#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Why is it that some supporters need a player to pillory?

First one I remember was Kevin Walsh, and since then many have been burnt by so-called fans.

Zaka is a Club Champion
, had a great first part of the season, and while his past weeks form fell off, he was still up in the top players.

Some of you need to get a new scapegoat.

he is?

2011 Crichton Medal, and you call yourself an Essendon supporter?

i do, and i disagree with your assessment.

First one I remember was Kevin Walsh, and since then many have been burnt by so-called fans.

Zaka is a Club Champion, had a great first part of the season, and while his past weeks form fell off, he was still up in the top players.

This reminds me so much of the Stanton thread a few years back its not funny. Quality player. Had a rough patch with a lot of attention. It happens. People seem to have gotten stuck into him for (while copping the hardest tags) not going as well as someone not generally tagged that everyone thinks could win a Brownlow. Sheesh.

Zaka is a Club Champion, had a great first part of the season, and while his past weeks form fell off, he was still up in the top players.

Serious question, are people allowed to make criticism if it’s deserved? Heaven forbid a player doesn’t perform for an extended period and we question his place in the side. He’s been rubbish for 10 weeks. There was no “maybe” or “he was good in bits” about it, pure rubbish. One good performance doesn’t make a “aww yeah, told you!”. I nor the club shouldn’t accept mediocrity and I don’t want to have another 15 years of nothingness and Essington. I don’t want a Melbourne-esque culture of backslapping and high-fiving each other just because they wear the shirt, and being overly zealous in the defence of any and every player just because. If having players gather 5 possessions in 3 quarters regulary is something that is applauded then I can’t wait for the next 20 years of Essington. Have we really let standards slip so far in 10 years? Zaka himself said he was playing tripe, we don’t need fanatics coming to his rescue.

And on the bolded part you need to hold up a second , he’s been deplorable for the past 10 weeks and was nowhere even near the top few. I know he was really good today but that doesn’t make everything rosy for the past few months. And no, just because I point out a player hasn’t been performing doesn’t mean I don’t love them as a player at their best or want them to not succeed. See that’s where

Oh and no he’s not a club champion, nowhere near. Yes he won a best and fairest so technically if you’re talking about that then yes, buy if you’re talking about being an Essendon champ in the playing sense then I wouldn’t have rated him ANYWHERE near anything than a good above average player in some years. I hope he keeps this form up next week and next year. If he plays like today every week next year then I’m going to tip us for finals. That’s how good he is and that’s how much I rate him at his best. And that’s why we get frustrated, because at his best he’s so ■■■■■■ good.

He deserved the criticism in past weeks just as much as he deserves praise this week.

And in fairness to him, there are a heap of guys who also didn’t get tagged this week, but didn’t also get 40 touches.

He was BOG and surprise surprise, we win.

I’m happy for him, and I hope he comes home strong.

Zaka was awesome but his issue isn’t that he can’t play.

Zaka was awesome but his issue isn't that he can't play.

Or, surprise surprise, that he was injured.

Zaka had a crap patch no doubt, but this 10 weeks bullshit is an exaggeration. Have a ■■■■■■■ closer look

Point is, if you win the Crichton, you are Club Champion for that season/year, end of story.

Let it go.

When he does it with a tag, even 20+ meaningful possesions then il be impressed. Everyone knows what he's capable of when left unattended and it was fkg idiotic of eade not to lock down on him after quarter time. Yesterday just proves what we already know, his best is very good. Put up that kinda effort or even something close to that when we're losing badly and your getting tagged, thats what we wanna see

B-B-B-B-B-B-but eades said he tried to tag zaka and it d-d-d-d-d-d-didn’t work…

bullshit eades, you done sweet ■■■■ all at the easiest step to preventing an essendon win.

Zaka had a crap patch no doubt, but this 10 weeks bullshit is an exaggeration. Have a ■■■■■■■ closer look

11 weeks?

Serious question, are people allowed to make criticism if it’s deserved? Heaven forbid a player doesn’t perform for an extended period and we question his place in the side. He’s been rubbish for 10 weeks. There was no “maybe” or “he was good in bits” about it, pure rubbish. One good performance doesn’t make a “aww yeah, told you!”. I nor the club shouldn’t accept mediocrity and I don’t want to have another 15 years of nothingness and Essington. I don’t want a Melbourne-esque culture of backslapping and high-fiving each other just because they wear the shirt, and being overly zealous in the defence of any and every player just because. If having players gather 5 possessions in 3 quarters regulary is something that is applauded then I can’t wait for the next 20 years of Essington. Have we really let standards slip so far in 10 years? Zaka himself said he was playing tripe, we don’t need fanatics coming to his rescue.

And on the bolded part you need to hold up a second , he’s been deplorable for the past 10 weeks and was nowhere even near the top few. I know he was really good today but that doesn’t make everything rosy for the past few months. And no, just because I point out a player hasn’t been performing doesn’t mean I don’t love them as a player at their best or want them to not succeed. See that’s where

Oh and no he’s not a club champion, nowhere near. Yes he won a best and fairest so technically if you’re talking about that then yes, buy if you’re talking about being an Essendon champ in the playing sense then I wouldn’t have rated him ANYWHERE near anything than a good above average player in some years. I hope he keeps this form up next week and next year. If he plays like today every week next year then I’m going to tip us for finals. That’s how good he is and that’s how much I rate him at his best. And that’s why we get frustrated, because at his best he’s so ■■■■■■ good.

well you definately cannot be an essendon supporter.

/sarcastica/

“If it’s deserved… No maybe or he was good in bits about it… Pure rubbish”.

See that’s where you need to be careful. No doubt Zaka has been down on form. He has said so. He’s working through it. It happens. But in the last “10 weeks”, he’s had games of 40, 33,30 and 25 possessions. Leave out this weekend? Ok, take out a 40 pos game and switch in a 31.

Now, pure possession numbers aren’t all, but if you call that “pure rubbish” you can go barrack for Richmond, they’ve got Ty Vickery to keep you amused. He’s also had 46 tackles over 10 weeks. Not sure if that’s a club high but it wouldn’t be off it by much.

You are right, one good performance does not make “I told you so”. But neither does a rough 6 games make 10 weeks of pure rubbish. And in a moment of triumph it is at best churlish to even mention his down patch. I’d hate to hear you give a wedding speech or send off a workmate…

I’m sure the club is happy for you to set the standard for Zaka to meet, how noble. Without that I’m sure neither they nor he were onto the fact that he needed to get more of the pill. And mate, no ones been celebrating or high fiving after his down games. We’re just not tossing the toys out of the cot.

The groundswell of abuse Stants had to put up with was disturbing; thankfully (but no thanks to those who dished out, including plenty who justified their criticisms on here) Stants came through it and played some - more - great footy. I’m not saying anyone needs to clap a bad game but a bit of holding back before vomiting out comments like ‘pea heart’ and ‘take a decent trade and run’ wouldn’t go astray. In this of all years I would reckon erring a little on the side of loyalty of support to anyone wearing the red and black, even if they are falling short in their endeavours, ain’t a bad thing…

Google “it is not the critic who counts”, and have a read.

Why is it that people can’t tell the difference between criticising one of our club’s players, and slagging them off as if they were scum of the earth? It’s bad enough calling opposition players ‘rubbish’, ‘cowards’, ‘potato’ etc - often put into that forgiving box labelled ‘banter’ by keyboard warriors. But when it comes to our own players - well, you can just fark right off if you think that is ‘criticism’. It’s not - it’s cheap, unintelligent, childish name-calling.

Keyboard warriors spudz.

“If it’s deserved… No maybe or he was good in bits about it… Pure rubbish”.

See that’s where you need to be careful. No doubt Zaka has been down on form. He has said so. He’s working through it. It happens. But in the last “10 weeks”, he’s had games of 40, 33,30 and 25 possessions. Leave out this weekend? Ok, take out a 40 pos game and switch in a 31.

Now, pure possession numbers aren’t all, but if you call that “pure rubbish” you can go barrack for Richmond, they’ve got Ty Vickery to keep you amused. He’s also had 46 tackles over 10 weeks. Not sure if that’s a club high but it wouldn’t be off it by much.

You are right, one good performance does not make “I told you so”. But neither does a rough 6 games make 10 weeks of pure rubbish. And in a moment of triumph it is at best churlish to even mention his down patch. I’d hate to hear you give a wedding speech or send off a workmate…

I’m sure the club is happy for you to set the standard for Zaka to meet, how noble. Without that I’m sure neither they nor he were onto the fact that he needed to get more of the pill. And mate, no ones been celebrating or high fiving after his down games. We’re just not tossing the toys out of the cot.

The groundswell of abuse Stants had to put up with was disturbing; thankfully (but no thanks to those who dished out, including plenty who justified their criticisms on here) Stants came through it and played some - more - great footy. I’m not saying anyone needs to clap a bad game but a bit of holding back before vomiting out comments like ‘pea heart’ and ‘take a decent trade and run’ wouldn’t go astray. In this of all years I would reckon erring a little on the side of loyalty of support to anyone wearing the red and black, even if they are falling short in their endeavours, ain’t a bad thing…

Google “it is not the critic who counts”, and have a read.

dave pls

Well Crazybomber, Zaka has not been rubbish or deplorable for the past ten weeks. He has not been BOG, but continues to deserve his place in the team.

And winning a Critchton automatically makes you Club Champion.

You have the right to get frustrated, but you don’t have the right to state some of the ■■■■■ that you and others have been saying about Zaka, Stanton, Dempsey, Bolton, Walsh, and many others over the years. What the fark have you ever done on a footy field?

Well Crazybomber, Zaka has not been rubbish or deplorable for the past ten weeks. He has not been BOG, but continues to deserve his place in the team.

And winning a Critchton automatically makes you Club Champion.

You have the right to get frustrated, but you don’t have the right to state some of the ■■■■■ that you and others have been saying about Zaka, Stanton, Dempsey, Bolton, Walsh, and many others over the years. What the fark have you ever done on a footy field?

Or, if you think you do - shut up and take it when it comes back at you.

Doubtful.

Zerrett total tackles 125 with an avg of 6.25
Bird 104 avg of 6.5 (Bird also had 9 tackles this last game - awesome)
Zaka 86 avg 4.5

3rd best tackler in the team and his total so far is two shy of his best season (2011 with 88 total) which he should beat.

What that does tell us is that Zerrett is a BEAST and Bird is more than handy.