#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

He’s like Robbie Gray, complete with the fragile body and everything

1 Like

He didn’t run there I assume

To make doubly sure it was iced enough.

2 Likes

apparently icing straight after injury may not be the best method? there’s a fair few articles on it claiming that the icing slows down inflammation, therefore healing. i’m no medico, obviously, just an interested onlooker.

here’s one of many articles, from the guy who came up with RICE.

http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html
Summary:
Why Ice Delays Recovery

When I wrote my best-selling Sportsmedicine Book in 1978, I coined the term RICE ( R est, I ce, C ompression, E levation) for the treatment of athletic injuries (Little Brown and Co., page 94). Ice has been a standard treatment for injuries and sore muscles because it helps to relieve pain caused by injured tissue. Coaches have used my “RICE” guideline for decades, but now it appears that both Ice and complete Rest may delay healing, instead of helping.

In a recent study, athletes were told to exercise so intensely that they developed severe muscle damage that caused extensive muscle soreness. Although cooling delayed swelling, it did not hasten recovery from this muscle damage ( The American Journal of Sports Medicine , June 2013). A summary of 22 scientific articles found almost no evidence that ice and compression hastened healing over the use of compression alone, although ice plus exercise may marginally help to heal ankle sprains ( The American Journal of Sports Medicine , January, 2004;32(1):251-261).

1 Like

Raz and his Hammies he really should get that checked out or try to change the way he plays so he don’t hurt the Hammy.

Limited rotations might have been a bigger issue for Raz given the type of game he plays, lots of explosive movements, turn on a dime etc.

1 Like

Hurt his hammy when he went for the run on the boundary.

Recommits!!! Thanks Raz

10 Likes

Unexpected great news

Saw the email flick up on phone with Raz in header and expected an injury related negative.

4 Likes

Where is this reported?

Email to members:

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce Orazio Fantasia has extended his contract with the Bombers for an additional two years.

The contract extension will see Fantasia don the sash until at least the end of 2021.

Fantasia said he was never in doubt about his future with the Bombers.

“The decision to remain at Essendon was easy. I will always miss my family and friends but Essendon is like my second home, I have been here for five years and to stick around for another three is going to be awesome,” Fantasia said.

“There is an incredible bond between all of the boys, we really care for each other. I am confident we are heading in the right direction as a group.

“I believe the future of the club is bright, it’s really exciting. If we stick together as a group for the next few years, the possibilities of what we can achieve are endless.”

Fantasia has played 60 games for Essendon since being selected by the Bombers with pick number 55 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said Fantasia’s attitude and commitment to the club are admirable.

“At only 21 years of age his leadership both on and off the field are outstanding. He consistently demonstrates the values of the Essendon Football Club,” Worsfold said.

"Orazio is an exciting young player for the club. His willingness to learn gives me a lot of confidence in what he can achieve.

“He is an outstanding role model and leader and we are excited to have him at the club for a further three years.”

22 Likes

Now we just need to get his hamstrings to re-commit.

16 Likes

F’KING Rippa! Whoohooo Raz for another 2 years (at least)… Very happy with that. I hope we have plenty of room in the salary cap in two years time.

1 Like

suck ■■■■ port and crows

7 Likes

Better than the unexpected email a few years ago saying he had resigned.

1 Like

3 years time

Even better!

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
HE GON GIVE IT TO YA

Awesome news

2 Likes

his hammy must be really bad if they’re softening us up with some fluff™

1 Like

Fantasia adds some more razzle dazzle for Dons

Mitch Cleary

Aug 14, 2018 12:00PM

Orazio Fantasia will be a Bomber at least until the end of the 2021 season

ESSENDON livewire Orazio Fantasia has re-committed to a club he sees as his “second family” for a further two seasons.

Fantasia, who will miss Friday’s season-defining clash with Richmond due to a hamstring complaint, said he never felt the urge to explore his footballing options.

Already contracted for next season, the South Australian has signed until the end of 2021.

“I love this place, this is like my second family now,” Fantasia told AFL.com.au .

"I’ve been here for five years already. I had next year already contracted (and to make it) another three years, I’m super excited.

"The bond we share in the locker room – I think Myersy (David Myers) said it on the weekend, the love we have for each other has grown massively.

“I miss my family of course, my family come over as often as they can … I was never really looking to go home.”

Fantasia was taken off in the final term of last week’s win over St Kilda with hamstring tightness before scans confirmed a minor strain.

It is his fourth separate injury this season, having already missed seven matches through knee, groin and adductor setbacks.

“It is frustrating, but that’s just footy,” Fantasia said.

"If you look back, the past two seasons (2016 and 2017) were some of my better seasons and had I full pre-seasons and got that work in.

"This year, I didn’t really start full training (until) January or February, I had the 'scope (surgery) on my knee which set me back a little bit.

“They’re the sort of things, I feel like I’m playing catch-up a little bit. (I) can play five or six games and get a bit fatigued and get injured again.”

Should the Bombers upset the Tigers and keep their slim finals hopes alive, Fantasia will be hoping to continue his form in recent returns from injury, if fit to play Port Adelaide in round 23.

Following his adductor injury in rounds 16 and 17, the 22-year-old returned to kick five goals against Fremantle in round 18.

“I’ve been injured a fair few times this year and then been able to come straight back into the team and have an impact, so fingers crossed,” he said.

Fantasia was this year elevated to the leadership group for the first time, a role he wants to maintain.

While he studies a Diploma of Business away from the club, his golf battles with teammates have drawn them closer together this year.

With the addition of recruits Devon Smith and Jake Stringer this year, the Bombers’ rivalry has stepped up a notch.

“We’ve created a little golf tournament, the ‘EFC Open’,” Fantasia said.

"I reckon we’ve got about 25-30 boys playing at the moment. We’re running a stableford points comp – to make it quite even everyone plays off their handicap.

"We’ve played about five rounds so far and we’ll just keep going until we eventually find a winner. We’re looking for about 10 rounds and then a championship round.

“We’ve got a few sharks in the group, Marty Gleeson and Michael Hurley lied about their handicaps at the start so they’ve gone off to an early lead and we’re just trying to draw them in.”

As the end of season golf to Barnbougle in Tasmania awaits, Fantasia will be hoping for reason to push it back, starting with a win on Friday night at the MCG.

3 Likes