#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

who? …

I’m in the midfielder camp. As Ablett has been done to death, I’ll point to Mercuri and Hird as examples of players who had more impact in the midfield despite being great forwards.

No. We only get the Bont if we trade our second round pick for their first. In which case we pretty much get Bont, whoever we’d have taken at pick #10 odd (Picks #10 to #13 were Freeman, Sheed, Lennon, Cripps) and missed out on both Lobb and Merrett (unless Merrett lasted to our third round pick, which we probably keep with no penalties).

More likely scenario if we kept our picks was we take someone at #10 (hopefully Cripps), and get Lobb and Merrett with our two second round picks. Even if the AFL stripped of us only our 1st round pick that would likely have still been on the cards. But can you imagine if we’d walked away from the 2013 draft with Cripps, Lobb, Merrett and Fantasia! :yum:

3 Likes

HFF’rs basically play midfield anyway.

Just because he is selected in the fwd 6 doesn’t mean he is tied to the goal posts

He has proven himself ridiculously dangerous fwd however. The hardest area of ground to do well in. Why move him into permanent midfield rotation?

I will be so disappointed if we don’t leave this bloke forward.

He is dynamite in the F50. He could be the best small forward in the competition at the age of 22.

He plays the role so well, you don’t even have to have good delivery forward. Just put him there and profit.

3 Likes

Disco confirmed this would have happened if there were no draft penalties.

Am I the only one that prefers zerret offer bont anyway?

4 Likes

No

5char

id prefer zerrett over bont because bias. but they are very different players

3 Likes

Pay him more

They’ll probably have a fair few 1-2 finishes in the Brownlow over the years I reckon.

Which bit?

The Lobb/Merrett bit. Said shortly after the draft they were tossing up who to take even on the night and would have taken them both if we had our original picks.

…scenario if we kept our picks was …

we’d walked away from the 2013 draft with Cripps, Lobb, Merrett and Fantasia!

Negative as it was revealed we were sending cameri and our first rounder for the doggies pick 4(?) Before we copped suspensions which we were looking at getting bontempelli with. McCartney at the time said it was all but done untill we got bent over

1 Like

So you don’t think Disco would know?

“I look back at that draft and we gave up two picks that would have finished us off beautifully,” Dodoro said.

“We could have ended up with Cripps and Lobb (and Zach Merrett) in one draft and you’re set. That’s where it really hurts you. The AFL sanctions really hurt.”

Source:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/james-hird-maligners-not-good-people-says-david-zaharakis-20170305-gur1yy.html

2 Likes

You’ll probably find others in here.
Zerrett is a gun but there is no way I wouldn’t take Bont over Zerrett. Bont’s an absolute star.

Kelly(pick 2), Bont(4), Cripps(13) and Zerret(26) are all super exciting players and all will be future superstars of the game. We’re really not that insecure we have to split hairs to say our gun is slightly better than their gun are we. If you’re not happing with winning a draft or think we should have won more then read this list of losers.

Melbourne had pick 2 and 20, got Dom Tyson and Cristian Salem
Collingwood picked Scharenberg(6) and Freeman(10)
Richmond Ben Lennon(12)
Brisbane, Aish(7) Darcy Gardiner(22) and Daniel McStay(25)
Gold Coast, Kolodjashni (5) and Jack Leslie (20)

So 4 of those clubs had several cracks at the cherry and missed the cream. StKilda had 3 picks in the top 20 too but Billings, Dunstan, Acres isn’t a bad crop to walk away with, but they still missed the guns.

2 Likes

It’ll turn out being one of the great drafts.
Zerrett was one of the steels of the draft.
And to get him and Orazio we made out like bandits.

9 Likes

Still to lose your first two picks in one of the great drafts when your recruiting team are on fire, that does hurt.

Cripps is a beast, but losing out on Lobb hurts more because a player like him is so rare being an agile ruck forward, when even a decent ruck prospect is so hard to find.

6 Likes

They are that good we could end with 2 of the rope three players in the draft. Scary good drafting without a first rounder.

1 Like