#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Fought hard in the third. And needed to.

1 Like

Not good.

A couple of shocking kicks and one where he could have gone harder, but apart from that he was OK

3 Likes

Did improve after halftime.

1 Like

A few contests where he really didn’t go as hard as he should have. If he’s going to do that, he’s really got to be spreading and linking up play a lot more than he currently is.

I thought he was good when moved to the forward line at the start of the 3rd. I think he is more of a HFF than midfielder. Essentially anywhere but defence where he is prone to brain fades.

Is not a contested ball winner and will never be a contested ball winner… so use him on the outside and deal with it.

3 Likes

Backed off a couple of contests when he should have gone harder, and some uncharacteristic skill errors made him a liability up to half time. Really poor, and I think he knew it.

Better in the second half. Reckon he’s the type who agonises over his failings and will come out steaming next week. Hope so. Certainly needs to be spoken to about some of his first half efforts.

1 Like

On thin ice.

Watching the replay, after half time Zaka has been very good and did a lot of 1%ers that probably went unnoticed live.

Had a 'mare in the first but improved late.

Yep. He did improve, but for a guy with his ability we really should start to see this fabled “watch him slice up teams when he’s behind Zach Darcy Jobe Heppell”.

Need more from him.

3 Likes

I’ve watched the game 3 times now and thought he was really good. We couldn’t have won it without him.
He made a few mistakes but so did everyone, picking on Zaka’s game is a joke.

5 Likes

That first half was genuinely shocking. That squib was almost unforgivable, the entire stadium erupted. He cost us 3 goals that I counted through poor turnovers or squibs and looked lost. We don’t need him to be a Selwood but those squibs weren’t AFL level, you rarely see that these days. He had a better second half to his credit, did some nice things, but overall he really needs to lift his game. I think he’ll know he can do a lot better than that. We have some midfielders in the seconds that would be pressuring him for a spot so hopefully he comes back next week and learns from it.

3 Likes

yep. needs to get more of the pill

If Howlett in the VFL was that good I’d still drop Zaka for him. Zaka’s been around for too long to serve up that first half, no matter how well he turned it around.

When exactly did these horrific squibs occur?

One he was receiving a handball 20m out dead in front and had to snap a reasonably easy goal. He sensed an incoming tackle and promptly dropped the ball.

Another just before that he was closest to the loose ball and the Hawthorn player charged through and claimed possession as Zaha omitted to attack the footy.

Can’t give you timestamps sorry

1 Like

Marking contest he should have affected instead he pulled out

2nd quarter about 40 seconds left

Give him a chance. Just went from #1 to #6 mid.

1 Like