#12 Mark Baguley

Dea or McKenna over Baguley for me after seeing yesterday’s effort.
Unfortunately, his game was riddled with mistakes that cost us a few goals.
He had that injured knee last year.

The end comes fast for some people

2 Likes

He’ll be fine. Just need a couple of games under his belt. He missed the last half on last year. He’s rusty just like the suspended players.

1 Like

AFL prospectus says, “McKenna was underrated defensively last year, conceding just three goals in his 12 AFL games and not losing any of his eight defensive one-on-one contests.”

1 Like

Pfft, facts

3 Likes

Fake News. All fake news.

Oh, so now it matters what position someone played as a junior. I see how it is.

He also played forward and midfield at VFL level. I can’t even recall mentions of him playing backline at VFL, but will accept it could have happened/I’ve forgotten it. But to say we recruited him as a defender seems a pretty long stretch. It certainly wasn’t what the recruiters were saying on draft night.

Nailed it - Mckenna for an Irishman reads it well in the air, actually reads it very well - His weakness is tackling and using his body in congested situations - Baguley is being found out because he is nervous in the last line of defence, and his opponent is dragging him back into that line.

Not to question the good people at champion data, but I’m not sure if that’s correct. I seem to remember him conceding three goals in about 10 minutes against… I can’t remember, stkilda maybe? (last year’s games all blend into one.)

Anyway, I agree that his defensive weaknesses are a bit overblown, but those stats defy my vague recollections.

1 Like

I like Bags - and I think (hope) he has a bit left to offer - but I just got through watching the last and, goodness me, that was an absolute stinker. Like as bad as it gets.

Ffs.
You have one lousy practice match quarter and suddenly you’re a goatfucker.

9 Likes

Ridblitzulous … as ever.

Forgetting his limited season last year? wasn’t much better.

What about the times his opponent slips him too easily and there is no one on one contest? Eight one on ones as a defender in 12 games is strangely low number

1 Like

He was not only injured, but trying to hold the defence up in an extremely inexperienced side that had no cohesion. I thought everyone knew this.

Some will be willing to drop a bloke for the slightest indescretion, and some still won’t get to that point after the club has delisted him, rookie listed him, and delisted him again.

But nobody is arguing that he has had a good preseason game, so there isn’t much to go on but hope that he regains past form.

1 Like

Maybe we need a C Bernardi award for the greatest goat ■■■■■■ each game?

1 Like

Did Murdock get away with pushing him in the back, twice? I thought on both occasions one hand was in his back and there other in the side. He certainly got pushed forward which didn’t happen if you get pushed in the side.

2 Likes

This should be noted for the case for Bags.