Hurley coming back? Should Jobe keep his Brownlow? Is Hurley coming back?”

I wouldn’t blame him (or any other player TBH) if he’s had just about enough of this season - and his last few performances had suggested he had, but no, he goes out on the weekend and has 40 disposals and gets an absolute rabble of a team up for a win.

Good onya Zaka.

Post is worth repeating. I've wondered a little bit about his season and how he's travelling, but not in any detail. These are good points. Hopefully he can finish the season just like he did in 2013.

Maybe just maybe he finally learnt how to break a tag. This weekend will be a telling point against a team with similar midfielders to him. Zaka 2.0.

Was is it so hard to accept players are playing bad when they’re playing bad? I’m not saying we should drag him and his family around…I’m just saying he’s been in poor form? Are we allowed to say players aren’t playing well?

Well Crazy one, you said that Zaka has been rubbish and deplorable for the past ten weeks. This is a bit more than “in poor form”.

And I do reckon for right or wrong that you need to have played the game before you can spout strong opinions about players performances. AFL is on of the hardest and most competitive games on the planet and all the guys who go out on the field are the elite of the sport. They train very hard, and have good and bad games, and to suggest that they are not trying or squibbing at any time is just nonsense.

pretty sure i was the one who said that not Crazy Bomber.

why is it nonsense to say that they have squibbed a contest- if they indeed did?

Bulldogs usually don’t tag but at times will move Picken onto a hot player.

Bulldogs usually don't tag but at times will move Picken onto a hot player.

Well Zaha is damn hot, so Picken it is.

I’m sorry, but that’s a load of crap. I hate when people try and say that you have to have played at the elite level to have a valid opinion.

I take it Brendan Bolton can’t critique his own players then?

I’m sorry, but that’s a load of crap. I hate when people try and say that you have to have played at the elite level to have a valid opinion.

Not a lot of women would have played the game either… I guess they don’t get an opinion.

Caro would disagree… ((yes, not the best argument I’ve ever made))

pretty sure i was the one who said that not Crazy Bomber.

why is it nonsense to say that they have squibbed a contest- if they indeed did?

Ah man, it doesn't matter to Bacchus. Just so we clear according to Bacchus... Girls and anyone that has never played AFL can't have opinions on player performances? Because girls don't deserve opinions, right? What would they know... Screw you buddy (I don't like being mean usually, and I'm sure you're still a decent guy.) Girls and everyone else are entitled to their opinions, and I certainly won't be taking your word on anything (Baccus was saying Cooney should get another year, right?). In fact I'd take 99% of people's opinions over yours.

Zakarakis has had a poor last few months. You can’t deal with that? Maybe replay some of Zaharakis’ goals from 5 years ago on constant replay and keep kidding yourself. Most logical, thoughtful people can ascertain that if they go through the games. I’m not calling his family a bunch of cheezels, so relax. How is being embarrassed by a 20 year old tagger in his first few games anything but? Some Eagles pleb… Or by Barlow? Or by Taylor Hunt? Or by Robinson? Or by Scott Selwood? Or having no impact against the Crows (6 possessions in a half)? Tell me how this is anything other than terrible, rubbish form. Zaharakis HIMSELF said he’s been in terrible form. Why are you (and select others) so overprotective and scared to point out when someone plays bad? And trust me, he’s played badly the last few months. He’s been bad, you need to deal with it. But he was also really good on the weekend, REALLY good. I hope he can play another 2 more like it and destroy Carlton ecspiecally. Honestly if we can’t point out the bleeding obvious then close the forum.

Oh, and I’d appreciate you not making up stuff saying that I said “he doesn’t try” and that I’ve ever said anything about Stanton. You’re lying, so STFU. Hopefully I’ve entertained people and taken their minds off Hurley for a few minutes. Bring back wob and such and such.

perhaps we should start a thread on coaches who did not play at the top level…

....he's been utterly useless. Jogging half pace around, 20m passes to opposition players, he doesn't even look like he cares anymore?

Making stuff up?

I actually disagree with Bacchus, anyone can comment. And there’s nothing wrong with honest criticism. However, for what it’s worth, and I’m not pretending thy is much, I reckon criticism ought to be in line with what you’d be happy to say right to a players face. Not spitting across the fence like some Richmond flog supporter, but if you ran into them at a bus stop or the local footy club fundraiser. And that would - I reckon - omit some of those derogatory lines that various have posted on here. Not saying you said these things Crazy, but if everyone who wrote lines like pea heart, take a decent trade and run, can’t teach heart, no he didn’t work hard just jogged around etc reckons they would be happy to say that face to face, I call bull@&$t. I can hear some saying of course you wouldn’t speak the same way. Why not? Because they deserve respect? Only to their face?, But not behind their back, where you can be an anonymous big man? What would that say about you?

The difference between what you’d say on here and face to face should be a measurable index. Keyboard warrior factor.

I gotta say - and this is in no way designed to be a comment on his playing ability, and I'm not having a go at anyone who's been knocking him - but I would not have enjoyed being in Zaharakis' position this year.

First, he’s had pretty much had no contact with 12 of his best mates who have all been posting photos of themselves holidaying topless all over Europe (despite being suspended, yes unfairly, but suspended nonetheless for taking banned substances) while he busts his gut playing footy back home in a team with about a 2% chance of winning (at best) every week, doing 5:00 am recovery sessions in the middle of winter.

He’s been copping crap like “you’re only playing because you’re scared of needles” from fans, supporters, Triple M flogs etc.

Doing media interviews where nobody wants to talk about the fact that he was playing career best footy in the first 10 rounds - rather, they want to know “What’s Jobe doing? Is Hurley coming back? Should Jobe keep his Brownlow? Is Hurley coming back?”

I wouldn’t blame him (or any other player TBH) if he’s had just about enough of this season - and his last few performances had suggested he had, but no, he goes out on the weekend and has 40 disposals and gets an absolute rabble of a team up for a win.

Good onya Zaka.

Thanks for that Brem06. That puts a whole new perspective on what Zaka and should be taken into consideration when criticizing his form. Last year he said he was working hard in the off season to become a better player and the first half of this season was quite sensational. Of recent times again he has said that he was not happy with his playing prior to the GC game and turned it around this week in great style. If he keeps this form up for the rest of the year and everyone else does their job we could cause an upset next week against the dogies and give fark Carlton a good hiding.

And on the flip side, how many idiotic analyses of players have we been subjected to by rubes who DID play at the elite level, on TV and radio?

I do agree with Bacchus to the extent that having an understanding of how it works to be out on a field actually playing the game can enhance viewpoints, but irrespective of experience and background some have a nous for astute analysis, some don’t. And some are just dicks who for some reason feel big by insulting players representing their own team. That I don’t get.

On Zaka, he’s had a tough couple of months, but it’s ridiculous to suggest he’s weak, lazy, doesn’t care, has given up etc. He’s continued to work hard and thankfully got reward this week. I hope he sees out the season on a high.

Next round can’t come quick enough.

rubes is a good word

Now I’m interested to know what AFL team Bacchus played for.

Now I'm interested to know what AFL team Bacchus played for.

University

Now I'm interested to know what AFL team Bacchus played for.

University