#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

M Bates, A Graco and J May spring to mind.
A couple of others in B Pirouet and S Barclay weren’t much chop either, but lasted longer.

I agree we had some great players but they’d stagnated and Tuddy rejuvenated quite a few in 1972, like Noonan, Close, Blethyn, gave Fields, Roberts and Cassin a good run.

But martinets like Tuddy have a limited span. And he alienated Barry Davis.

I think Essendon should put contract talks on hold until the end of the year.

Yep Mick Bates, Allan Graco and some others were average reserves players, but the team was as soft as butter that year.

Tuddy changed that and the young hard nuts like Kenny Roberts and Gary Parkes blossomed.

Why would you be shouted down? Most on here would agree with you.

I and I think Rioli said 2 years ago we should trade him, would have got a 1st round pick easily for him.

Now I would take anything within the top 30 at best.

Don’t forget me

Isn’t Ben Doolan Stockbroker the real hipster of this conversation?

4 Likes

The one effort that ■■■■■■ me off was in the Brisbane game. The lose ball was in the middle ground and pulled out of the contest as soon as 2 Brisbane players came in his vicinity i was losing it and calling him a soft ■■■■.

Was probably thinking Anzac Day in his head lols

Was right in front of that. Pretty much was the last roll of the dice for us if we were any chance of getting past them. Unbelievable.

Trade.

For a first round pick.

If we were going to trade him, we should of done it last season, we would of got an early 20’s pick i reckon.

If he had never kicked that goal on anzac day his career would look a hell of a lot different

1 Like

I thought the idea was you wait till they can’t get a game and then package them with someone else that can’t get a game.

2 Likes

No silly, everyone knows you package them up with a useless pick that nobody wants to really increase the trade potential.

1 Like

It’s that sort of pathetic reasoning which has made us such a ■■■■ team for the last 14 years!

I am pretty sure that is how it is done. :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Agree he was poor. A game or two in the twos wouldn’t hurt. Hopefully will light a fire under him.

Been calling for him to get into the 2s for ages, never seems to make it that far.

We just need to accept the fact he will never be a B-grade mid and we won’t trade him.

I started following Essendon in 1954 after I pulled out Bill Hutchison footy card from Kornies breakfast box. From that day onwards I have followed the Bombers in good times and bad times. I collected a lot footy cards in those days and donated them to the Essendon museum or Hall of Fame. I dont know what happened to the cards after they closed down the museum and left Windy Hill. My first match I saw in 1957 against Melbourne. Melbourne thrashed us and if I remember rightly a player Stan Booth was our best player that day. Back on David Zaharakis he played poorly like most of his team mates and must be near being dropped to the Maggoos.

3 Likes

Used to love that wall of cards when I was a kid. Sad that the museum left Windy Hill, despite the club moving to bigger and better things that place needs some rejuvenation for mine. Can’t let such a crucial part of our history rot like it is or end up like Upton Park - bulldozed for a fkn housing estate.

2 Likes

First game I went to. We sat on the southern wing and I buggered up my schnozz climbing around the seats. Had it cauterised in the 80’s but it still bleeds a lot.

I know we got smacked but i don’t remember many games before 1959.

We donated my brother’s collection of bound Footy Records from 1959-1994 to the museum. I assume it’s out at Tulla.

Or on eBay…

Bye bye. Minimum 2 weeks in the 2’s