#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

Just an observation, after all the other playing group had left the field this morning Fantasia remained to practice his goal kicking.

7 Likes

Just plucked this from the club website… and apologise in advance for some of the poor memories it invokes.

Just keep in mind that Fantasia turned 21 last year, and played in a side that finished last and averaged 9 goals a game. It really is quite some effort relative to our small forward options of previous years.

Best goal kicking returns by a small/mid-sized forwards

2016: Orazio Fantasia (29) - Overall winner: Joe Daniher (43)

2015: Dyson Heppell (13) – Overall winner: Joe Daniher (34)

2014: Paul Chapman (22) – Overall winner: Joe Daniher (28)

2013: Stewart Crameri (30) – Overall winner: Stewart Crameri (30)

2012: Stewart Crameri (32) – Overall winner: Stewart Crameri (32)

2011: Stewart Crameri (34) – Overall winner: Stewart Crameri (34)

2010: Angus Monfries (24) – Overall winner: Angus Monfries (24)

2009: Angus Monfries (25) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (35)

2008: Brent Stanton (18) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (62)

2007: Mark McVeigh (20) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (62)

2006: Angus Monfries (22) – Overall winner: Scott Lucas (67)

2005: Mark Johnson (29) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (59)

2004: Justin Murphy (24) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (96)

2003: Damian Cupido (39) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (93)

2002: Paul Barnard (23) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (47)

2001: Blake Caracella (25) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (105)

2000: Blake Caracella (35) – Overall winner: Matthew Lloyd (109)

2 Likes

christ our forwardline has been abysmal

4 Likes

When have there ever been a fair few 1-2 finishes in brownlow history between 2 players?

Every year actually.

10 Likes

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/how-essendon-lost-the-chance-to-draft-marcus-bontempelli/news-story/d9655ef6fe5fedb48965649277b01200

In late 2013, the Bombers had a little-known plan to nab the young superstar midfielder.

Before the AFL penalties were announced on August 27, 2013, the Bombers were talking with the Western Bulldogs on a deal for goalkicker Stewart Crameri.

At the time, Essendon was lined up to have pick No.11 and was prepared to package it and goalkicker Crameri in exchange for the Dogs’ pick No.4.

The Bombers planned to trade Stewart Crameri and pick 11 in exchange for pick 4 to secure Marcus Bontempelli.
With it, the Bombers would have taken 193cm Bontempelli, who they were believed to rate the best player in the 2013 draft

1 Like

How horrible that we ended up with Zerrett and Fantasia instead…

2 Likes

A 1-2 finish refers to the same team, unless you think Brock-Moffat was a 1-2 finish.

Not complaining at all, just backing up what I said that’s all

Yep, I’d heard/read that bit before.

That is a scenario, but not the plan. As referred to in later posts, the plan was to get Pick #4 for our 1st and Crameri. If that happens, we take Bontempelli and only have a single second round pick. So we only take one of Zerrett or Lobb.

The only way we end up with three of the four (Bont, Cripps, Zerrett & Lobb) is if either:
a) we trade for pick #4, take Lobb in the second round, and Zerrett lasts to our 3rd round pick (which is presumably kept if there are no draft sanctions).
b) Bulldogs decide to keep #4 and trade #26, and we end up taking Cripps, Merrett and Lobb (as per your scenario).

1 Like

We could never get the 3, Our second rounder would have been in the 30’s after Lobb was taken.

1 Like

Probably would have taken Lennon with our first pick anyway. :sweat:

OK that’s a joke. Jackets and crew have been good for a few years now, but simply saying we would have got Cripps is going full blitz.

Needs to pick up the Farking thing and stop kicking it along the ground.

Cooked.
Delist.

Still hard to know the absolute truth.

I’m not sure anyone is sure.

I was going by a quote from Dodoro, but on closer inspection it doesn’t 100% hold up.

Going from the article posted by @Jake_Brady_10 the plan to get Bont wasn’t a certainty and as @Ants indicates that deal probably would have been at the expense of both a chance to pick Cripps and the pick we used for Zerrett. That doesn’t sound an optimal outcome to me.

And although if we had retained pick 11 we would have had a live pick when Cripps was on the table, I am not sure Dodoro isn’t been revisionist when he said:

“I look back at that draft and we gave up two picks that would have finished us off beautifully,” Dodoro said.

“We could have ended up with Cripps and Lobb (and Zach Merrett) in one draft and you’re set. That’s where it really hurts you. The AFL sanctions really hurt.”

Given the fact that Lobb went at pick 29 and the pick we would have had would have been 31 means we would never have been in the hunt.

The other aspect is this. The only universe in which we get any first and second round picks is one with no sanctions, which also means no disqualification from the finals and Carlton picking before us because they finish 9th to our 7th.

To be disqualified from the finals and be promoted in the draft was never on the cards.

So in short, all things considered, we did pretty damn well in a draft where we may have missed Bont, but got Zerrett, and we effectively upgraded Gumby for Raz.

2 Likes

Probably got sick of picking the thing up and being ridden like a cheap ■■■■■ today and not getting a single free kick

4 Likes

Get used to the attention, Orazio.

It’s gonna be like that a lot this year.

5 Likes

Yep, but I’d like to set him pushed much higher up the ground when marked like that. He could add some much needed defensive pressure around the ball with his pace if nothing else

2 Likes

The attention will follow him.

Yeah but say least up there there is more people around so someone can step off their line and clobber them

1 Like