#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

I don’t think it’s as simple as “our game clicked and Zaharakis who has been working hard all year benefited”. A wingmans ability to get the ball are impacted by

1. work rate
  2. running to the right areas
  3. our inside players winning a fair amount of the ball and giving it to our wingman

We were hammered in centre clearances and stoppage clearances last night -19. We were beaten in contested possessions across the ground. Yet our uncontested possessions and tackles were well up, to me that points largely to workrate (however I’m sure it’s more nuanced than that).

3 Likes

Agree. He only really plays well when we win. Very rarely does he play well when we are losing. So yes, he relies on the hard work of his team mates to play well.

Such is a link man’s lot.

Weren’t far off. Geez the distance bw his best and worst…

This is the game that’ll keep him in the side for the rest of the year. He is bang on average… one good game in six.

2 Likes

Points 1 and 2 are basically footy in a nutshell these days.

Fair enough, I guess my point was if your reasonably reliant on people giving you the ball you have to spend a huge portion of the game on your bike, presenting good options.

Oh, for sure. Not having a chip - although it does read that way. Point is - I agree with you.

1 Like

Last night appears not to just wait for the ball outside. Went to the right spots, but also went in as hard as i have seen for quite a while. Did all the right things to get into the game. About three or four times in the first quarter alone i had to look twice and say wow zakas back.

Either had a rocket during the week or had a self realisation of his efforts and out put last year as opposed to this year.

Damaging player when on his game, proved that. Now we just need consistency.

Well done Zaka, keep bringing it.

PS: Also could have been playing with a niggle or the wrong headspace. Never know.

1 Like

If he plays like that every week we will be extremely tough to beat. Up and going his is seriously damaging, and we saw that last night.

I think with the returning players he was struggling to find his role, last year he was the main guy, now what is he? Hopefully now he has found it he can use this as a platform for the rest of the year.

Interesting that he mentioned having a chat with Hurls, I reackon that would have been the one that sank in the most.

Yeah nah.

If that was the case he would have smashed it in the first two games as well when the team played pretty good too.

The team played well, he worked harder. And for mine his role last year was completely different, many were saying he was actually going in to get the ball more (inside/outside) which a link man doesn’t do. He was front and center and stepped up last year, before he got taken out mostly later.

Spare us the I told you so routine on this one. It’s almost as bad as some other posters.

1 Like

Fantastic game, he’s always been capable of games like this,What the issue is, is what he does the next month. What frustrates everyone is he won’t get near it the next three weeks,he really needs to find some consistency

He was great last night. His first half was the best footy he’s played in 3 years

2 Likes

Not entirely sure about that.

Most seem to have made the observation that his form has been well down for weeks.

A couple of quotes in the article below also suggest both coach and player believed his form was actually an issue.

Irrespective, games like last nights are what everyone wants to see from him because when he is on like that we are a much better team.

At the same time though, reality is at 27 years old the odds are he is at the ‘known quantity’ stage rather than ‘full of potential’ stage.

The honest conversations that helped David Zaharakis escape from 2017 form slump

Ben Waterworth
May 14, 2017 12:07am
BEN WATERWORTH@bjwaterworth
Source: FOX SPORTS

DAVID Zaharakis didn’t need any reminders from anyone.

By his own admission, the Essendon midfielder was desperately out of form across the first two months of the 2017 season, racking up 20 touches or less in six of the club’s first seven games.

But some raw heart-to-heart conversations at the club’s Tullamarine headquarters during the week, as well as specific focuses at training, helped the out-of-contract Zaharakis eliminate the “self-doubt” that threatened to curtail his footy career.

Zaharakis was one of the best and most influential players on the ground on Saturday night, finishing with a season-high 31 disposals to help the Bombers cause an upset win over Geelong at Etihad Stadium.

A croaky and sore Zaharakis — he copped a high fend in the throat from Cats skipper Joel Selwood in the second term — admitted post-game he was under no illusions about his recent form heading into Saturday night’s clash.

“To be honest, I don’t open the paper or don’t watch any footy shows,” Zaharakis told foxfooty.com.au.

“I just knew myself I wasn’t playing good footy and I didn’t need to listen to anyone from the outside.

“Whether you’re playing at your best or you’re not individually, you need to be contributing for the team somehow — and that’s what I wasn’t doing.”

Joel Selwood left David Zaharakis sore in the throat after this fend in the second term. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Joel Selwood left David Zaharakis sore in the throat after this fend in the second term. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Source: News Corp Australia
As the outside world questioned Zaharakis’ place in the Essendon starting line-up and the man himself began to doubt his footy ability, Bombers players and coaches quickly wrapped their arms around the out-of-form on-baller.

And, in Zaharakis’ words, “it paid dividends” on Saturday night.

“‘Hurls’ (Michael Hurley) is my good mate and we had a good chat, Jobe (Watson) has been great with me, even young guys like Zach (Merrett) and Dys (Hepell) are great — they gave me that reassurance I still can play. That self-doubt, they just took it out of my head,” Zaharakis said.

“The boys have been really supportive, so have the coaches over the last couple of weeks. I know I haven’t been playing my best footy, so it’s good to get reassurance from them that they trust that I can produce some good footy and it was good to repay the favour tonight.”

The 27-year-old was electric on the outside for the Bombers on Saturday night, finishing with game-high uncontested possessions (25) and handball receives (17) to go with seven marks, five inside 50s and 411m gained.

As well as seeking advice from people that mattered most to him, Zaharakis said he “did a few different things” at training in the lead up to the Cats clash in an attempt to play himself back into form.

“It’s no use doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different result, which is probably what I was doing over the last three weeks,” Zaharakis said.

David Zaharakis finished with 31 touches against Geelong.
David Zaharakis finished with 31 touches against Geelong.
Source: AAP
“I changed it up a little bit, changed a few things, did more work on the track and it paid off.

“I’ve been playing wing a lot, so it was more just focusing on how I can impact in that role. Last year I played a lot more inside with the guys missing and this year it’s been a lot more in the wing.

“I had a big talk with the coaches about how I can play that wing role a lot better and it’s helped me reap the rewards (on Saturday night), so hopefully that can continue.”

Bombers coach John Worsfold said Zaharakis’ increased output on the field on Saturday night inspired his teammates to step up.

“He was certainly aware and disappointed in his form over the last few weeks. He narrowed his focus about what his strengths are and what he can bring to the team,” Worsfold said post-game.

“I thought he was outstanding. He set the tone for us in terms of his improvement and how we want him to play early.”

The Bombers produced a stunning first half to set up their win over Geelong, which takes their win-loss ratio to 4-4.

While the Cats came with a surge in the final term — Geelong outscored Essendon by 23 points during the fourth quarter — Zaharakis was pleased that his side managed to hold on.

“We knew they’d come strong in the second half. But we held on quite well in that third quarter and still played the way we wanted to play,” he said.

“The last quarter was a flurry early, but it was good we had the resilience to hold it and get a few goals back ourselves and continue to play footy rather than go into our shells.”

3 Likes

Opposition pressure was non-existent. cats tackling numbers very very poor hence we were able to get the ball out to outside players more cleanly and in space.

I recall Jerrett having 37 possessions when Blues were playing like witches hats that day.

Challenge for Zaka is to involve himself more when heat is on. Not just when we have it easy which we did last night.

4 Likes

Well Done Zaka. Great game, bomber fans are behind you all the way.

2 Likes

‘…to help the Bombers cause an upset win over Geelong at Etihad Stadium’

LOL

Please sir, can we have some more.

l have been critical of his lack of efforts this season and called for him to be dropped, three times. This is a decent step in the right direction, but he has been poor and needs to reproduce this form, now that he has established a higher bench-mark for his performances. I hope this is a new beginning for him and he isn’t just flattering to deceive before falling back into his old habits. Somehow l think he has turned the corner and l look forward to a repeat effort against the WEagles to confirm it.

Hope he’s ok didn’t sound too good after the game.

This.

Some of the ■■■■ said here is laughable. Knew coming in here it’d be “one game proves everything else wrong.” But the big factor in last night’s game IMO was that our pressure was fanatical and Geelon’s was poor. Zaha needs to continue to do this in the tougher games. Let’s see.

2 Likes

Played very well last night, doesnt change the fact that he’s played rubbish for the seven games before that
My gripe is about him picking and choosing when he will have a crack
Last night he chose to put his head over it and played a cracker!
If he just goes straight back to shirking and shanking then last night means ■■■■ all