#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Watching live I thought he was almost our worst… watching the replay he was a little better than I gave him credit for but not much.

5 Likes

Pretty much how I feel.

He needs a stint in the vfl

I reckon he was in our bottom 6. Almost everyone was pretty good, DZ was just OK.
I feel they’re moving all our outside midfielders around a bit more than previous years. Stanton started the year back has bobbed forward, Parish started inside mid today, Zaha was back for a while today.

He did go a little harder at the contest today on occasion so I guess that’s something

after the crowd went fkg nuts @ him.

1 Like

Yep, didn’t start too well, but the ball just wasn’t coming out to him, (or anybody else really) for most of the game, so he couldn’t fill the o/side runner role like he’d like.

But then in the 2nd half, it was like he just said fk, I’ve had enough of this, and put himself in at contests and hit guys like I haven’t seen for a while. He completely changed his game, … or Woosh said it’s not working how we want, and told him to up the ante phisically.

Whatever it was, it was a very different Zakka after HT, and as Dave said, he put himself in the hole many times and showed a fair bit of moxy to get a pass mark at the least today.

Except for that kick for goal which looked like it was going to be a Zakka A Day special, and went off the side & OOB. (Bugger it, it would have been a ripper)

3 Likes

Yep, I thought he did. He wasn’t that clean with his disposal though, and that’s his advantage.

Agree. Has had a tendency to bail with the ball in a contest. Went as hard as I’ve seen him in quite a while.

His last quarter was very good!

Even when he wills himself to go hard at one or two his disposal suffers because he hates taking the hit.

And yes, I would be twice as worried.

1 Like

But…but, just you wait till he has the returning players around him!

2 Likes

Needs to go back into centre square rotations more often.

When he has the responsibility put on him he lifts. When he doesn’t he just coasts.

3 Likes

He was pretty lousy. I love the guy, but he hasn’t shown much of anything in 5 games. Yesterday the disposals were poor - short, off-target, not to advantage.

Someone else should get a run, but I can see why others might get rested and he keeps his spot for now.

At the game, I barely noticed him.
Had one courageous act of in the second quarter but rarely noticed afterwards.

Not sure I’d drop him for next week’s game. If he’s fit, he plays. Other who are unfit (I.e. Stants, Jobe, Hooker, Bags, etc.) are just ahead of him.

In the grand scheme of things, he has to be dropped if he keeps playing the way he is.

No, he doesn’t.

Sorry, I know he goes harder in the middle and that may be because he thinks the spotlight is on him or there are less bodies flying in from everywhere but he simply isn’t that good of a clearance player.

He doesn’t really use his pace much around packs to play the inside receiver type role and he doesn’t have the vision, awareness or hands to play inside which is what he tried to do more last year (and that was fine when we had half our midfield missing but isn’t a role he’s made for).

2 Likes

He was a dominant midfielder of the comp for a lot of last year when he was in there. Except the period of being unable to break the tag.

It was basically the Zerrett and Zaka show for our team.

He had to win contested footy as it was his job to and team needed it. And so he did it.

It seems now he content to skirt packs again with others in there being the tractors.

1 Like

Meh, didn’t really rate his use of the football after winning it from clearances. Being an inside mid is hard and quality clearances count for far more in my book that just number of clearances.

As for being a dominant mid, he was good but to be honest I thought he was better simply because he was running harder, going in harder and generally pushing himself to the limit. I thought he looked better around the ground more than his actual clearance work, he tried hard but I can’t remember a single time I went “wow” at one of his clearances which is what I would be looking for from a guy who deserves more centre square time.

Of course this isn’t to say more time in the centre wouldn’t bring him in to the game, I’d just prefer guys who I think would be more dangerous with possession in those instances.

nope sorry. First half was putrid, deplorable footy, hardly got near it, hardly got involved, and ‘the ball just didint come to him’ gotta be the biggest cop out for a midfielder, even colyer/ tippa/ orazio all got involved despite the fact that they are more outside than zaharakis… they made the ball come for them they got to the spots they needed to be and made use of the footy when they did have it

he did get a bit more involved later on, absolutely true, but the thing is that getting involved, putting yourself in the hole, showing ‘moxy’ is what they should be going day in, day out, and for zaharakis doing all the above is becoming more of the exception to the soft footy rule that he is going by now

he has been ousted as the midfielder who can play inside but provide outside run by parish and dare i say it but already mcgrath, has been ousted by orazio/ tippa/ colyer as pure outside midfielders/ forwards, and just isnt hard enough to compete with the big boys in the middle… he is very quickly becoming superseded… the midfield is now quite exceptional in all the areas you could consider a strength of his, but he’s had no input in making it exceptional.

long winded way of saying he is done. 100% cooked. wont be here next season.

How much are you willing to put on that??

1 Like

If a side offers a 2nd Rounder around the 26-32 mark, we should take it !

1 Like