#12 Mark Baguley

I’ll take that as a friendly tip :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is pretty funny.

But FWIW Deckham is right about the repetitive thing.

1 Like

You scratch my back and I will scratch yours :blush:

I liked it :blush:

Have you got any tips for me?

1 Like

He is really struggling this year, maybe two good quarters only. He really need to lift on Anzac Day if he remains. He has a habit of pulling one out of his ■■■■ when he is under the pump.

More than I could list here…

Edit: Actually, yeah. Join the DJ King thread.

1 Like

I thought I would have at least got a like for defending your boy Parish.

Nope donuts.

Well, I obviously missed it. Otherwise it would have been a like and maybe even a quote!

1 Like

Can’t guarantee I will repeat it again though :blush:

I’m not sure playing a role is good enough.

With Stringer, Raz and Tippa as the other small(er) players, the opposition would have nightmares about how to match up on them. A fully fit Daniher, could result in the best forward line in the comp.

Bags or whoever plays that role should be regularly getting off the chain. They are playing on the weakest defender, with little or no planning put into them. They should be kicking goals.

2 Likes

People who are using “playing a role” are doing so because there is nothing else they can argue with.

I can do that as well. Bags has been “playing the role” of the least effective player in our team.

2 Likes

Ouch.

How’s the output of Laverde Langford been?

1 Like

We only get personal because we care.

1 Like

I think Lav offers a different look to Bags, less manic pressure more of a target and midfield rotations. His power, speed and marking ability as the 6th best forward could allow him to get off that chain.

If we are struggling with pressure we can move him to the middle and put Smith down there for periods.

1 Like

I’ve been supportive of Baguley in the team this year also. He was poor on the weekend and I’m open to us trying another player/s in his role. I just think it’s really important we play someone in a defensive forward role and not just use it as a generic midfield rotation. Our forward pressure last year was awful and Baguley was significant in improving it. It’s why I’m not keen on Laverde to come in as a direct replacement who in my view is poor defensively. Mcgrath, Smith and perhaps Geulfi could play the role. Perhaps they can share the role between them. I think it’s worth tinkering with at this point.

It’s somewhat ironic when people say “who else can play that pressure forward role?” re Bags, considering he’s spent 90% of his career as a small defender - getting creative with positional changes is what has kept him playing senior footy these past couple of years.

Point being: we have a versatile team and there are options outside of the obvious ones.

I’ve been saying all year that I’d like to see Guelfi in that role - not because Bags is terrible - but because I think we’d at least get the same output from Guelfi, with flexibility to rotate through other parts of the ground if needed, much more upside and importantly, a future at the club beyond 2019.

Bags is excellent depth to have when required but I don’t think he should be an automatic starter these days, unless he’s in outstanding form.

9 Likes

We’re not really in a situation where we need to make an urgent change… but at some stage Laverde will be ripping apart the VFL constantly.

It’s a big call to keep baguley in the side with Laverde waiting in the wings.

IMO Baguley is struggling with the pace. A few times he get the ball, and he gets shut down very quickly… and isn’t able to get clean possession. That lack of zip off the mark is hurting him. And he’s simply giving away too many free kicks.

When there are better players in the VFL who are ripping form, a change will need to be made at some stage.

1 Like

Alright…I just watched the Norf replay and I stand by my support of Bags. The stat nerds keep highlighting the 6 frees against but it reads a lot worse than it actually was. Half of them were very tough calls which could have gone either way on a different day.

• One was actually a professional free which slowed a potential quick Norf rebound.
  • One was that horrible ‘take out the legs’ rule where Bags made an epic dive to win the ball while the North player played for the free
  • the last was in the last 2mins of the game there was a high bomb to the wing and Bags got done for a push in the back in a 2v1 situation and was again stiff IMO
  • the others I didn’t even notice so can’t have been too bad

The rest of the game I thought he did his usual stuff winning/halving his 2v1 ground balls/aerial contests, tackling hard, chasing hard, giving off nice handballs to people in better position and even made a couple nice centering kicks - skill wise didn’t do too much wrong. His numbers aren’t flash compared to last years resurgence but he’s playing his part in a forwardline that is the best in the league right now. When you have an in-form Brown, Tippa, Raz, Stringer and Daniher it’s no surprise that a bloke like Baguley is probably not gonna be the one you kick to. As long as our forward line keeps working well, we keep the same setup. If it ain’t broken it doesn’t need fixing.

I do agree that blokes like Bags, Parish, Myers and Guelfi at times are probably the weakest links and are the ones most likely in the gun…but doesn’t mean they should be dropped. Plus Bags is a little luckier than the other guys given we have very little small forward depth.

5 Likes

It doesn’t help his case that umpires punish him for holding the man instead of incorrect disposal

1 Like