#12 Mark Baguley

He’s played so little, I think it’s hard to be sure but I do feel he’s less mobile than Bags.

1 Like

I think it’s another area he has been concentrating on in the pre season and improved in.

2 Likes

lav always has, and always will, tackle to hurt.

Begley would be in the mix - different size, but tough as an old boot and loves a goal.

1 Like

Begley is my preference. Can’t wait for him to get back on the park.

1 Like

Laverde doesn’t have a naturally defensive bone in his body.

Prefers attack.

Doesn’t chase.

If we play two talls and Stringer we may need Laverde to provide another leading/marking option, especially considering Stringer will be spending time up the ground and Brown/Daniher aren’t as effective deep forward.

Laverde did straighten us up a bit in the Carlton game when he was on.

Shane Savage says hello. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To be serious that’s a tad unfair.
As others have mentioned Laverde does have issues with agility and his turning circle.
He’s a strong straight line runner, with a sidestep or two.
He tends to hit contests at 100kph, which is sort of good, but if he misses the ball or tackle, or the ball rebounds, he’s left several metres out of position, and past the play/ contest.
So we’ll see him chasing already having lost 5 metres or so on his man.
Not lack of effort, more a function of how he attacks the contest or player.

I have seen players get smarter at this- learning when not to over commit- so I hope Laverde can also learn this. Would help his defensive game a lot.

5 Likes

He is plenty defensive when played through the middle, tackles to hurt too

COOKED.

So. Farking. Cooked.

Can’t believe people thought he had enough “runs on the board” after delivering an abysmal JLT, to deserve a spot.

3 Likes

Bingo!
I was shocked we even kept him on the list this year.

It’s not like we don’t have any other options to play his role. He is too slow to apply the pressure that he needs to applied in order to be a good defensive forward.

I definitely thought he deserved to play round 1, and I reckon he will play next week too…but unless he kicks 3+ next week, it’s hard to see him holding his spot. He is done, and I’m prepared to say that now and go out on a limb. He is so, so slow, terrible in body positioning and he’s simply too old and moving like someone in a wheelchair now to be applying all that “defensive pressure”

He is taking a younger players spot. Back to the 2s and delist.

1 Like

8 disposals (2 of which were turnovers), 2 tackles, 3 frees against and 0 one percenters. Snagged the one junk time goal when the game was done but THIS is our pressure small forward?

People laughed when I suggested that Laverde should be playing ahead of him, because apparently Lav doesn’t apply any forward pressure at all. Well, if the standard is what Bags dished up yesterday, then FFS give the kid a go - at least there’s some upside there.

Heck, shuffle things around and throw Guelfi up forward if all your wanting is pressure and effort. Bags plays with all the heart in the world but he’ll be gone at the end of this year and we’ve got better, younger options available.

1 Like

I have always agreed that he is not in our best 22 but I reckon a fit Begley should replace him, not Laverde (even though Laverde should get a game this week).

Baguley was poor yesterday but has been a good servant to the club. He is a scrapper so if he is not giving 100% and also giving heaps of free kicks away then he is a liability and a half

2 Likes

Would love Begley back in as well. Lav was the traveling emergency though and should definitely come in this week, IMO.

2 Likes

The forwards rely on others to get them the footy. Least of all small fwds who rely on ball coming to ground from the talls who generally get the ball kicked to them firstly.

Our midfield was attrocious both with ball movement (fumbling, tentative) but also with lack of pressure to get repeat entries.

You’d have hated to be a forward for us on the weekend and all their stats reflect accordingly.

2 Likes

Bring in Mozzie!!

3 Likes