#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Last nights game might not get repeated terribly often, everything can’t be expected to fall into place that often. But, it did suggest to me a plan and execution that should make us hard to play against. Whenever port got the ball we set a very effecitve zone, everyone knew where they should be and multiple players could be seen communicating to each other about where to run to even the grid out to avoid holes. It took perfect kicks to get through, and they only pulled it off occasionally and usually bogged down after one good pass. Zaka seems like one who organises this behind the play more than most. Always deliberately running to a spot behind the ball and making our grid even. Pushing guys to better spots , like Goddard and Watson. There was one long shot down the ground where you could see the grid settle and when the switch was made they all moved across like some synchronised swimming troupe. Once we win it, the multiple options overlap running Makes us hard to defend- when we get it right. In perfect Etihad conditions we should get it right fairly often . zaka is very good at reading the chain and made several runs to get to the best receive position, and usually got it, in the second half. The beauty is that if any opponent goes with him, with so many options we can go elsewhere, or the carrier just takes a bounce. This is very different to last year. I think when we get really pressured turnovers can hurt us though, and wet conditions might make that more likely. Then, with lots of guys streaming forward, we could get zapped in transition. I thought zaka’s running both ways last night in maintaining our shape behind the footy, and finishing when we won it, was exceptional.

One of the reasons we got it was how often they won first possession (wines was very often first to the pill) and we tackled/spilled/bumped it off them. Zaka laid 11, and they were important.

Let’s hope for dry settled weather in September.

6 Likes

Ran both ways and was incredible, this is the player we all knew he could be. Chase down tackles and being the link man running from HB. Was one of our best mids and if he can get back his i50 kicking and shots on goal which used to be his trademark can get even better

1 Like

I thought he was fantastic running through the middle and his pace was fantastic. That core group of quick players that provides run and carry at speed is hard to match up on.

Been really impressed how he has turned his performance around completely. This is the player we wanted and knew he could be, this is why its been so frustrating to see his pedestrian-like performances > 4 weeks ago. Hope he can keep it going. He gets 20-25 touches, we win more often than not.

Was better than the stats presented on Saturday. Was sublime when he took the ball on the HBF ran it forward, waited for the play to unfold ahead of him and then delivered to where HE wanted JoeDan to lead.

He was quiet early but was still OK, cracking in hard and chasing well etc.

9 running bounces, wow.

Thought he played well, and I tend to think we look a lot better when he plays well…

2 Likes

Still in ripping form :thumbsup:

He is a gun sign him up. Need more running bounces !!!

1 Like

I take it back. I’d rather be worrying about his form than having to witness the most pure of pure Essington performances again.

one of the few in the 1st half smart enough to play to the conditions and use the ball well.

1 Like

Has been a lot better than our other experienced mids.

2 Likes

He was awesome again tonight with his powerful running. Wish he could find his kicking skills.

1 Like

Thought he was great. Working hard and is playing with maturity. That goal was clutch.

Actually thought that was his best game of the year, did some contested work and was hitting targets.

Understand his contract extension is close to being done.

8 Likes

I thought his kicking was excellent. Coughed it up once long to a swans player when he was waiting for someone to present and no-one did. Hit a lot of targets otherwise setting some up for shots…

He’s doing the hard stuff too. You can tell it doesn’t come naturally to him and he has to will himself to do it which makes it even better. Like.

1 Like

I’d be assuming it’d be a nice contract considering the form he is in at the moment?

Not that I’m worried but any news on Joe?