#12 Will Setterfield

Played on the wing today out of necessity as I don’t think we have another pure wing on the list behind Duzz and Martin. Setters ain’t a winger.

1 Like

Heppell

No.

1 Like

People complain that we dont give Hobbs, Caldwell and Perkins midfield time yet then complain when setters is outside the middle. They can’t all be in there.

I’d expect Setters to be back inside vs Dunkley next week. Horses for courses

One handed effort to mark when we were switching in the 4th quarter was very poor. They forced the ball all the way down to their forward 50 immediately after it.

2 Likes

I do like Setterfield. We knew getting him though that he is a very one dimensional player and that is as an inside mid. No surprises since he has moved from there he has looked like a deer in headlights again.

2 Likes

He is very good on the inside, and average on the outside. He needs to be played where he excels.

4 Likes

As I think even FCFC realized last year.

Shiel should get nothing

1 Like

Could he have played down back?

Just call a spade a spade. Average player who ran a hot patch when he came to a new club.

BDB has on many occasions about wanting to set people up for success. Yet today, Setterfield was not in the guts, and was out on the wing. which was far from successful.

If the package has replaced his role on the inside, then maybe he doesnt have a role in the team at all. Which is a shame as early games his tackling was a standout.

2 Likes

The best centre square clearance mid 2nd half of last year? That Shiel

2 Likes

I wondered this as well. He seems to like a defensive role and get lost on the wing. Could start in back flank and roll up to stoppages as needed

That fumble on the outer wing in the last few mins costed us badly.

If hes not playing in the guts then play him in the vfl.

He is not a winger!

2 Likes

I think his disposal seems ok for the most part. But now hes struggling to get his hands on it

The thing is, Stringer never plays that role around the ground. Because he can’t do the km’s, he has runs in the middle for centre bounces then pushes forward. Setterfield should be replacing him at every stoppage outside the centre. Thats the biggest area of weakness where we routinely get out-muscled.

16 Likes

The biggest area of weakness where we routinely get out-muscled is when it comes to using that “muscle” between the ears. Both our players and our coaches have been routinely out-thunk for years: at selection, in-play, in-game strategy. This dumbnity is even worse at club management level: giving up the MCG as our home ground, mismanaging the salary cap, appointing a disastrous series of coaches, etc etc etc. Whatever, our whole club is routinely just not smart enough.

1 Like

I had to Google that one.

dumbnity; noun.

1. the state in which one takes a moment to reflect on how dumb the are, usually following an act of dumbness.

2. the realm in which one performs or accomplishes something dumb.

3. “He stubbed his toe quite severely, and took a moment to bask in his dumbnity.”

4. “She removed the hot pocket from the microwave and could clearly see steam rising from it. Knowing this was a clear indication that the inside was essentially lava, yet determined to reign over her kingdom of dumbnity with an iron fist, she bit into it anyway.”

5 Likes

Is this the longest demonstration of a word’s usage in the history of the English language?

1 Like