#12 Mark Baguley

Got on the end of two great pieces of play and a dodgy free kick for his third.

13 disposals four Clangers and three tackles.

His best game of the year.

And half that game was bad.

But on balance he had a good enough game this week.

Trouble is, I dont see him having a better game than that and the selectors will stick with him until he is horrid.

Same with Myers.

1 Like

Come on people. He’s turned a corner. He got awarded a free kick!!! He was so amazed he thought it was against him. It’s all smooth sailing for him from now on.

5 Likes

3 goals is a really solid effort, despite the fact that two were gift-wrapped and one was from a pretty soft free kick. He still does a lot that frustrates the heck out of me but at least he was able to hit the scoreboard this week.

1 Like

7 goals and 5 goal assists with 4.8 score involvements from 6 games.

On track for a 25+ goal season

I remember when a 20 goal season was a massive achievement and now we will most likely get it from our 7th best forward.

14 Likes

Really good points there L2L. At half time I was preparing the noose. Then he turned it around, quite well actually. I’d say Woosha says he stays. I’d like to think some more muscle might worry the Cats on our forward line.

1 Like

I think his antagonistic presence gives us a good balance up front.

The defenders would be wondering what’s he going to do next. Joe can give em a pat and a cuddle and Bag’s can make them feel super uncomfortable.

The rabid mad dog roaming our forward line has to be unsettling for opponents.

4 Likes

There is no way those GPS stats are reliable for top speeds.

Millimeters are important when measuring this and there is a disclaimer at the bottom.

BAGULEY IS SLOW

3 goals absolutely sugar coats his performace.

One was an easy chest mark 15m out, the other was a joe the goose handball and the other was a dubious free kick

Wrong. Objectively, provably wrong.

3 Likes

He’s a goal-sneaking defensive forward. Wtf did you expect?

3 Likes

Joe the goose?

He gut ran down the field to create that goal. Stringer usually misses from that distance. So that was extremely important and great goal for the team.

With the dubious free kick, at least he was strong enough to hold his ground and not get dominated and clearly out muscled. No offense to Fanta, but in the same situation, wrestling under a high ball, we don’t get that goal.

Bags also nailed a number of tackles that actually stuck, unlike many of our players, and the ball spilt our way.

I’d definitely have Bags in this week as he’s one player I’m confident isn’t going to get rag dolled like an under 14 against Geelong.

13 Likes

It’s funny, when Orazio gets goals over the back, we call him a genius.

I’m not sure what more a small forward can do than put himself in dangerous situations, and then convert the chances he gets.

Anybody who talks down his three goals is just stuck on an agenda, because you wouldn’t talk it down for a player you liked.

32 Likes

4 Likes

Yup, that’s what small forwards are meant to do… poach and kick the opportunistic goals. And 3 goals is a great return for anybody in a forward line, especially in a low scoring game like Thurs was.

1 Like

yep - criticise him for other stuff. But for kicking goals… that makes no sense.
Getting a chance to kick a goal and actually kicking the goal - that’s a big difference.

5 Likes

Had a pretty good game last week and will stay in against the Cats. Will be a week by week proposition depending on form and who else is available.

What I like about him, he has a touch of the mongrel and if he can’t get the ball he will go after someone and interfere with their opportunities. I wish we had more players like him with this temperament.

3 Likes

Baguley still looks to me like a back pocket player playing forward pocket.
But he has tidied up his goal kicking, and his kick into the forwardline isnt bad either. He holds the ball in defensive 50 with tackles etc.

Would I prefer Lav in the side yes but hes injured,
Would I have loved Mozzie to debut on Anzac day, yes, but his Tank is not up to AFL level footy yet.

Baguley lacks strengths - size or speed, but he atttempts to make up for that with work ethic.

Now Begley is getting close to cherry ripe, he probably gets a run in the side soon. Not sure if it will be Baguley that makes way then or another player.

No issue with his second half but he was deplorable in the first half and missed a number of tackles and provided next to no pressure on the opposition. As a defensive small forward even if you aren’t kicking goals you need to be doing those other things which he wasn’t in the first half.

3 Likes