#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Correct - opposition sides still might think, why try and knock 5-10% off Heppell or Zerrett’s influence when they know they can possibly take out 70-80% of Zakka’s influence.

because Hepp or Zerrett off the leash is far more damaging that Zakka off the leash.

2 Likes

Although Zakka off the leash is arguably just as dangerous. When he has massive games we normally win. When he’s on, he hurts and he kicks goals. One of a handful of players you could genuinely say are a barometer for us.

1 Like

I still think opposition teams’ default position will be to tag Hepp/Zerret first, then reassess should Zakka be having a blinder. The first two are far more consistent at performing at a higher level.

I think if zaka is allowed to roam somewhere between HF and the centre square he’ll be one of our most dangerous players. I don’t think he should go anywhere near the hb line, reckon he is too dangerous around goals and can place the ball well for the other forwards to push him back down the ground too much.

2 Likes

Zaka is easily our most dangerous mid, His best is match winning hence the tag he cops.

For some reason Zac was only tagged on one or two occasions in 2016 - Was tagged on Anzac Day which diluted his influence and from memory on one other occasion which was unsuccessful.

really?

I don’t even know if we are talking about Zaharakis or Zerrett.

Zerrett - 9 times out of 10 it was Zaharakis who got the tag.

Again, people need to stop kidding themselves by thinking that having the others back will mean he gets off the leash. Taat’s not what happens, that never happens with him. He’ll have some good games mixed in with some “where the hell was he for a third of the game?” matches. He gets lazier, disappears for 20 minute periods and you only remember he’s playing thanks to the quick snaps from a handball. Disappointing for a guy that has his talent and has already dropped down the pecking order to our 4/5/6th best midfielder and behind even second year players. Even Langford got more involved in the midfield.

We need him bad Round 1, and the good Zaka not the second half of 2016 or JLT series lazy Zaka who goes missing for 70% of the game.

Was one of the better players today I thought.

1 Like

Really? Wow I was at the game and he flashed in and out and went missing went the heat was on. Maybe the magic of TV made him make more contributions. He wasn’t alone, I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, I think his game today is going to be more of an indication of the types of games we should expect from him moving forward. 20 or so touches, a few inside 50’s. Is not, and will not ever be our top mid, nor should we expect those sort of numbers from him.

He was good in the clearances today though.

2015: Oh boy Zaharakis would be tasty trade bait
2016: We should trade Zaharakis
2017: I wonder if anyone would take Zaharakis?

4 Likes

I thought he was ok. not good though.

Tackled well but doesn’t seem to go hard at the ball enough, seems to want to wait for the bounce rather than take it on the full.

Zaharakis must be one of the few players on our list that has expectations downplayed consistently, like all the time.
“oh it’s okay he didn’t do anything because he cops a tag”. No, it’s not.
“it’s okay with Hepp, Watson & Zerrett he’ll be unleashed!”. No, he doesn’t.
“Look it’s okay he’s had a mediocre month, he was BOG before that okay?” Yeah, okay then.

“Oh he played that game where he was BOG and got over 30 touches? Well I guess we could expect that on a semi-regular basis…if that’s what you’re looking for…I much prefer my midfielders to show that kind of game once every month…if that. Like how all the best teams have for their midfielders.”

2 Likes

If Zaka is happy taking a backseat to the returned players, he’ll be a liability. This is his time to step up and become a weapon. Didn’t do it yesterday, but we’ll see what he does when it’s real.

1 Like

If everyone is hoping that he will somehow become a 28-30 possession player a game who kicks 1.5 goals a game then you will be utterly disappointed.

It’s time to set expectations vs reality with Zaka.

He is not one of our elite mids, and he won’t become one of our elite mids. And that is ok…

3 Likes

He was one of our better players in the last practice game.