#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

I think weve gotten better with it having Woosha at the helm. The end of 2015 had us finally get rid of the massive glut of players we had that couldnt perform consistently at senior level. browne, dalgleish, o’brien, KAV, Stein etc.

Bang on.

Zaka has plateaued and he’ll have patches of good form here and there but ultimately, I don’t think we can depend on him to stand up when it matters any more.

We can wait another year or two when he won’t have any trade value or we can take the plunge now.

We are.

1 Like

I’m sure you are 100% correct.

It’s just me, but I’m struggling to see how with the returning players like Hooker and Hurley taking a bigger chunk.

The returning players were planned for.

Goddard and Zaka’s contracts end this year and would both have been fairly lucrative. We’ve got a lot of players on draftee/rookie elevation type minimum contracts (around 15 my count) so we could well be under the cap this year, and you can carry up to 5% of underpaid cap into the following year. With a new CBA coming this year that could translate in to a lot of extra money next year. Quite a few of the returning players are on one year contracts/extensions.

That’s without knowing what the front/back loading on the various contracts look like, and on top of all that we don’t actually know how much any of our players are earning. The Hooker deal got reported as $700k/year but who knows for sure? Who knows if Heppell’s agent wrung us dry, or Heppell was willing to take a more modest contract.

The cap position of any club in the league at any given point is basically a mystery. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had monster contract money available, I wouldn’t be surprised if we were pinched for cash.

1 Like

Frustrating player who has the attributes to be ellite, but for what ever reason is still an inconsistent footballer. He is the ultimate player for the modern game. Showed last year he can play inside and outside just as well. Why the fark is he so inconsistent though?

he is still a valuable player to the side. Plus has always loved and barracked for the Bombers as a kid. But I hope we are not offering to much to keep him, he has had long enough now and should be at the peak of his career, I think he is as good as he is going to get. If we get a good offer I think we should let him go.

1 Like

Would take a pick in the 20s in a hot second, could be good for him aswell.

1 Like

The last time we won Anzac day, this guy won the medal after 34 touches and 4 goals. The time we won before that, he kicked the famous sealer.

Whipping boy or not, trade bait or not, we need this guy up and about this week. If he is only going to be remembered as the Anzac Day guy, then he should go all in on that title.

7 Likes

Monfries said it in an interview. not me… FWIW I actually liked AM.
IIRC - it was an interview together with Tim Watson - an item they did together where TW is passing on the heritage to the next generation. Very well could have been as a promo or halftime piece of an ESS v Hawks match.

Zaka’s Diaries…

Good for a 9 year, $8 million contract.

Not everyone can have the efficiency of Zach Merret

GET HIM OUT OF THE TEAM

ABSOLUTE ■■■■■

Sorry not a game for the ,um, fluffy type

Huh? Has backed his body into the hole multiple times today.

9 Likes

It’s Really started well last year, dropped off once he was tagged.

I understand why he isn’t in the leadership group, doesn’t take on the game enough, tends to stand back when it’s his time to go, this I don’t like seeing in todays players. For such an athlete I’d like him to use this more as it is his strength with better 2 way running.

Still like to use him in the forward line, would be a hard match up. Perhaps in his later years

He like Stanton are passengers

1 Like

Jesus…

if he’s nicname isn’t butter jellyfish I’ll go jump.

I don’t know how a professional football player can last as long as he has, when he just coughs up the ball so easily whenever the slightest bit of contact or pressure comes his way.

People joke about “essington” he is the epitome of it.

2 Likes

Not long until he gets dropped. Should be sooner but he has runs on the board especially against Melbourne.