#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

I’ve heard multiple people state that he will get a tag now.

Seriously, he is a forward. Defenders play on him. They defend. Fwds are always “tagged” but it’s not called tagging it’s called defending.

And I’m not sure any defender is going to try harder now… More that he will just get the number 1 small defender every week. Which he already has been anyway.

Raz will just keep being Raz!

17 Likes

Saying that he will more than likely be the focus of an increased physical intent throughout games from the opposition is not the same as saying he will get ‘tagged’, which is stupid. I was one who mentioned the former.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how he goes on the best lock down defenders in the game. But, as people have mentioned, that’s when someone else gets to fill the breach.

I reckon Geelong put a lot of physical attention into him, in the preseason match, and I felt Raz struggled to have an impact in that match.

carlton will certainly target him on Sunday and Daniher & Hooker will be there to look after RAZ

I think Zaka should start close to goal with Fantasia to force Simpson, Thomas or Docherty to play as deep defenders.

Make Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman & Macredie play out of position with Daniher, Hooker, Langford playing high up the ground and the high half forward -extra mid (parish)

I am prepared to accept at least a +1% error in that calculation.

2 Likes

As others have said: you put the focus on Raz and then Tippa will pop up. Or Joey, or Hooksey etc etc. Having more than one seriously good forward is going to make it next to impossible for other teams to keep them all quiet

How about 10%?

1 Like

FFS small fwds don’t get “tagged”

1 Like

Raz will be the first after his second bag this week.

If he is getting suffocated up forward you put him up on a wing and see whether the lockdown defenders can run with him.

Who are the best small defenders in the comp by the way?

And yes Geelong did seem to put a bit of work into him. Iirc it was Mackie and ruggles primarily. How many did tippa kick that game again? And i don’t think we swung Fanta around in that game. Id love to see him go head to head with ruggles on the wing.

2 Likes

I remember ■■■■ Carlton putting Hogg on Moorcroft and Bewick after big games, and them not getting a kick. Different days though, when stifling a forward was all a defender had to do.

Hog hog hog

Sorry, Rex Hunt’s calling style popped into my head immediately.

Say what you want about rex but in the early nineties was there a better caller to listen to in a close game? Sure a lot of it was dribble and it made the action difficult to follow but the energy was unbelievable

5 Likes

I will accept 50% error, so long as it is +50% and not -50%!

2 Likes

Probably the worst caller I have ever heard.

8 Likes

not sure this has been mentioned - Raz went into the middle in the last qtr and had a beautiful clearance - one that not many at Ess can execute. it was one of may fave plays of the game.

4 Likes

A few years ago I would’ve said Kade Simpson. Still a good player (FarkCarlton).

Pops Kelly?

Baguley?

uhhh need to watch more teams. I just remember simpson because he’d be BOG for them almost every time we play them.

1 Like

Geelong did do him over physically, not surprising with Chris Scott as coach, I will be happy if Cale is there next time, wouldn’t mind Francis or Smack being there either, and Joe is more physically developed this year too.

Hopefully the umpires will do their job though, a couple of more goals from free kicks would be the best remedy (I can dream).

Prior to that game against WC in 93 I couldn’t stand him. I was in Lorne and listening on the radio. We weren’t going too well so at half time I switched from lo to aw and didn’t go back for the rest of the year.

I can understand why people would find Rex’s schtick irritating but as long as we weren’t trailing or weren’t playing I found it entertaining.

1 Like

Rex was alright early doors, I really enjoyed him in the, “Galloping Gasometer” days.

Got a bit carried away with his own hype as he went on though.

3 Likes