#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Yep. He played well, but that just means everybody should be reminded of the times when he didn’t…

He has copped a nasty barrage on here this year, I reckon talking up his best game is more than fair.

9 Likes

I never know what to think when i read articles like that, wouldnt all p,ayers discuss their form with other players and coaches every week?

Anyway, it was a great game by him, hope he keeps it up. I didnt think he was that bad previosly anyway.

Could also be that the boys knew he was struggling and they made to effort to bring him into the game more/earlier and once his confidence was up the rest took care of itself.

If you believe Future Stars, Zaka was getting an operation on his larynx today. Dunno if Mr Pink was being a bit dramatic in explaining Zaka’s absence from the show.

pretty much it.
we’ve won 4 games.
of those games you could only argue anzac day that the team may not have “clicked” and even then it’s hard to tell cos of the poor disposal and play by both sides.

The other games, the gameplan was pretty much similar to last night.

the only difference is, zaka put his actual body on the line, instead of half arsing his efforts, and the results speak for themselves.

people will tolerate efforts like last night and congratulate him for it, even despite some of his disposal was woeful (to be fair Zerretts was too so i’m not just picking on him).

you work hard, you go in hard and people when it’s your turn, and people are more than willing to accept that.
Don’t and they will point it out.

Has nothing to do with “the gameplan clicking for once”, and all about attitude.

Do we like him again now?

Nothing wrong with calling his game last night what it was - a good game. I’m referring to the inevitable claims that he “stuck it up Blitz” or “proved everyone wrong.” If anything - he proved them right. He is capable of so much more than what he was delivering before.

1 Like

Why do you hate Zaharakis so much?

Seriously though, sometimes player discussion devolves into 2 sides doubling down so far, that both views become ridiculous in their extremes.

Some of the defending arguments have been quite comical (and still continue to be) but some of the anti Zaharakis stuff in here lately has been pretty ■■■■■■ rotten.

And to those people… He did stick it up them. The funny thing is, next time he plays a bad game, it’ll back to ‘he kicked one goal on Anzac Day in 09 and did nothing since.’

My overall point though is… You can say he played a good game without the need for the caveat that his previous games were ordinary.

5 Likes

But, there lies the whole issue with zaharakis, so of course it’s the talking point. Ya can’t be getting 13 touches one week then 31 the next, it’s clearly a workrate thing. the whole consistency thing is what plagues him and drives people insane. If he only had a bad game once a month, no one would care. It’s the point he can go WEEKS stinking it up, play one good game, then wash, rinse, repeat. It’s been happening for 3 years. Get a month of good footy, hell, even just solid footy and no one will bring up the same stuff

Honestly no one hates Zaharakis and only an idiot would say that, we all want him to play like last night a lot more. I don’t think anyone’s been doubling down on anything, most rational people would say that his first 7 weeks for mostly rubbish and below average football, and at the same time I’ve only seen positive stuff in the thread complimenting him on just how good his game was on the weekend. yes some brought up his previous efforts but that was mostly (and logically) saying they hoped he’d have played like that in any of the previous few months. I think BSD is the only poster that trying to convince everyone that “his first 7 games where good he just didn’t get the ball”. I’m sure Stanton’s or Gleeson’s were top notch too, only issue was he didn’t get the ball either but if those few want to think he’s still in good form, then go nuts. Hell even Zaka himself said his form was way down.

The “bring up the previous games stuff” is extremely relevant if you’re discussing the form of a player, otherwise we may as well adopt the the stance of one good game is enough every 2 months of football to get you a game at the Essendon Football Club. If a player is under-performing then yes, he he’ll cop criticism until he performs at the required level for a consistent standard, this is a discussion forum so discussion of individual players may occur from time to time, and if a player is down on form then it’ll be more negative then positive, obviously. One game of football is not enough, he’ll be judged on his year not the one game. Or if people want they can just pretend that he’s been awesome all year. If he can continue a solid month of good football then you won’t have people talking about it.

Now is he gonna be fit for the Eagles or what? It’d be a shame to see him play his first great game of football and then have him miss next week! We need him.

Hey, just out of interest, is this:

In reference to this?

““To be honest, I don’t open the paper or don’t watch any footy shows,” Zaharakis told foxfooty.com.au.”

Newspapers and footy shows would have seemed complimentary compared to this place.

I sincerely hope Zaka’s great game on Saturday night was just that - and not a by-product of the softest Geelong team I have seen in years.

We will find out on Sunday against the Eagles.

It was good to watch Zacca in form again. He was a great contributor and haven’t seen him move so freely in some time.

No news on injury?

Crow said he is fine

thank G-d for that. We’re not half the team without Zaka.
#blitzmode

Lol, right…

1 Like

He certainly played with a much harder edge than his past few weeks. You could see from his attack on the ball, and the man, that he was switched on and wanted to make a statement. He certainly played like the player that blitz believes he is capable of being and not the one that he had been showing us over the past few weeks. He knows he was poor, said so himself. If getting his head straight with some team mates helps him have a cracker then all the better for him and us.

Maybe we need to get someone to punch him in the throat before all games? Watching the game on Sat night I didn’t see the high fend off from Selwood, at the time, so when I was listening to him after the game I thought he must have been having testosterone therapy. He was sounding much more baritone husky than his usual tenor voice. Mrs WP thought he sounded sexier than usual.

Zaka played a really good game against Geelong and he really contested hard which is fantastic to see. Unfortunately Zaka is probably the player most likely to be tagged by West Coast. If that happens he will end up with <15 touches and the Madam Defarges at Blitz will start erecting the guillotine again, especially if the tagger is say, Priddis and he ends up with 25+ disposals.

1 Like

Best on in the first half for mine. Quietened down a touch and picked up a few more late.