#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

Back in! Stick that up your jumper port.

14 Likes

Fantasia continues our comeback story
Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce young forward, Orazio Fantasia, has signed a new two year contract extension.

The 21 year-old’s new deal will see him Don the Sash until the end of 2019.

Fantasia said he is excited to be part of the Club’s Comeback Story.

“Essendon has such a strong culture and I’m thrilled to be a part of such a proud Club,” Fantasia said.

“Melbourne is my home now and I want to be a leader of this football Club over the next few years, alongside Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett and Joe Daniher.

“We know there is a lot of hard work ahead, but we want to take this Club to its next period of sustained success.

“It’s a very exciting time for this Club and I’m pumped to be part of it.”

After playing in the midfield and defence in his first two seasons, Fantasia excelled when he was moved into the forward line in 2016.

His blistering pace and nose for goal helped him boot 29 goals in 19 games last season. The impressive tally saw him finish behind Joe Daniher on the Bombers leading goal kicker list.

Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said Fantasia has shown he is committed to helping the Club achieve sustained success.

“Orazio is a young man of strong character who sets a high standard with his commitment to training,” Worsfold said.

“He’ll form a key part of our forward group this season and his willingness to learn gives me a lot of confidence that Essendon fans are going to have an exciting player to watch over the next few years.”

Recruited from Norwood in the SANFL, Fantasia was selected by the Bombers with the 55th overall pick in the 2013 National Draft.

List and Recruiting Manager, Adrian Dodoro, said Orazio was one of a number of young players who had benefited from the exposure to regular senior football last season.

“Orazio had an outstanding season in 2016 and was one of the bright lights to come from a tough year when it came to results on the scoreboard,” Dodoro said.

“His development was fast tracked to the point where he became one of the most exciting small forwards in the competition.

“He’s an exciting talent that brings speed to our forward line, and in time could add plenty of dash to our midfield.

“Orazio is extremely highly regarded for his professionalism, and he is a great team member who we believe has the potential to develop into a Club leader in the future.”

Orazio has played 27 games for the Club and kicked 31 goals

29 Likes

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like
27 Likes

The most important signing of the uncontracted players in 2017. That is fantastic news!

3 Likes

Excellent, excellent, fantastic, fantastic news.

1 Like

Parish is equally important.

9 Likes

Oh, didn’t realise he was uncontracted. 100% agree, sign him up next please.

1 Like

JD also.

“It’s a very exciting time for this Club and I’m pumped to be part of it.”

9 Likes

Would have preferred more than 2 years!

1 Like

Perfect :ok_hand:

I’ll be out the back having a @Stallion if anyone needs me!!!

6 Likes

Outstanding. Would’ve knocked back some massive interest from the SA clubs, too.

Take that panic merchants, was only a matter of time. He absolutely loves the club

19 Likes

Great news I was a little worried about him heading back to SA.

Awesome news!

I’m sure they took that into account when he decided on what he preferred…

RAAZZZZZZZ

I’m actually surprised. I genuinely thought that he’d be hard to hold on to and we would have speculation all year.
Great news for us. I’d say the most promising young small forward in the competition.

2 Likes