#12 Mark Baguley

Baguley isn’t disgracing himself and is performing to the best of his ability which is AFL level. He did lead the team in goal assists and had basically the same score board impact as Stringer and Fantasia.

I would actually prefer if Begley is made to earn his position in the seniors, and I want him confident, hungry and champing at the bit when he gets his opportunity. Having said that I don’t want the selection committee to wait until Baguley is in a rut of form before making the change, when Begley is ready and performing, play him.

Agreed. He played a role in 5 of 10 first half goals…1st goal (tackle leads to goal), 2nd (Bags i50), 7th (kicks goal on the run), 9th (taps to Brown) and 10th (another i50).

He’s not a star and he’ll get pushed out of our best 22 later this year but he deserves a bit more respect around here.

15 Likes

He’s a tough little bugger, though. Like a terrier.

2 Likes

Me too.
I hope he starts as a Bags replacement, and then may cameo on the wing.

They started running Orazio off HB in the early days, didn’t they? Seems to be a method for bringing through the particularly skinny guys.

2 Likes

Yep, it is. And the coaches do believe this to be the best pathway, as it can get more difficult doing it in the reverse. However, I think/feel Ham has goals in his eyes, and that’s where he needs to be. Meh - just a causal observation.

I also think it’s an easier spot for the smaller guys to find some footy.

Up forward, with an opponent wearing them, often it’s harder to break away and get any space.

Give him a year finding some footy off half back, do another preseason, then get him either onto the ball, or as you’re pushing for, up to the forward line.

Yep, that’s exactly what Harding told me.

Harding knows his stuff.

Tippa played half back in 2016. Not sure what that means.

Should be dropped.

Gives it his all but looks really slow. His pace really hampered a few counter attacks of ours.

Also butchered a few simple kicks inside 50

A popular myth.

5 Likes

What were you saying about stats the other day?

2 Likes

The max speed doesn’t seem to have a great deal of importance if the two highest rated players are Andrews and Robertson, aka Walla’s bunny.

Also how do they determine a sprint effort? And distance covered at high speed, is it high speed for the individual or an average AFL player?

Without knowing how they’ve come up with those numbers all it shows is that Baguley pushes himself to his limits, whatever they be.

1 Like

baggers has been excellent, hasn’t missed a beat the last few games

1 Like

Missed plenty of tackles though

He is not on his Pat Malone there in terms of speaking stats.

I was seriously going to question those stats when I saw Captain Courageous listed in the ‘repeat sprints’.
Then I saw Hodge didn’t make it to a mention in either the top speed or the distance categories.

So 8 times Hodge got himself past a jog for what? - 5 metres at a time? Over two hours.
Blitz levels of fitness.

Until someone knocks off his spot, the coaches will back him in. Up to Lav, Begley ect to perform and make the spot there’s

He’s been excellent?

He’s just doing enough, and he will be replaced once a kid starts to demand that spot. He’s been far from excellent