#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

I’ve noticed it too. But i think the opposition put the clamps on him when he starts to get away on them. He needs to work through that.

Definitely. I’m not really sure it would come as that much of a shock to a lot of supporters. But I reckon a lot of that has to do with his fitness level. A lot of injuries and interruptions would be affecting his ability to run out games.

3 Likes

Is it because he’s regularly coming back from injury… doesn’t have the conditioning to run it out?

I reckon in Raz, Tip, Smith and even Bags, we’ve got a pretty handy small ball brigade… a couple of low trajectory worm burning ‘dirty entries’ from Redman and McKenna would’ve been worth a go last night…even against the Cats last wk.

2 Likes

Doesn’t help when the delivery to him was garbage. Probably should have been released though the middle during that quiet patch just to get around the ball. With his pace he could get away from his man, his kicking skills are elite so he’d hit up targets inside 50 and he could also get goals running back toward the goal. That’s as much a coaching issue as anything…

4 Likes

Yep. Or in the Melbourne game they played him of half back for a while and he was great.

So. On the one hand you have superb TV sports presenters like Lucy Zelic and Les Murray who are religious about ensuring that the ethnic background of players is respected by pronouncing their names correctly.

Aaaaaand - then there’s this guy

2 Likes

boys club alumnus vs ground breaker and poet?

“In Italy, it’s pronounced ‘Fanta-sia’. Guess where we live? Australia. And we call it ‘Fan-tay-sha’,” Taylor said.

7 Likes

“Listen mate. I know you want to be called Fanta-see-a, but this is Australia, so I can call you SlimyWogBoy if I want. Australia maaaaate”

4 Likes

Actually, BT’s been kinda set up to be embarrassed here. Everyone assumed the pronunciation of Fantasia from the start and went with it, and BT took it on as his special call.
Now they finally cotton on to the correct way to say it, and instead of just saying it correctly from now on in games they make a big hoo-hah about how they’ve got it right (pat yourselves on the back, morons) and deliberately left BT out of their “revelation” and wondered about what he’s gonna do. Of course he’s gonna act defensively.

1 Like

I bet Simon Prestigiacomo is like “wait, you can correct them on the pronunciation? Damn”

5 Likes

In fairness to BT, Fantasia has said the same thing only a few weeks ago. And he said he doesn’t mind which pronunciation is used.

3 Likes

They don’t pronounce Laverde properly either. In the past there were Montagna and Giansiracusa, etc. It’s not just Italian names either, obviously.

Nobody in the media can say Daniel Ricciardo correctly. It would be interesting to hear an Italian F1 broadcast.

I have no issue with BT sticking to his guns.

It has taken what 4 years to even check what the correct pronunciation is and now people are concerned?

That’s a great example.

Mind you, sometimes people don’t pronounce their OWN surnames ‘correctly’ after a generation or two, e.g. Laverde and Montagna.

I remember a guy in high school having a big argument with an Italian teacher about how he should pronounce his own name.

all this talk about how to pronounce italian names has me flashing back to laverde’s how to pronounce his own.

laverde it comes from italian

You couldn’t tell me Fantasia isn’t better off for the extra publicity BT has given him over the years.

2 Likes

Exactly.

BT is an entertainier.

1 Like

Why can’t you mispronounce it on purpose like Rex Hunt. Koutafidamides?

3 Likes

I’m already sick of hearing Basil pronounce it correctly.

Also I don’t think Orazio gives two hoots. It was Heppell that brought it up.

The taters are technically mispronouncing McGrath too

6 Likes